August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Very localized rainfall around here today. I had less than a hundredth, but less than 5 miles to my west they had .29".

It's been very dry here over the last few weeks. Today's rainfall was the first measurable since July 16th, and I've only received .12" since July 9th.

I won't use the "D" word, but we could really use a good soaking as everything is looking pretty parched. It's nothing like last summer, but we're running a pretty large deficit for the year.

Yeah, not even a drop of rain here either.

PDX was just as cold as OLM today.

Tumwater is going to the dogs, man. Changing times....

Nice. UHI is mostly negated by cloudiness.

Of course, the point was that I said midnight lows could occur last night, and one indeed did at OLM. Probably a few other places too.

A forum for the end of the world.

Upper 50's for lows up here this morning.  Looks like +7F for a low at Victoria, probably +4F at Shawnigan Lake. 

So weird how you guys seem to stay warm regardless of the pattern lately. I'm sure you are enjoying it though.

I see Bellingham had a pretty mild low too. It looks like there was a lot more mixing/cloudiness up north. They had SSE winds most the night there.

We had the benefit of a cool, dry airmass and a mostly clear night down here. Now the marine layer has moved in. I could see PDX pulling off a -3 or -4 today. Maybe even a -5 if they manage to stay in the 70s.

They were -3 yesterday and the day before.

So weird how you guys seem to stay warm regardless of the pattern lately. I'm sure you are enjoying it though.

A perfect storm for mild lows.  Looks like the last below average low at YYJ was July 6th.  Not much in the way of clear, calm nights.  The mean low for July was only 0.5F cooler than in 2015 and warmer than in 2014. 

• Like 1

Stayed pretty cloudy last night, so the temp stayed up. 56° for a low. Now at 65° with mostly cloudy skies.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Exactly.

Wouldn't have brought attention to it, but Timmy tried to call me out. That guy.

I was talking about SEA when you made you the midnight low comment. ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I can see the clearing to the south and west. Not quite here yet.

Slight chance of showers in the forecast for the weekend now.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I see Bellingham had a pretty mild low too. It looks like there was a lot more mixing/cloudiness up north. They had SSE winds most the night there.

We had the benefit of a cool, dry airmass and a mostly clear night down here. Now the marine layer has moved in. I could see PDX pulling off a -3 or -4 today. Maybe even a -5 if they manage to stay in the 70s.

They were -3 yesterday and the day before.

It was cloudy most of the night and actually rained this morning for the first time since I’ve been home (July 19th). The last two days have felt a little like fall though; overcast and mild. 

• Like 1