July 2016 Observation and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

this may end up being a 3 day batch of 90+ days, then back to normal.

If I were a betting man I'd put my money on something like that.

3-4 day stretch of heat followed by maybe a strong marine push? Normal summer fare for our climate.

We've lost 3° of noon-time solar elevation and over 30 minutes of daylight since the solstice now. :)

Rapidly approaching mid-May levels.

Yet climatologically, the warmest 30 day stretch of the year is straight ahead. Brace yourself...though I do believe August will be cooler than July this year.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Yet climatologically, the warmest 30 day stretch of the year is straight ahead. Brace yourself...though I do believe August will be cooler than July this year.

I think July 15th- August 15th could be argued as the warmest 30-31 day period of the year here.

Bold call for August. We'll see.

• Like 1

I think July 15th- August 15th could be argued as the warmest 30-31 day period of the year here.

Bold call for August. We'll see.

It's very close between 7/15-8/15 and 7/20-8/20. Probably depends on the individual station.

Been going with August as the "cool" month of the summer since the forecast contest. If this upcoming ridging episode happens mainly before the end of the month, I like my chances.

Either way, I'll be sure to hammer home my points with tons of model maps, obscure analogs, relentless OLM updates, and challenges to others over the coming month.

• Like 2

18Z is sure a warm run, not really a major heat wave but just solidly above normal from Sunday onwards. Supports Phil's call of a ridgy period in early August. Hoping the models trend towards a quick spike of heat followed by a crash or a return to more normal conditions.

Very cool.

That is a nice area.    

Or geoscience work too.

Yeah it seems pretty nice. Got a view clear over to the Olympics - at least the southern end right now. 

Definitely a warm one today with that sun angle.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

It's very close between 7/15-8/15 and 7/20-8/20. Probably depends on the individual station.

Been going with August as the "cool" month of the summer since the forecast contest. If this upcoming ridging episode happens mainly before the end of the month, I like my chances.

Either way, I'll be sure to hammer home my points with tons of model maps, obscure analogs, relentless OLM updates, and challenges to others over the coming month.

Just adding to this, nearly every every day from July 10 through August 17 has a record high of 100+ at PDX with a pronounced dropoff from the 18th on with only a few scattered 100+ days here and there. SEA shows the same thing, with nearly every day from the 2nd week of July until August 17th with a record high in the mid 90s or higher, but they're much rarer from the 18th onwards.

Also it's an odd quirk of history that PDX has never hit 100 during the first 3 days of August, considering that's basically the absolute peak of our summer climo. The only other days in that 7/10 to 8/17 stretch that have failed to hit 100 are 7/22 and 7/26.

• Like 2

Just adding to this, nearly every every day from July 10 through August 17 has a record high of 100+ at PDX with a pronounced dropoff from the 18th on with only a few scattered 100+ days here and there. SEA shows the same thing, with nearly every day from the 2nd week of July until August 17th with a record high in the mid 90s or higher, but they're much rarer from the 18th onwards.

Also it's an odd quirk of history that PDX has never hit 100 during the first 3 days of August, considering that's basically the absolute peak of our summer climo. The only other days in that 7/10 to 8/17 stretch that have failed to hit 100 are 7/22 and 7/26.

This is exactly what makes 9/2/88 (1988...Tim's fav!) one of the most spectacularly anomalous days in PNW history.

SLE: 104

PDX: 105 (3 degrees warmer than they've ever been in June, and 4 degrees warmer than any other September day)

SEA: 98 (only 1 degree cooler than their hottest August day on record and 4 degrees warmer than any other September day)

Only other comparable September event would be 1944, but I think that one was a tad cooler overall.

Or geoscience work too.

Yeah it seems pretty nice. Got a view clear over to the Olympics - at least the southern end right now. 

Definitely a warm one today with that sun angle.

Sun angle is higher at your home in WI.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This is exactly what makes 9/2/88 (1988...Tim's fav!) one of the most spectacularly anomalous days in PNW history.

SLE: 104

PDX: 105 (3 degrees warmer than they've ever been in June, and 4 degrees warmer than any other September day)

SEA: 98 (only 1 degree cooler than their hottest August day on record and 4 degrees warmer than any other September day)

Only other comparable September event would be 1944, but I think that one was a tad cooler overall.

Yep, definitely a crazy heat wave. I think 9/2/88 also has the warmest 850mb temps on record for the western lowlands, which makes sense because how else would you get that warm in early September?

http://i.imgur.com/8jBzKot.png

http://i.imgur.com/vQ6HyOd.png?1

Lower dp equals colder lows?

Sometimes.

Although the dewpoint will probably go up again this evening after the daytime mixing settles down.

GFS MOS shows 67 still at 11 p.m. and low of 58 by morning.    Also shows a high tomorrow of 82.   

Enjoy the cold weather!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Friday and Saturday are cooler on the 00Z GFS. It found yet one more trough for Saturday that was not there before.

How does tomorrow look? I swapped my normal Friday off for tomorrow since all signs were pointing towards a nice Thursday and a crappy Friday. Planning on playing on the lake all day tomorrow!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

How does tomorrow look? I swapped my normal Friday off for tomorrow since all signs were pointing towards a nice Thursday and a crappy Friday. Planning on playing on the lake all day tomorrow!

Looks awesome... get out by noon.   There could be some clouds and possible convection later in the afternoon.  

Here is 2 p.m.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/wrfrt/data/current_gfs/images_d3/wa_tsfc.21.0000.gif

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/wrfrt/data/current_gfs/images_d3/intcld.21.0000.gif

Ridge is much farther west on the long range 00z GFS. Why does this feel familiar? ;)

Now the Goofus is right in the 10-15 day range?

Now the Goofus is right in the 10-15 day range?

Did I say that? :lol:

GooFuS does roughy match the 12z EPS, though.

It cleared out really nicely to the west near sunset tonight.

post-7-0-51560400-1469079793_thumb.jpg

Peaked at 82° here.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

00z ECMWF farther west again, ridge starting to overturn by d9. Verbatim, would begin another discontinuous retrogression.

Chilly air gets into west-central WA by d9. This has the looks of a ridge that will end up in the GOA.