December 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Had to get my snow fix by driving to the Whatcom/Skagit County border line

http://i.imgur.com/du1Zdquh.jpg

Did they clear that spin out? They had it down to one lane when we went through about 40min ago.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Guest Winterdog

How much snow did you get?

Just enough to whiten the grass a bit. It's drizzling now and 35F so I'm waving goodbye to the snow for perhaps another year. Did you add to your total?
  • Like 1

Well on a more somber note, 12z ECMWF snowfall map shows nothing through Christmas morning. Even took away the trace-1 inch shown on the 00z. Hoping for the CZ that is shown on 12z GFS to materialize, seems like that will be our best (i.e. only) hope.

On Wundermap there is actually a pretty good c-zone signature on the 12z Euro. Early Christmas morning at 48 hours out. Looks good for Snohomish and maybe Skagit Counties. 

On Wundermap there is actually a pretty good c-zone signature on the 12z Euro. Early Christmas morning at 48 hours out. Looks good for Snohomish and maybe Skagit Counties. 

Pretty light precip though... would be nice to a strong double-barreled c-zone slip south through all of the area.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Did they clear that spin out? They had it down to one lane when we went through about 40min ago.

By the time I headed back north they had it cleared. Had to take side roads just to get to Alger though because the freeway was at a standstill on my way down

Just enough to whiten the grass a bit. It's drizzling now and 35F so I'm waving goodbye to the snow for perhaps another year. Did you add to your total?

The ticks at the end of my tape measure were to small to get an accurate snow measurement, plus the grass blades were in the way. So gave up. :)  Next winter I guess.

Is this part of the PV breaking off and heading to the central US at day 10 on the ECMWF??

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!240!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2015122312!!chart.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Is this part of the PV breaking off and heading to the central US at day 10 on the ECMWF??

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!240!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2015122312!!chart.gif

I don't think it's actually heading into the central U.S. Though it does look like the Midwest might finally get the first real Arctic air mass of the winter a couple days before that.

The EPO and AO are both trending downwards. Unfortunately, the PNA is headed up.

A forum for the end of the world.

well even with onshore flow it still was snowing here for about 20 minutes with that last shower.

Everything has been frozen precip here today... no rain at all.

And yet nothing to show for it.   You would think it could stick to the snow we still have the ground.

I don't think it's actually heading into the central U.S. Though it does look like the Midwest might finally get the first real Arctic air mass of the winter a couple days before that.

The EPO and AO are both trending downwards. Unfortunately, the PNA is headed up.

Though the +PNA looks to possibly be short lived!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

By the time I headed back north they had it cleared. Had to take side roads just to get to Alger though because the freeway was at a standstill on my way down

Gotcha, yeah all it takes is some slush these days and people loose control. As soon as we got to the point where there was some snow on the road the person in front of me slammed on their brakes...for no reason...I just don't get it. Does make for some free entertainment I guess! Anyway 37 degrees back at home and cloudy.
  • Like 1

I have the worse kind of snow, about 2 sloppy inches on the ground constantly melting, until a heavy shower comes through, and starts as chunky rain, turns to heavy wet snow. rinse, repeat.   I know I am more fortunate than most to have snow at all, but compared to people who have snow currently, i have the worst kind.

Got maps!

Latest hi-res NAM favors the South Sound for a little snow tonight/tomorrow AM.

attachicon.gifget_orig_img.png

Meanwhile, the latest HRRR also likes the lowlands of south King/north Pierce counties for tonight (Jim??).

attachicon.gifget_orig_img (1).png

You think this is a better set up than last night? 

Yesterday the HRRR also showed wide spread snow. All we got was a cold shower on our hopes =) 

I have the worse kind of snow, about 2 sloppy inches on the ground constantly melting, until a heavy shower comes through, and starts as chunky rain, turns to heavy wet snow. rinse, repeat. I know I am more fortunate than most to have snow at all, but compared to people who have snow currently, i have the worst kind.

The ONLY thing worse than snow is the worst kind of snow.

• Like 3

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

You think this is a better set up than last night? 

Yesterday the HRRR also showed wide spread snow. All we got was a cold shower on our hopes =) 

I think the fact that both models show accumulation in the same general area is a good sign. Temps will obviously be marginal again, but people are seeing snow in the heavier showers today, so wouldn't surprise me at all if heavier showers tonight bring the snow level down to 250' or so at times.

A forum for the end of the world.