January 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Goducks09

There are 7 ensemble members that drop to -10 or below over Seattle on the 18z ensemble. Getting better.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Lol we had a grand total of 6-7 days of snowcover in Portland this "winter"...that was winter by the standards of almost anywhere else north of 40 N latitude in the United States besides Seattle and Portland.

I think it's actually substantially more that in most places. We're below 40N and average 20+ snowcover days.

4460022474_695ab2c218_b.jpg

• Like 1

I do get kind of put off by the apples and oranges of comparing our winters to other places at this latitude. We all know it kind of sucks here, but we make the most of what we get. That having been said some winters are really good by any standards.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I think it's actually substantially more that in most places. We're below 40N and average 20+ snowcover days.

That map is absurdly off for parts of WA. Namely the mountains and the north half of the area east of the mountains.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

With present climate change the <1 day line would probably go as far north as about Newport/Lincoln City, OR.

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

That map is absurdly off for parts of WA. Namely the mountains and the north half of the area east of the mountains.

Well, it isn't a high resolution map. The mountains aren't relevant to the discussion, anyway.

This one is a bit higher in resolution, using a 1981-2010 baseline for number of days with 1"+ on the ground.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-o6746ToQIC0/U0H7hhql7tI/AAAAAAAAB2E/C-F1VywIZ_g/s1600/US_Snow_Depth_Average3B.jpg

First bulb pics of the season. I saw a tree (possibly ornamental plum) starting to bloom when I was in Victoria yesterday.

There were bulbs coming up down here in December. Sure sign of spring then. :lol:

Also wanted to mention that I saw a cherry tree blooming in late November down here. Very confused tree. The cold that started the first week of December put a quick end to that though. Hopefully it blooms again come March.

I guess my overall point is that our normal winter climate is mild enough that many plants, (especially non-native ones) will get confused at points throughout the cold season. The fact that this is happening even this year underscores that fact, considering it has been the coldest winter to date in at least a few decades for much of the region.

Every year people act amazed by it though.

• Like 2

Well, it isn't a high resolution map. The mountains aren't relevant to the discussion, anyway.

This one is a bit higher in resolution, using a 1981-2010 baseline.

This one looks better IMO...looks like Portland averages 2-5 days with snowcover per winter.

Wait...I see a hole over Portland. 1-2 days a year it is then.

• Like 1

There were bulbs coming up down here in December. Sure sign of spring then. :lol:

Also wanted to mention that I saw a cherry tree blooming in late November down here. Very confused tree. The cold that started the first week of December put a quick end to that though. Hopefully it blooms again come March.

I guess my overall point is that our normal winter climate is mild enough that many plants, (especially non-native ones) will get confused at points throughout the cold season. The fact that this is happening even this year underscores that fact, considering it has been the coldest winter to date in at least a few decades for much of the region.

Every year people act amazed by it though.

I'm sure the mega torch November had the bulbs almost up already.

The last statement you made could also be the fact some people just like to be irritating.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This one looks better IMO...looks like Portland averages 2-5 days with snowcover per winter.

The numbers used to be much higher obviously. For snowfall here the past 30 years give a rather poor idea unless this is just the way it's going to be from now on.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Lol. We've only had 4 snowcover days this winter, so you guys are actually winning the snow war this year. :P

I'm sure the mega torch November had the bulbs almost up already.

The last statement you made could also be the fact some people just like to be irritating.

The torch in Nov was almost as anomalous as the ice box in Jan...I guess things have a habit of equaling out. It would take one heck of a Feb to give us a warmer than normal DJF. Don't tempt the weather gods though.

Those snow maps are garbage obviously put together by someone back east who knows nothing about snow levels.

The 2 to 5 days of snow cover over the Olympics are certainly testimony to that. Should be more like 200.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Lol. We've only had 4 snowcover days this winter, so you guys are actually winning the snow war this year. :P

Yeah it has really been a disappointing year back east...at least climatologically your chances continue into April though. Realistically ours are pretty well over by mid-Feb outside of fluke events and minor shower accumulations favoring the PSCZ.

As much as it might anger some folks, we can almost see the end of the tunnel in the models. Not an absolute of course, I've seen flakes amount to a light dusting in March here.

The 2 to 5 days of snow cover over the Olympics are certainly testimony to that. Should be more like 200.

It's only utilizing NOAA first-order stations like PDX, SLE, EUG, SEA, etc. The contours are drawn by computer based on the data.

Would also be neat to see a map of variability of snowcover...I'm betting in some places the average was almost solely due to one or two winters with snow.

Yeah, our average is skewed by those big winters. A typical winter here will have ~ 15 days w/ at least 1" of snowcover, but heavy winters can maintain snowcover for months, and light winters might have 5 days or less. Varies substantially.

• Like 1

Yeah, our average is skewed by those big winters. A typical winter here will have ~ 15 days w/ at least 1" of snowcover, but heavy winters can maintain snowcover for months, and light winters might have 5 days or less. Varies substantially.

Within the last 10 years, Shawnigan Lake has ranged from a low of 6 to a high of about 80. Huge variations year to year.
  • Like 1

Within the last 10 years, Shawnigan Lake has ranged from a low of 6 to a high of about 80. Huge variations year to year.

I have managed a range of about 5 inches to over 150 inches here over the last 13 years.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah it has really been a disappointing year back east...at least climatologically your chances continue into April though. Realistically ours are pretty well over by mid-Feb outside of fluke events and minor shower accumulations favoring the PSCZ.

As much as it might anger some folks, we can almost see the end of the tunnel in the models. Not an absolute of course, I've seen flakes amount to a light dusting in March here.

It's comical, because I start to crave spring around the 2nd week of February, yet that's when it usually starts snowing here. :lol:

November and December used to perform. Not anymore.

I was talking about days with snowcover. But 150 inches is pretty impressive

Ahhh... I am not sure what the range of snowcover days has been in my time here but its pretty wide as well. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Those snow maps are garbage obviously put together by someone back east who knows nothing about snow levels.

My god. The data is fine so long as it's interpreted properly.

Back in 2011/12 we only managed 4 days. Just a miserable winter. The highest I can remember is 2013/14. I lost track at some point, but we had solid snowcover most of Jan/Feb/Mar, and some in Nov/Dec/Apr too. Probably at least 90 days.

Just to set the record straight PDX has had 13 days with 1" or more snow cover this winter according to the official observations. That is actually pretty decent.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9