August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

I think our inability to come up with a below normal August this century is all related to our inability to get a cold January. We are stuck in a rut. This month could still pull it out, but it's looking less likely.

SEA should have easily pulled three consecutive days in the -6 to -9 bracket out of this ULL and it didn't come close.

Well again, you can't just look at SEA for anomalies...I mean, you can, but not for accurate comparisons to the past.

OLM has had a number of below normal Augusts this century. 2010-2012 Augusts were all easily below normal, and 2009, 2007, 2006, 2002, and 2001 were also cooler than normal.

I think what you're looking for is a very cool August.

A forum for the end of the world.

I guess the good thing you can say about the last few model runs is they don't show a Western death ridge developing. It's pretty much up for grabs how the second half of the month will pan out.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I guess the good thing you can say about the last few model runs is they don't show a Western death ridge developing. It's pretty much up for grabs how the second half of the month will pan out.

The large trough and the large ridge on previous runs appears to have been an incorrect and exaggerated response to tropical systems in the WPAC. Neither seem to be in play now.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Well again, you can't just look at SEA for anomalies...I mean, you can, but not for accurate comparisons to the past.

OLM has had a number of below normal Augusts this century. 2010-2012 Augusts were all easily below normal, and 2009, 2007, 2006, 2002, and 2001 were also cooler than normal.

I think what you're looking for is a very cool August.

As always with these modern cold anomalies, they're a lot less fun if you're willing to look at the entire period of record rather than just the 1981-2010 averages. Looking at the months you listed based on OLM's entire period of record:

2012: +1.2 (and .5 above normal even using the 1981-2010 averages, by the way)

2011: -.4

2010: -.3

2009: -.3

2007: -1

2006: -1

2002: -.8

2001: -.6

None of these months are particularly impressive. And OLM's period of record isn't even that long, only starting in 1948 - obviously, had they started recording at the beginning of the 20th century, the period of record would be considerably cooler and make these recent Augusts look even less impressive.

It's pretty interesting looking at the rankings since 1895 for the Puget Sound Lowlands. It turns out August and January both went warm right after 1980. For the Puget Sound Lowlands as a whole there has not been a below normal August since 2000. At the same time there have only been 3 below normal Januaries since 1993, and they were BARELY below. I'm betting we will see below normal Januaries and below normal Augusts return about the same time. Which one will turn first is completely up in the air.

Another interesting thing I found on there is Washington state ranked 47 out of 121 for temperature in July this year while the Puget Sound lowlands ranked 92 out of 121. A pretty huge discrepancy.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It's pretty interesting looking at the rankings since 1895 for the Puget Sound Lowlands. It turns out August and January both went warm right after 1980. For the Puget Sound Lowlands as a whole there has not been a below normal August since 2000. At the same time there have only been 3 below normal Januaries since 1993, and they were BARELY below. I'm betting we will see below normal Januaries and below normal Augusts return about the same time. Which one will turn first is completely up in the air.

Another interesting thing I found on there is Washington state ranked 47 out of 121 for temperature in July this year while the Puget Sound lowlands ranked 92 out of 121. A pretty huge discrepancy.

Just to illustrate your point:

http://i.imgur.com/rmO30OX.png

http://i.imgur.com/P1SuDQK.png

I'd like to know how this tool handles UHI, if at all, though.

A good number of the stations are rural or semi rural. That makes it much more useful than using strictly city records.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Those are the regional rankings, so it incorporates every COOP station throughout the Puget Sound region (I believe a 4 or 5 county swath).  Many of them are rural and suburban and therefore not very heavily UHI influenced, but the UHI stations are obviously included also. 

It's probably very fair to say that we have now gone 16 years (2000) since our last regionally cold August.

The ECMWF agrees with the GFS in showing relatively high height zonal flow for the 6 to 10 day period. Temperatures will pretty much be at the mercy of surface pressure gradients.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

As always with these modern cold anomalies, they're a lot less fun if you're willing to look at the entire period of record rather than just the 1981-2010 averages. Looking at the months you listed based on OLM's entire period of record:

2012: +1.2 (and .5 above normal even using the 1981-2010 averages, by the way)

2011: -.4

2010: -.3

2009: -.3

2007: -1

2006: -1

2002: -.8

2001: -.6

None of these months are particularly impressive. And OLM's period of record isn't even that long, only starting in 1948 - obviously, had they started recording at the beginning of the 20th century, the period of record would be considerably cooler and make these recent Augusts look even less impressive.

I was looking at OLM's entire period of record. Your numbers don't match the WRCC numbers.

EDIT: I see the issue, I was looking at July instead of August on the WRCC site for some years. Still, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, 2002, 2001, and 2000 were all below the long term, period of record average at OLM.  Half the years so far this century.

A forum for the end of the world.

The ECMWF agrees with the GFS in showing relatively high height zonal flow for the 6 to 10 day period. Temperatures will pretty much be at the mercy of surface pressure gradients.

So you are saying our snowy January will be determined by the whims of onshore flow and marine layer in mid-August?    :rolleyes: 

Maybe in a warming climate... some months don't warm uniformly?     But having an inversion next week would not make it snow in January.    I think that should be rather obvious.      

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looks like the models are finally figuring out the tropical systems...and hence the change for the weekend and next week locally.

They'll flip cool for late August IMO. Hifreq WAF props into lowfreq Niña waveguide by the 3rd week of August should result in NPAC height rises during the 4th week of the month, and downstream western troughing from then into at least the first week of September.

• Like 1

The large trough and the large ridge on previous runs appears to have been an incorrect and exaggerated response to tropical systems in the WPAC. Neither seem to be in play now.

Well, now do you realize that tropical forcing (in general) indeed plays an important role in your weather, year round? ;)

The biggest shift in balance over the last 50yrs is not the planetary warming, rather, it's the Hadley cell expansion & associated poleward jet retraction (which has had an exaggerated effect on the Western US and Europe, less impact on the Eastern US and Siberia/China et al).

It's definitely played out troughier/cooler so far than you were thinking in late July. ;)

I said 8/5 to 8/15 at one point. Might have been a little too aggressive.

You said no support for sustained ridging in August. What would constitute sustained ridging?

Sustained (on a subseasonal scale) = multi-week.

You said a lot of things at different points, but towards the end of July you definitely said 8/1 - 8/10 would end up warm. Oh wells.

Oh wells.

Also said that did not work out and it would be cool.

Big deal.

I don't control it.

It's kind of funny how we're expected to "move on" when an easily above average ten day period ends up below average, but when things swing the other way it gets driven home until our eyes bleed.

Mentioned the model trends a couple times since yesterday. Eyes bleed? :)

Wow.

You said no support for sustained ridging in August.  What would constitute sustained ridging?

The models aren't showing any sustained ridging in the believable range. Pretty much zonal flow for the 6 to 10 day period.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Sitting at 60° with heavy overcast this morning.

Some say it will be a cool August, some warm to hot. Well - we'll eventually see how it plays out.

GEFS has the Pacific Northwest largely above normal in the next 2 weeks.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs-ens&region=wus&pkg=T2maMean&runtime=2016080912&fh=120&xpos=0&ypos=171

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

The models aren't showing any sustained ridging in the believable range. Pretty much zonal flow for the 6 to 10 day period.

Yep... just some 80+ degree troughing and zonal flow. Call it arctic air if you want.

Yep... just some 80+ degree troughing and zonal flow. Call it arctic air if you want.

We'll see. The warmth gets knocked back on Sunday and Monday and another push could easily emerge on the models for later next week.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

We'll see. The warmth gets knocked back on Sunday and Monday and another push could easily emerge on the models for later next week.

Indeed. The 12z GFS ensembles don't look torchy by any means.

And it's a decent pattern for surprise marine layer days.

We will see. January snow hangs in the balance of the marine layer intrusion strength next week!

The 12z Euro is nice. Cooler overall than the GFS.

I like the tendency toward offshore ridging rebuilding toward the end of the run.

Looks poised for an amplifying GOA ridge in the 11 to 15 day period.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9