August 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

Geos

1967 sighting:

Harvey could be an unusually prolific tornado producer along the central and upper Texas coast, given its expected very slow motion near the coastline. This location would maximize the tornado-supportive wind structure within Harvey’s rainbands, especially northeast of the center. Slow-moving Hurricane Beulah, which made landfall in far South Texas as a Category 3 storm in 1967, produced a total of 115 tornadoes—just behind the U.S. record of 118 tornadoes from Hurricane Ivan (2004).

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/intensifying-harvey-track-hit-texas-major-hurricane

1967 sighting:

Harvey could be an unusually prolific tornado producer along the central and upper Texas coast, given its expected very slow motion near the coastline. This location would maximize the tornado-supportive wind structure within Harvey’s rainbands, especially northeast of the center. Slow-moving Hurricane Beulah, which made landfall in far South Texas as a Category 3 storm in 1967, produced a total of 115 tornadoes—just behind the U.S. record of 118 tornadoes from Hurricane Ivan (2004).

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/intensifying-harvey-track-hit-texas-major-hurricane

How deep did the following winter get?

1967 sighting:

This will be a fun storm to track for a variety of reasons. Been awhile since we've have a storm of this magnitude...could be the first landfalling major hurricane in the U.S. since Wilma in 2005.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Ahhhh... we used to live on the hill right above that resort. Empty pools? Its almost 80 there right now. Wimps!

And the sun is coming out there now anyways.

It was still 69 there at noon though and did not reach 78 until about 2:30 PM. On a vacation you want to enjoy the whole day and not wait until 1 PM for the marine layer to burn off from a location 15 miles away from the beach.

4 more record low maximum temperatures again in San Diego County. My home in Orange County cleared out earlier and it's closer to the beach. I did go up to Julian for lunch and it was much warmer and dryer up there.

It was still 69 there at noon though and did not reach 78 until about 2:30 PM. On a vacation you want to enjoy the whole day and not wait until 1 PM for the marine layer to burn off from a location 15 miles away from the beach.

4 more record low maximum temperatures again in San Diego County. My home in Orange County cleared out earlier and it's closer to the beach. I did go up to Julian for lunch and it was much warmer and dryer up there.

Thank God you were able to escape to Julian! Waiting until after lunch to see the sun is unbelievable. Took until 2 pm here. I am sure we are in the prayers of those in Texas. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Four days of hurricane conditions? F**k.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/FF2DFB05-4373-4E6F-A7DA-607F13559E2E_zpswls1a5ua.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/0728A3CD-F083-4007-A51E-804E6D342D01_zpsfefb89uf.png

Friday evening...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_scus_4.png

Saturday evening...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_scus_8.png

Sunday evening...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_scus_12.png

Monday evening...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_scus_16.png

Tuesday evening...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_scus_20.png

Wednesday evening...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_scus_24.png

That is 6 days dealing with this storm down there.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Hard to imagine any outcome from this storm that isn't very costly/damaging. I have a couple friends in the area...they are getting pretty concerned, and they are used to flooding down there.

I have a couple friends down there too!   Really.   I can finally report insider observations like Andrew who seems to have people planted wherever there is weather happening.    :lol:

I have a couple friends down there too!   Really.   I can finally report insider observations like Andrew who seems to have people planted wherever there is weather happening.    :lol:

Have you ever considered that Andrew controls the weather? It makes sense, he plants people wherever he wants the weather to happen!

I don't know anyone down there but if I did I bet they'd be concerned and make observations of what's happening.

#abovethefray

Pretty disgusting. You have to imagine the smoke/wildfire situation would get really bad if it verified.

Phil, is this the September heatwave you talked about, just occurring a bit earlier than you initially thought?

Yeah... I think the smoke is going to get bad again.   

Be nice to have a few days like today mixed in to clear the deck once in awhile.

Good banter about the storm guys, I'm sure we will have many people registering on the WESTERN weather forums to report Texas hurricane conditions.

Then you should change your username to epicwest.

My spotter network is top notch! 

My contact in the Houston area lives north of the city, so he should be alright. Though really everyone down there is near some water. 

My buddy in Austin posted this on facebook a few months ago...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/explainer/article/The-trouble-with-living-in-a-swamp-Houston-7954514.php

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

My spotter network is top notch! 

My contact in the Houston area lives north of the city, so he should be alright. Though really everyone down there is near some water. 

My buddy in Austin posted this on facebook a few months ago...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/explainer/article/The-trouble-with-living-in-a-swamp-Houston-7954514.php

"The labor of clearing the great space was done by ***** slaves and Mexicans, as no white man could have worked and endured the insect bites and malaria, snake bites, impure water, and other hardships. Many of the blacks died before their work was done."

MAGA!

A forum for the end of the world.