August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

GFS has PDX 94 Thursday, 97 Friday, 94 Saturday.

Well, remember the GFS has an exaggerated diurnal temperature cycle, sometimes by 5-8+ degrees. I'd go with MOS guidance in this case, over both the WRF & the raw/untuned model output.

Plus the ECMWF/EPS, CMC, and GEFS are much cooler.

• Like 1

In other news I was taking a look at the temperatures up in Sandspit and they are running well above average up that way; The overnight lows particularly standout.

Is that up on Haida Gwaii? Doesn't surprise me too much. Seems like warm anomalies have increased moving north this summer.

Over the next 10 days, the 12z ECMWF only has four warm days @ PDX (two days in the low/mid 80s, two in the low 90s) followed by another string of cooler than average weather/troughing.

As has been the case since June, troughing looks to dominate in the long run, with the occasional 3-4 day warm spike.

MOS usually runs a few degrees cool doesn't it?

I am not confident about anything. All I said was it "could" get hot next week. It's on the table at this point.

Will be fun to watch. I actually plan to make a forecast contest.

I'm not feeling a big event, but who knows, I could be wrong.

When PDX hit 90, SLE 95 and EUG 94 two days ago this is what the GEM and GFS were calling for just one day out. The GEM was -3 for PDX, -7 for SLE and -5 for EUG. The GFS was -2 for PDX, -4 for SLE and -6 for EUG. These are pretty big misses for just a day out and both models were too cold.

Remember that every model was biased warm during the 7/25 to 7/29 event. The reference to last week doesn't exactly prove anything.

• Like 1

Remember that every model was biased warm during the 7/25 to 7/29 event. The reference to last week doesn't exactly prove anything.

Last Thursday was a strange animal. The models suddenly switched to showing much more robust offshore flow the night before.

I agree that it doesn't have any bearing on future events, obviously.

• Like 1

Is it just me or are the trees showing quite a bit more color than usual for this point in the summer? I wonder if they're still feeling the stress from last summer and this year's warm/dry spring.

I've been noticing the same thing. We could use a good rain event down here.

• Like 1

Upper 50s to low 60s feels a little humid at home. We have had a lot of that this summer. Upper 40s and low 50s is not humid. Jesse is being a d×ck again. Others have said it has felt sort of humid from Seattle to Vancouver. Including Jim. IT HAS. Quit telling people what it feels like.

Yes! This year has felt much more humid than last year even with the slightly cooler temps.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Seattle looks socked in good... going to be a cool day there regardless of any clearing now.

Looks sunny at our house though.

Clouds are just now breaking up here now. 66 degrees.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Pretty incredible that PDX is only 71 with a DP of 49 at 3pm despite sunshine most of the day. Feels like a September afternoon.

Jim did mention that today would have a September feel to it!

Seattle looks socked in good... going to be a cool day there regardless of any clearing now.

Looks sunny at our house though.  

Yeah it was really socked in with clouds until 3pm here. Still plenty of clouds around. 67° right now.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

So I did eventually bother to clip down stuff and upload a video. Around 20 minutes worth of footage cut down to 3 minutes. There was so much more lightning that didn't pick up, I guess in the daylight it's difficult for even my new cameras to capture that stuff. During the May 4th storm I used the exact same camera and it picked up dozens of flashes/bolts with relative ease.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 22
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

The new 18z GFS pumps up the ridge directly over the PNW in the long range. Models will flip flop over the next coming days but eventually should put the ridge closer to us and less offshore.

http://i.imgur.com/YyEjG4N.png

Pretty scienticious analysis, my friend.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

The new 18z GFS pumps up the ridge directly over the PNW in the long range. Models will flip flop over the next coming days but eventually should put the ridge closer to us and less offshore

Hour 384? Really dude?

Maybe it'll get pushed so far back even the clown range 18z GFS won't pick up on it. :lol:

I've already explained why I think a west coast ridge will form in earlier posts. I don't want to bore people with my analysis.

I hope you realize the "typhoon rule" (as some call it) refers to resultant cyclonic wavebreaking that occurs within one week of the recurve, right?

The ridging you're referring to (18z GFS) all occurs beyond 300hrs, as in, it'd have nothing to do with the typhoon. Sometimes, these recurving typhoons have little to no effect on the jet/wavetrain to begin with. It's a complicated interaction that really isn't something that should be relied on too heavily.

The problem is these rules aren't really "rules" at all, because they very often fail. This is something you'll come to realize over time, I suspect, as the curve fitting and excuse making comes home to roost.

OLM was -9 today, -13 on the high. That's legit.

Seriously legit.... this little stationary ULL is impressive.    Very unusual situation.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looks like my storms today failed to trigger. A couple tiny ones in Northern CA earlier but nothing in southern Oregon all day or evening so far. The AFD did mention some night storms but I would imagine by 12-1am the chance is no longer there. 

Maybe next week I'll get another.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 22
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15,