December Observations and Discussions

gosaints

The Canadian would make most on this forum very happy if it came true.  

attachicon.gifdec. 9.png

..at least it's trying :)

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Another big storm system is poised to target the Plains/Midwest/Lakes region in the 6-10 day range.  The system n question is approaching Japan and will be targeting the region over the next 24-36 hours.  Models take the system in a SW/NE track and rapidly intensify as it heads up into the North Pacific.  BTW, this is the system that is going to bomb out in the Bearing Sea over the next 3-6 days.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2015120918/gfs_mslpa_wpac_7.png

12z EPS starting to see this storms potential...

The "Nanook from the North" continues to show up on the GFS in the long range...Christmas Eve daytime high temps...Lol, I wonder what the excuse would be if this comes close to being true.  The GFS trend has been for a -AO/-NAO/-EPO...there are plenty of storms to track in the extended.  Somebody in this sub forum is going to cash in big before Christmas.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2015120918/gfs_T2m_us_51.png

Can someone please ban maxium and GDR?

Don't think a ban is warranted, but it would be great if there was a "block user" function where a certain poster(s) comments don't get displayed when enacted.  Mods, is this a possible function to add in the future?

The "Nanook from the North" continues to show up on the GFS in the long range...Christmas Eve daytime high temps...Lol, I wonder what the excuse would be if this comes close to being true.  The GFS trend has been for a -AO/-NAO/-EPO...there are plenty of storms to track in the extended.  Somebody in this sub forum is going to cash in big before Christmas.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2015120918/gfs_T2m_us_51.png

I'm sure it'll be moderated in later runs.

Well, GFS craziness continues with a good snowstorm in Oklahoma late next week. Lol. It will be gone tomorrow but at least it's inside 200 hours. Next run it will be 45°.

Sooner or later you'll cash in.  GFS has been trending stronger on the blocking...you can see based on the individual runs that model trends have been to high on the chart and over the past several days its heading more deeper into negative territory from the 12th and beyond.  Tonight's 00z run had a positive EPO so the "Nanook of the north" stayed put....could care less so long we get plenty of snowstorms to track.

Sooner or later you'll cash in. GFS has been trending stronger on the blocking...you can see based on the individual runs that model trends have been to high on the chart and over the past several days its heading more deeper into negative territory from the 12th and beyond. Tonight's 00z run had a positive EPO so the "Nanook of the north" stayed put....could care less so long we get plenty of snowstorms to track.

I know. Actually, things really are going the way I thought they would but it just seems like it will never get here. I'm just impatient.

Record highs over here tomorrow around 60. Wasnt expecting that on December 10th. It literally seems like spring. Way mild and the grass is actually green, not brown. Massive H dominating my area on GFS for much of the model run. DMX calling for heavy rain this weekend before things go back to being quiet. Good thing is that winter doesn't actually begin til the 21st.

Glad to see that the models are dialing in on a more wintry pattern after the "lead" system Sun/Mon departs and transitions the pattern into a colder one.  Gotta say, even temps in the upper 20's are going to be a shock to the system after tomorrow's highs near 60F.  

• Like 1

Looks like another storm brewing around the 19th-20th with some respectable cold. Misses me for the most part but at least there's a snow signal this far south I guess. Trying to stay positive.

As Tom said, our winter is coming. I'd rather have it in late December-February than November or March anyway. It will be worth the wait

• Like 1

Sooner or later you'll cash in.  GFS has been trending stronger on the blocking...you can see based on the individual runs that model trends have been to high on the chart and over the past several days its heading more deeper into negative territory from the 12th and beyond.  Tonight's 00z run had a positive EPO so the "Nanook of the north" stayed put....could care less so long we get plenty of snowstorms to track.

Cold air has to come into the lower 48 if the NAO and AO both go negative. Think the models are trying to catch up with the changes in the indices later next week.

We all knew this week would be a mild one.

Will be glad when this dull weather stretch is over.

• Like 3

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Cold air has to come into the lower 48 if the NAO and AO both go negative. Think the models are trying to catch up with the changes in the indices later next week.

We all knew this week would be a mild one.

Will be glad when this dull weather stretch is over.

Seems to be the case and something I learned over the years.  I'd be worried if the GFS started trending positive as we get closer, but instead, it's trending negative.  On another note, the GEFS T574 sniffed this pattern out way earlier than any other model.  It's a pretty good model to look at in the longer range for guidance.

• Like 2

The sun has just broken thru the clouds and the temp in now up to 51° here at my house. This is already the warmest December 10th since 1993 in Grand Rapids and the forecasted high of around 60 would be the warmest since a 62° (that’s the record for the date) set in 1971.  Here is what the GRR NWS office has to say about the week end.

http://www.weather.gov/grr/NearRecordTemperatures

After our warmest fall.  December is up to about +11.. Could crack 50 today.    If the the GFS is on to anything its a blowtorch straight through next tuesday.  It continues to struggle with where to take the pattern in the mid-long range.  12z drastically different from 0z.