September 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

Definitely looking like fall... 

garden.png

We just picked all of this in the last 20 minutes... we are getting hauls like this almost daily.   Endless production from the garden at this time of year.  :)   

22095824_1457951804273023_50725078095072

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Now the GFS has that southwest-cutting trough. Only thing I can think of that would cause that is exhaust from SW Atlantic convection beefing up the anticyclone over the Eastern US as the trough attempts to progress east.

Definitely looking like fall...

garden.png

We just picked all of this in the last 20 minutes... we are getting hauls like this almost daily. Endless production from the garden at this time of year. :)

22095824_1457951804273023_50725078095072

You have the same fridge we do.

Jesse, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't fall colors and the growing season have more to do with time of daylight and angle compared to temperature? I know they both impact but I thought it was more light to darkness.

Definitely related to daylight overall... but weather can accelerate/enhance or slow/mute the process.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Definitely related to daylight overall... but weather can accelerate/enhance or slow/mute the process.

I think solid rainy periods interspread with sunny days/cold nights can lead to the most vibrant colors overall. Too warm and dry and the leaves just sort of turn brown and wither up. Too warm and wet and they stay green forever and almost start to rot on the tree before falling off. Just my own observations.

Jesse, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't fall colors and the growing season have more to do with time of daylight and angle compared to temperature? I know they both impact but I thought it was more light to darkness.

Yes, light to darkness will always be the main driver. As the days get shorter the leaves will gradually fall off eventually. But quality and duration of color seems to depend a lot on weather conditions as well.

I think solid rainy periods interspread with sunny days/cold nights can lead to the most vibrant colors overall. Too warm and dry and the leaves just sort of turn brown and wither up. Too warm and wet and they stay green forever and almost start to rot on the tree before falling off. Just my own observations.

Yeah... so far it seems like we have had a good combination this year.   

I also wonder if an early or late spring has an effect.   The trees are looking so much better this year compared to last year despite this summer being warmer and drier and I wonder if its related to a late start this year.

Yeah... so far it seems like we have had a good combination this year.   

I also wonder if an early or late spring has an effect.   The trees are looking so much better this year compared to last year despite this summer being warmer and drier and I wonder if its related to a late start this year.

Late spring was pretty darn normal/warmish, though.

A forum for the end of the world.

Late spring was pretty darn normal/warmish, though.

But they definitely had a much later start this year so maybe they are able to last longer in the fall compared to last year.

Meteorologically, yes. Seasonally, a week ago.

Weather-wise, I always consider the last 80+ day as the end of summer. Since we're being literal.  :rolleyes:

That is not a good gauge.

We could have a cold September and then one 80-degree day in between cold troughs in the middle of October.   That would not be the end of summer but an isolated warm spike during a cold fall.  

That is not a good gauge.

We could have a cold September and then one 80-degree day in between cold troughs in the middle of October.   That would not be the end of summer but an isolated warm spike during a cold fall.  

1996 was a good example of that. Cool September and cool/wet October, but it had one quick heat spike in the 2nd week of October that produced widespread 80s. Summer basically ended in late August that year though.

Looks like the LR ensembles want to keep troughing centered over the Northern Rockies. May end up as a very impressive cold stretch for that region.

attachicon.gif14dTDeptUS.png

It's definitely been chilly! Next week looks just downright cold for this area with lows dropping into the teens. 

West Yellowstone was 21 this morning so the cold has definitely arrived early this year.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Temperature and relative humidity are very important. Places in the mountains (just 50 miles west of here) are nearing peak fall color, while our trees are still mostly green.

Obviously, there's very little difference in sunlight over such a short distance.

I've also noticed the best color seems to occur in autumns with consistent diurnal variability (cool nights/warm days). The more humid/rainy autumns usually disappoint here.

That and 1936, on basically the same days. We've never really matched either 1934 or 1936 for lateness and greatness, although 1991 came very close.

The more I look back at the decade of the 1930s, the more I can appreciate how incredible it was in the heatwave department.

Many of those records are still standing today. The great heatwave of 1930 is still the big mama in this area..we haven't come close to beating it.

The more I look back at the decade of the 1930s, the more I can appreciate how incredible it was in the heatwave department.

Many of those records are still standing today. The great heatwave of 1930 is still the big mama in this area..we haven't come close to beating it.

I would extend that even further, to the 1920s-1940s. The world was full of really impressive heat waves during that time (and really impressive cold waves as well). I see it everywhere I look when I trawl for weather records.

• Like 1