January 2016 in the PNW

crf450ish

My 2 cents and since there's not much else to discuss:

Tend to agree with Jesse on this one - when called out for this, luvssnow points the couple posts he makes every now and again that could be considered 'positive' but chooses to ignore the other 95% of his posts that are 'negative' or along the lines of 'models might show potential but it won't happen.... our climate can't deliver.... carrots... dangling carrots... carrots... keep chasing carrots... carrots...'

Although with that being said, similiar to Tim, no matter how many times you may point it out, it's a lost cause because they choose not to see what everyone else sees. Plus, he usually finishes his 'negative' posts with "But we will see!" or "Not saying it WONT happen" to try and negate the fact he just said a couple sentences ago that it's not going to happen. Always found that odd.

Very well said.

My 2 cents and since there's not much else to discuss:

Tend to agree with Jesse on this one - when called out for this, luvssnow points the couple posts he makes every now and again that could be considered 'positive' but chooses to ignore the other 95% of his posts that are 'negative' or along the lines of 'models might show potential but it won't happen.... our climate can't deliver.... carrots... dangling carrots... carrots... keep chasing carrots... carrots...'

Although with that being said, similiar to Tim, no matter how many times you may point it out, it's a lost cause because they choose not to see what everyone else sees. Plus, he usually finishes his 'negative' posts with "But we will see!" or "Not saying it WONT happen" to try and negate the fact he just said a couple sentences ago that it's not going to happen. Always found that odd.

Thanks hawks twelve ... Noted and I will call it how I see it. And yes there are models showing signs of potential. Leave it at that. :)

EDIT: the use of carrots is just having fun and being silly no matter how you want to see that. For example here: http://theweatherforums.com/index.php/topic/1136-january-2016-in-the-pnw/?p=111721

That was not a negative post but a hopeful one BTW. :) thanks..

• Like 1

Thanks hawks twelve ... Noted and I will call it how I see it. And yes there is models showing signs of potential. Leave it at that. :)

EDIT: the use of carrots is just having fun and being silly no matter how you want to see that. For example here: http://theweatherforums.com/index.php/topic/1136-january-2016-in-the-pnw/?p=111721

That was not a negative post but a hopeful one BTW. :) thanks..

FWIW, the carrot thing stopped being funny maybe 50 posts ago.

• Like 1

Yes... colder rain! Back to the 60s for Fred though. :(

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!240!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2016012212!!chart.gif

That makes me happy. After all that snow it's only right ;)

Point forecast for Phil is almost comical...

1-2 inches this afternoon.

10-16 inches tonight.

9-13 inches tomorrow.

1-3 inches tomorrow night.

34 inches on the high side!   Its like a forecast for Mt Rainier in a big storm.   :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Clearly there will be a longwave trough and another crack at winter in the next two weeks. It's far out but most operational GFS runs this week have consistently shown Fraser River outflow in the 2/1 to 2/3 timeframe. Groundhog's Day snowstorm threat lives on.

Feb 2014 redux???

Dumping snow in DC... where is Phil?

I'm keeping my observations in the eastern forum.

I think the wording in our blizzard warning is more awe-inspiring than the forecasted snow totals. I love El Niño winters. :)

I'm keeping my observations in the eastern forum.

I think the wording in our blizzard warning is more awe-inspiring than the forecasted snow totals. I love El Niño winters. :)

Well... you have had nothing so far and probably nothing more after this storm.   So it might be a 2-day winter for you.   An awesome 2 days for sure... but most of the winter has been mild and boring there.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Clearly there will be a longwave trough and another crack at winter in the next two weeks. It's far out but most operational GFS runs this week have consistently shown Fraser River outflow in the 2/1 to 2/3 timeframe. Groundhog's Day snowstorm threat lives on.

Yep

Pretty good agreement among the 12z Euro ensembles on a sharp offshore ridge developing around the end of the month.

Yeah, and nice improvement today. Call me crazy, but it's somewhat starting to mirror 2014 in terms of potential, not what is shown YET. 

Yep

Yeah, and nice improvement today. Call me crazy, but it's somewhat starting to mirror 2014 in terms of potential, not what is shown YET.

No. Maybe similar to Dec 23/24

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

That was a brutally cold airmass as well. Wasn't there -20 850s into NE Washington?

How about the late February 2014 Fraser river trickle, I am trying to remember how that one unfolded?

That was another big arctic airmass that largely went east of the Rockies. We were on the far southwestern peripheries of it and were able to get some cold offshore flow. 

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2014/us0223.php

Well... you have had nothing so far and probably nothing more after this storm. So it might be a 2-day winter for you. An awesome 2 days for sure... but most of the winter has been mild and boring there.

That's like every winter here, lol.

We'll probably score again in February. ;) Another round of heavy blocking upcoming next month.

The models simply did a horrible job of handling the disturbance currently effecting the NW.  No way did I see two clear nights with temps dropping below freezing on both in the cards.

Also...with the pattern becoming Ninaish again.  I didn't say it was happening yet, but with an Indain Ocean MJO eventually making its way to the Maritime Continent, it is not going to yield a typical Nino pattern later in the month.  The ECMWF ensemble and parallel ECMWF have been advertising rising heights over the NE Pacific in the near furture.  Not Ninoish.

At any rate this will be nowhere near the type of January you normally see with a major El Nino.  More lowland freezing low temps and more snow in the mountains than typical.  The numbers for many major cities so far this month are running well below normal.  I know it drives Tim nuts so he has to point out that SEA may average above normal for the month.  One of the warmest stations in relation to normal.

Justin... this was just a week ago.   ;)

Feb 2014 redux???

You never know. We just need the offshore block to hold a bit longer than models currently show and the deeper northeast flow/arctic air would drop right over us. Models though fairly consistent in undercutting the ridge too soon, but still might be cold enough for snow if there is any moisture with 850s -5c or colder and offshore flow.

You never know. We just need the offshore block to hold a bit longer than models currently show and the deeper northeast flow/arctic air would drop right over us. Models though fairly consistent in undercutting the ridge too soon, but still might be cold enough for snow if there is any moisture with 850s -5c or colder and offshore flow.

Are you tracking the NE storm?   

Need some updates here from Fred. Should be getting pretty interesting at his house by now.

I'm sure he is busy frolicking in it.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!