December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Looking really good for the East Puget Sound Lowlands tomorrow night.  Very wet run and we get good cold air advection going into it.  The WRF shows 1000 foot temps below freezing for this area tomorrow night.  Could easily be 2 to 4 inches if this verifies.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I would actually call this a poor mans November 1996.  Very similar situation, but we had a bit colder air to work with on that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looking really good for the East Puget Sound Lowlands tomorrow night. Very wet run and we get good cold air advection going into it. The WRF shows 1000 foot temps below freezing for this area tomorrow night. Could easily be 2 to 4 inches if this verifies.

Yup WRF still looks decent. Pushing 2-4 inches for east king county maybe.

IMG_5732.PNG

WRF shows some light snow in the Salem area Saturday morning. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

00z GFS even more impressive with the Eurasian ridge relative to its 18z run. Will see what the clown range consequences are shortly..

I would say more than just a bit colder. We had a 23/19 day here with that.

I was thinking the same thing... not just a bit colder.   There was WAY more cold air to work with back then.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You will receive 2 inches of snow. Just enough to freshen up your slowly depleting, sloppy snow pack.

Longest I've seen snow on the ground here in the 8 years I've lived here. It snowed on December 5th and haven't seen my grass since. Still about 6" give or take around everywhere. Usual suspects, north sides of buildings, streets with trees to the south etc. etc. still have more than that. And the beat seems to go on and on for awhile more still.

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Seattle WA

830 PM PST Thu Dec 22 2016

.SYNOPSIS...A large, somewhat cool upper level trough approaching the region will bring lovely 33-35 degree light rain at times to Western Washington later tonight through Saturday. We at the NWS are gleefully removing any possibility of lowland snow from our forecast.  An upper level ridge will build over the region Christmas Day with cool and dry weather with no possibility of snow. An active snowless weather pattern will resume early next week as a mild westerly flow aloft directs a series of weather systems across the region with no possibility of lowland snow.

.SHORT TERM...RADAR shows the precip shield approaching the area. This should fall as 35 degree rain much to our delight. We expect Tim to see some slush but otherwise expect periodic rain with the SW flow aloft. Accumulations will be light, ranging from a few hundredths of an inch of rain along the coast and over the north interior, to 1 to 4 tenths around Puget Sound and over the SW interior.

LONG TERM…Mild westerly flow takes over for more rain all next week. Fortunately  temperatures rise into the upper 40’s and low 50’s so no precip should fall as snow in the lowlands

Very Warm Regards,

NWS met.

• Like 1

The WRF is just as good if not a bit better than the 12z.  I am becoming a believer in this event.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Well... once again the models were way too aggressive in showing the depth of the cold air intrusion.     Common theme this winter.  

What is this in reference to?  

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Longest I've seen snow on the ground here in the 8 years I've lived here. It snowed on December 5th and haven't seen my grass since. Still about 6" give or take around everywhere. Usual suspects, north sides of buildings, streets with trees to the south etc. etc. still have more than that. And the beat seems to go on and on for awhile more still.

I'm heading to Bend on Saturday.  Hope to see some freshness to the snowpack.  My sister got 18" in the last storm and said she still has plenty left, but it isn't pretty.  I think elevation may be a factor more this time than the last storm.  I'll say 3 - 4" for Bend, and ~ 2 inches for Redmond.

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Seattle WA

830 PM PST Thu Dec 22 2016

.SYNOPSIS...A large, somewhat cool upper level trough approaching the region will bring lovely 33-35 degree light rain at times to Western Washington later tonight through Saturday. We at the NWS are gleefully removing any possibility of lowland snow from our forecast.  An upper level ridge will build over the region Christmas Day with cool and dry weather with no possibility of snow. An active snowless weather pattern will resume early next week as a mild westerly flow aloft directs a series of weather systems across the region with no possibility of lowland snow.

.SHORT TERM...RADAR shows the precip shield approaching the area. This should fall as 35 degree rain much to our delight. We expect Tim to see some slush but otherwise expect periodic rain with the SW flow aloft. Accumulations will be light, ranging from a few hundredths of an inch of rain along the coast and over the north interior, to 1 to 4 tenths around Puget Sound and over the SW interior.

LONG TERM…Mild westerly flow takes over for more rain all next week. Fortunately  temperatures rise into the upper 40’s and low 50’s so no precip should fall as snow in the lowlands

Very Warm Regards,

NWS met.

I would like to shank that dude.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

The New Years cold wave is probably alive and well on this run.  It's evolving just like the 18z.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Beautiful dual anticyclonic breakers on the 00z GFS (EPO/NAO conduits to NAM). Arctic blast follows thereafter.

• Like 1

Beautiful dual anticyclonic breakers on the 00z GFS (EPO/NAO conduits to NAM). Arctic blast follows thereafter.

Majestic pattern for sure.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Where are the Seattle people? Snow is pretty likely tomorrow night!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Could it actually be possible we could see a real January this winter? It's been Soooooooo long.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Majestic pattern for sure.

Rare to see the Pacific and Atlantic change modes simultaneously as depicted on the 00z GFS. Anticyclonic wavebreaking heaven this run.

The -ENSO/+QBO analogs do have the strongest blocking clustered in January, FWIW.

• Like 1

Where are the Seattle people? Snow is pretty likely tomorrow night!

Most on here have been very negative about it so according to them there isn't much to talk about.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!