January 2016 in the PNW

crf450ish

Prozac prescriptions for all!

I thought it was Xanax prescriptions for all?

Boring weather...but 10yrs from now when we have a similar winter I will be basking in feet of snow while living somewhere in the Methow Valley area while all of your west enders are enjoying your 44 degree drizzle fest.

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

In our climate it's actually closer to spring than winter now. There will be cherry blossoms in a few weeks!

There will be some cherry blossoms in the next couple weeks in Seattle.   They started blooming during the last week of January last year.

Grass is definitely greening up here... daffodils are well up now... the ground is soft and no longer frozen... and our hellebores plants (native) are starting to bloom as well.

Our family in MN and WI would say this feels like late April for them.      Nothing too unusual for us... and of course even when this happens it usually snows again in March anyways.   That is almost a given.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

There will be some cherry blossoms in the next couple weeks in Seattle. They started blooming during the last week of January last year.

Grass is definitely greening up here... daffodils are well up now... the ground is soft and no longer frozen... and our hellebores plants (native) are starting to bloom as well.

Our family in MN and WI would say this feels like late April for them. Nothing too unusual for us... and of course even when this happens it usually snows again in March anyways. That is almost a given.

If find it very hard to believe that your ground would thaw before April, if not May. Just incredible.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

If find it very hard to believe that your ground would thaw before April, if not May. Just incredible.

Point being... the ground was frozen here and there was snow on the ground for almost a month and now its totally thawed out and the grass has gone from brown to fairly green and things are starting to grow and bloom.   The evolution in the last couple weeks has been very 'springlike' in the traditional sense of the term and from my point of reference growing up where the ground was frozen until April and the lakes were frozen until early May sometimes.    Of course spring-like conditions in the winter are totally normal in the lowlands of WA and OR.   Even in the coldest years.   But it still feels like spring to me.  

And when I am running into Costco in Issaquah in a couple weeks and the road into the parking lot is then lined with flowering pink cherry trees... it will be hard to say it feels like winter even if its raining every day.  

Simple observations... happens every year.   Nothing different about this year at all.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Point being... the ground was frozen here and there was snow on the ground for almost a month and now its totally thawed out and the grass has gone from brown to fairly green and things are starting to grow and bloom.   The evolution in the last couple weeks has been very 'springlike' in the traditional sense of the term and from my point of reference growing up where the ground was frozen until April and the lakes were frozen until early May sometimes.    Of course spring-like conditions in the winter are totally normal in the lowlands of WA and OR.   Even in the coldest years.   But it still feels like spring to me.  

And when I am running into Costco in Issaquah in a couple weeks and the road into the parking lot is then lined with flowering pink cherry trees... it will be hard to say it feels like winter even if its raining every day.  

Simple observations... happens every year.   Nothing different about this year at all.

What a great store!

Not only do they offer a wide range of fabulous products at unbeatable prices, they provide excellent ammunition for weather forum trolls as well!  You don't even have to be a member to drive through the parking lot!

• Like 2

What a great store!

Not only do they offer a wide range of fabulous products at unbeatable prices, they provide excellent ammunition for weather forum trolls as well! You don't even have to be a member to drive through the parking lot!

Talking about a concentration of cherry trees planted along the roads in that area... always burst into spring color early. Probably in 2 weeks.

Cherry trees in North Bend open up a week later.

It's a very noticeable sign of the changing seasons. I have always been in tune with this stuff since I was little.

Talking about a concentration of cherry trees planted along the roads in that area... always burst into spring color early. Probably in 2 weeks.

Cherry trees in North Bend open up a week later.

It's a very noticeable sign of the changing seasons. I have always been in tune with this stuff since I was little.

There are lots of things to like about spring.

• Like 1

Not so much in the April - June period here in most years.    The biggest gap between my natural expectation and reality.     Seems strange to have 50s and even low 60s in February many years and then still have 50s and rain in May.     It is what it is.    

Not so much in the April - June period here in most years.    The biggest gap between my natural expectation and reality.     Seems strange to have 50s and even low 60s in February many years and then still have 50s and rain in May.     It is what it is.    

Many of our May's lately have been very nice. It's usually June that is crappy. (minus last year)

Many of our May's lately have been very nice. It's usually June that is crappy. (minus last year)

No complaints the last couple years at all. But endless rainy and cold little league games with my kids are still burned in my memory. :)

No complaints the last couple years at all. But endless rainy and cold little league games with my kids are still burned in my memory. :)

Though highly doubtful...I am really hoping for one more repeat of the amazing weather we had the last two spring and summers.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Nope... allergies.. Killer.

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Though highly doubtful...I am really hoping for one more repeat of the amazing weather we had the last two spring and summers.

Was to hot.

• Like 1

2013/2014 Winter season

Of course spring-like conditions in the winter are totally normal in the lowlands of WA and OR.   Even in the coldest years.   But it still feels like spring to me.  

I'm in the highlands, and I had False Springs in Klamath Falls last couple January's and February's. 55-60 degree highs, absolutely no snow to be seen over 4000 feet. I wore t-shirts many afternoons. No coats (except for in the morning). When there was moisture it was in the form of rain 90% of the time.

But of course this winter it's doing what it's supposed to in the mountains ;)

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I'm in the highlands, and I had False Springs in Klamath Falls last couple January's and February's. 55-60 degree highs, absolutely no snow to be seen over 4000 feet. I wore t-shirts many afternoons. No coats (except for in the morning). When there was moisture it was in the form of rain 90% of the time.

But of course this winter it's doing what it's supposed to in the mountains ;)

Don't you mean this spring?

Well, Jesse caught me in a literary brain-fade moment yesterday so I really can't say too much, but I have noticed lately a tendency for even highly literate posters, both here and on other forums I visit, to end a sentence with "too" when they mean "to," as in "I didn't mean too." What is up with that?

As for calling the last two spring/summers "amazing," I don't think the people affected by the numerous and destructive wildfires would agree. Neither would the drought-stressed trees and wildlife, if they could voice an opinion.

We don't have that problem up here. Having nice weather in May and June is always wonderful after 9 months of rain.

We don't have that problem up here. Having nice weather in May and June is always wonderful after 9 months of rain.

Exactly Tim. Which is why I moved to the east side. The gloom over there makes me feel tense. I left and now I feel a little less tense due to the weather. Sunshine does wonderful things, not to mention I never have to worry about shoes coming off ever single time I enter the house, even if I'm just passing through.
  • Like 1

Exactly Tim. Which is why I moved to the east side. The gloom over there makes me feel tense. I left and now I feel a little less tense due to the weather. Sunshine does wonderful things, not to mention I never have to worry about shoes coming off ever single time I enter the house, even if I'm just passing through.

I was mostly barefoot outside for 6 months last year.     The only time I put on shoes was to mow the lawn or if the deck and driveway were much too hot for comfort.    

Maybe some -3C onshore flow and 2.000 foot snow levels in about 10 days per the 00Z GFS.

We might still have a day or two that ends up a little below normal at the very end of the month.   

True, although mine have waned the last several years. My wife is a routine sufferer though.

If I forget my medication just for a day between April to July, I'm 100% stuck in bed. Worst 3 months of my life.

2013/2014 Winter season

Liking the looks of the ECMWF.  An MJO wave in 4 / 5 is as close a thing as there is to a sure bet for below normal temps for us.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yep... And between March 1st and mid April the atmospheric setup will become epic for what would be lots of snow if it occurred in January. ;)

Your posts get so tiresome.  You are putting way too much stock in just the last few years.  These things are cyclical.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Sure doesn't match up with what I've observed.  This winter is an excellent example.  This will be our third maritime continent MJO wave and each one brought our coldest weather of the season.

I guess the 4 and 5 maps aren't terrible, but I think there is more of a cold signal than that.  It may come down to whether the wave is weak or strong also.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

To me amazing would be the summers we used to have.  Much drier and much cooler overall.  It's obvious the offshore surface high used to exert more influence on our summers than recent years.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Sure doesn't match up with what I've observed.  This winter is an excellent example.  This will be our third maritime continent MJO wave and each one brought our coldest weather of the season.

I guess the 4 and 5 maps aren't terrible, but I think there is more of a cold signal than that.  It may come down to whether the wave is weak or strong also.

Yea, it would be nice if there was a more in depth breakdown of things somewhere.