February Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Deweydog

Interesting little tidbit.

That stat is not just a little misleading, it's wrong.

SEA definitely had 1"+ snowfalls after V-day in 2011, two in 2009, at least one in 2002 (but they weren't recorded), 1994, and 1993. There was also a .9" snowfall in March 2012.

So there have for sure been 6 in the last 25 years (2018 doesn't count as the past), possibly 7 if there were two in 2002, and very nearly another including 2012. And there have been 4, almost 5, just in the past 16 years.

A forum for the end of the world.

1951!

I would love to follow 1951 for the rest of 2018!

It turned gorgeous here after the snow in March and continued all the way through fall.    April was stunning that year... one of the best ever here.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

That stat is not just a little misleading, it's wrong.

SEA definitely had 1"+ snowfalls after V-day in 2011, two in 2009, at least one in 2002 (but they weren't recorded), 1994, and 1993. There was also a .9" snowfall in March 2012.

So there have for sure been 6 in the last 25 years (2018 doesn't count as the past), possibly 7 if there were two in 2002, and very nearly another including 2012. And there have been 4, almost 5, just in the past 16 years.

The snowstorm in 2001 was also after Valentine's Day.

I would love to follow 1951 for the rest of 2018!

It turned gorgeous here after the snow in March and continued all the way through fall.    April was stunning that year... one of the best ever here.  

April 1951 also had a freaky late arctic airmass around the 20th. That was an interesting stretch.

The snowstorm in 2001 was also after Valentine's Day.

Ah, you're right. I was thinking that one was the 8th, but that was a smaller snowfall. The 4-8" storm was the 15th-16th.

So there have actually been 7 for sure in the past 25 years, maybe 8 if there were two in 2002.

April 1951 also had a freaky late arctic airmass around the 20th. That was an interesting stretch.

Yeah... I see some lows in the 20s here around that time.

But high temps:

4/20 - 58

4/21 - 64

4/22 - 64

4/23 - 68

4/24 - 70

That is my kind of arctic air mass.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Made it down to 38 last night.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Most likely your coldest reading with the coming air mass.

We shall see

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

You would think by what the gfs is showing that the wrf would look much better than it does. Maybe this a good thing. Would like to hear jaya's take on that.

I'm not sure I like the WRF Gfs for snowfall. It seems to overpredict during warm advection cases and underpredict for cold fronts.  It may be a temperature threshold problem of some sort.  We will see how it works out.  I like using QPF, 1000-850mb thickness, 925 temperature, surface temperature, and wind.  The WRFGFS, despite many improvements, seems to be too geostrophic with the winds at low levels and over mixes.  With Tuesday night's system, the WRF ensembles did okay and the ICON was the winner.  The GEM used in tropical tidbits and on our local system is too coarse of a resolution to grade fairly.  I also don't like raw snowfall amounts from the ECMWF - preferring the method above.

• Like 4

I'm not sure I like the WRF Gfs for snowfall. It seems to overpredict during warm advection cases and underpredict for cold fronts.  It may be a temperature threshold problem of some sort.  We will see how it works out.  I like using QPF, 1000-850mb thickness, 925 temperature, surface temperature, and wind.  The WRFGFS, despite many improvements, seems to be too geostrophic with the winds at low levels and over mixes.  With Tuesday night's system, the WRF ensembles did okay and the ICON was the winner.  The GEM used in tropical tidbits and on our local system is too coarse of a resolution to grade fairly.  I also don't like raw snowfall amounts from the ECMWF - preferring the method above.

Nice to hear some input from a met on things like the ICON. Let's hope it turns out to be the Mercedes of models.

• Like 1

After years of watching the WRF snow maps imo it does pretty fair with warm front over running for the hood canal area. Other places it sure is hit and miss. I was looking at the surface maps frame by frame and was very surprised of the bleak snow maps. Awesome to have your contribution on the forum btw.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

High temperatures on Monday...

ecmwf_t2max_washington_19.png

Why the obsession with the high temps on Monday? Yes we will be in a cold airmass but the offshore gradients are weak and it is completely sunny and dry, are we expecting something different than upper 30s and low 40s?

It is plenty cold enough for snow if we get that low sliding down along the coast or if we get anything coming out of the south.

• Like 1

Why the obsession with the high temps on Monday? Yes we will be in a cold airmass but the offshore gradients are weak and it is completely sunny and dry, are we expecting something different than upper 30s and low 40s?

It is plenty cold enough for snow if we get that low sliding down along the coast or if we get anything coming out of the south.

Not an obsession.  Some runs showed below freezing highs.   I am just trying to provide data from the ECMWF surface maps for people since they always ask.

Guess I won't do that now.