August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

The summer without a summer marches on. I can already feel the warm September taking shape to make up for all this.

It's a lot of up and down lately. Are September's going into a first year la Niña usually warm and dry?

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

It's a lot of up and down lately. Are September's going into a first year la Niña usually warm and dry?

I've never really been able to get a feel for what constitutes a strong September signal around here. I think most atmospheric circulation states favor warm and dry, though.

Clouds are showing signs of breaking up some to the south and west. They'll probably hang around for the most part today though.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

After some fairly cool (or maybe normal?) mid-summer weather a brief warmup is on tap for late this week into the first half of the weekend. PDX looks to make a run at 90+ Friday and Saturday...perhaps Thursday as well. Sharp cooldown by Sunday with a decent marine push on models for late Saturday. Near normal next week (either side of 80) but potential exists for another warm period as we get into the 11-15 day timeframe. GFS/Euro ensemble mean suggests a few days in the upper 80s to near 90 which is a solid warm signal that far out.

• Like 1

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

After some fairly cool (or maybe normal?) mid-summer weather a brief warmup is on tap for late this week into the first half of the weekend. PDX looks to make a run at 90+ Friday and Saturday...perhaps Thursday as well. Sharp cooldown by Sunday with a decent marine push on models for late Saturday. Near normal next week (either side of 80) but potential exists for another warm period as we get into the 11-15 day timeframe. GFS/Euro ensemble mean suggests a few days in the upper 80s to near 90 which is a solid warm signal that far out.

Definitely cool. Monthly departures to date, and these will drop more after today and tomorrow. The western lowlands overall should be between -2 and -4 through the 10th.

SEA: -1.5

OLM: -2.7

PDX: -1.8

EUG: -1.6

A forum for the end of the world.

Definitely cool. Monthly departures to date, and these will drop more after today and tomorrow. The western lowlands overall should be between -2 and -4 through the 10th.

SEA: -1.5

OLM: -2.7

PDX: -1.8

EUG: -1.6

Its early yet.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

My Dad (who lives in Sarasota, FL) has been up in Everett, WA since Saturday w/ family. He just called the mid-60s weather "heavenly".

So again, the complaining is hilarious and literally is comparable to Florida people whining about cold.

• Like 1

My Dad (who lives in Sarasota, FL) has been up in Everett, WA since Saturday w/ family. He just called the mid-60s weather "heavenly".

So again, the complaining is hilarious and literally is comparable to Florida people whining about cold.

:)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Obviously. Look at the context of the post.

Regardless of how the rest of the month plays out, it's been a notably cool period, coolest of the summer to date. Coolest 10 day summer period in some time.

Absolutely.

Pretty disappointing model trends today. We could easily end up above normal for the month if it verifies. Maybe a below normal August is impossible this century. That having been said sudden model changes like this are often unreliable.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I agree. Cool weather in the summer is very refreshing.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Also have to put it in context. We have 40s and 50s with clouds and rain for much of the year. When you live in Florida it's a novelty. So to say we should be happy about our summer weather being just slightly above our winter weather is just as stupid.

For those that track these types of stats, it would appear that PDX will break a couple of really weak records today. Record low max for today is 68º and the daily rainfall total record is only 0.08" for the day. 

PDX high for the day so far is 64º with a rainfall amount of 0.08"

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Up to 67° with some sun. Been some pretty good showers over the Stevens Pass area for several hours.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

For those that track these types of stats, it would appear that PDX will break a couple of really weak records today. Record low max for today is 68º and the daily rainfall total record is only 0.08" for the day. 

PDX high for the day so far is 64º with a rainfall amount of 0.08"

Up to 68 now. Probably a high around 70. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Up to 68 now. Probably a high around 70. 

Looks like they topped off at 69º. Missed the record by a degree but still coolest day since the end of June.

At least with another small rain band moving in the rainfall record should fall.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Was up to 73F here earlier, but the clouds have started to thicken and temps have cooled slightly. Just 0.01" of rain from this ULL so far here.

Hit about 72F here in Vic today and the relative warmth has carried right through the evening as the cloud deck hit just prior to sunset. Could make for a warm night but I'm hoping we can at least pick up a few showers before the morning. We've been in close proximity to the ULL for the past 3~4 days and haven't got so much as a drop of rain to show for it; feels like a waste. A lot of the local trees are looking stressed and quickly losing leaves, not so different from last summer even if it is running cooler. 

I would love to see the pattern it would take to get SEA to have a well below normal day this summer. This entire summer the pattern has been akin to needing a shotgun to hit the broad side of a barn. I have seen lesser anomalous patterns yield better minuses. Kind of frustrating.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Hit about 72F here in Vic today and the relative warmth has carried right through the evening as the cloud deck hit just prior to sunset. Could make for a warm night but I'm hoping we can at least pick up a few showers before the morning. We've been in close proximity to the ULL for the past 3~4 days and haven't got so much as a drop of rain to show for it; feels like a waste. A lot of the local trees are looking stressed and quickly losing leaves, not so different from last summer even if it is running cooler.

Much greener here this summer than last.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I would love to see the pattern it would take to get SEA to have a well below normal day this summer. This entire summer the pattern has been akin to needing a shotgun to hit the broad side of a barn. I have seen lesser anomalous patterns yield better minuses. Kind of frustrating.

I thought you liked snow?   It can't snow right now.  Don't worry about it.  Whether it was 68 or 73 at SEA today has no bearing on whether it snows in January.  

The 12z Euro really wasn't too bad. Paradise compared to the last two Augusts.

SEA had 9 days below normal last August and 3.28 inches of rain.      :)

I see trees that are dead from last summer... but its very green in our area as well  

Was up to 73F here earlier, but the clouds have started to thicken and temps have cooled slightly. Just 0.01" of rain from this ULL so far here.

Temp managed to peak at 71°. Spiked up briefly around 4:30 when the sun came out for a bit. 0.01" of rain today with a grand total of 0.14" from this system.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

I thought you liked snow?   It can't snow right now.  Don't worry about.   Whether it was 68 or 73 at SEA today has no bearing on whether it snows in January.

I think our inability to come up with a below normal August this century is all related to our inability to get a cold January. We are stuck in a rut. This month could still pull it out, but it's looking less likely.

SEA should have easily pulled three consecutive days in the -6 to -9 bracket out of this ULL and it didn't come close.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I think our inability to come up with a below normal August this century is all related to our inability to get a cold January. We are stuck in a rut. This month could still pull it out, but it's looking less likely.

SEA should have easily pulled three consecutive days in the -6 to -9 bracket out of this ULL and it didn't come close.

I don't think they are related at all.    And January could still end up snowy and cold.

Side note... tomorrow looks like a solid marine layer day.    More than today which benefited from the ULL being overhead.   So tomorrow will be cooler in Seattle.