February Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Deweydog

You posted a 500mb map, I posted a 500mb map. It doesn't make any sense to say we were looking at different things.

Why did you post a 500mb anomaly map, if it didn't fit your point?

Read what I wrote. Context.

bjpYTtt.jpg

1) What “point” do you believe I was making here?

2) How does this map not fit my point”?

Guest Dome Buster

18z ICON is a bit warmer with the low further west, the higher precip rates do help PDX area a little bit.

icon_asnow_nwus_33.png

That map shows a hell of a lot more than what was shown preceding January 10th last year. And we all know what happened down here.

I'm assuming these maps are low resolution and Brookings and Crescent city will not be seeing snow.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Perhaps this will help clear things up. When I say “phase locking to open March”, I’m referring to the start of the *constructive interference* between the NAO and PNA, which begins around March 1st. However, the trigger that opened this pathway of communication was the SSW/PV breakdown. This has already occurred and is still occurring.

Does this clear up the confusion, Flatiron? :)

s6WCfwr.jpg

Read what I wrote. Context.

bjpYTtt.jpg

1) What “point” do you believe I was making here?

2) How does this map not fit my point”?

Sure sounds like you were talking about heights. The map is also showing 500mb height anomalies, which makes sense. I also posted a map showing those same height anomalies.

Good lord, Phil...sometimes you purposefully try to make things more complicated than they are.

A forum for the end of the world.

Perhaps this will help clear things up. When I say “phase locking to open March”, I’m referring to the start of the *constructive interference* between the NAO and PNA, which begins around March 1st. However, the trigger that opened this pathway of communication was the SSW/PV breakdown. This has already occurred and is still occurring.

Does this clear up the confusion, Flatiron? :)

And my point was simply that the -PNA is already locked in and will continue to be locked in well before March and the "constructive interference" you're talking about.

I realize you're looking to tie it all up neatly with the modeled -NAO/-PNA, but it's not like nothing is happening before then. Whether it's all due to the SSW or not.

That map shows a hell of a lot more than what was shown preceding January 10th last year. And we all know what happened down here.

It is a pretty different setup though. Jan 10 was kind of an overriding event, the cold air wasn't technically in place but the low approaching out of the SW helped pull cold air into the metro through the gorge and then precip overrode it. 

I have much less faith in these "arctic front" snow events. 90% of the time there is no moisture left once the temps have gotten low enough. No bitterly cold east winds to save us and the showery nature of this precip implies a snow/rain shadow from the coast range. 

IMO we are gonna need another low later on in the week if we want a proper widespread snowstorm. 

• Like 1

And my point was simply that the -PNA is already locked in and will continue to be locked in well before March and the "constructive interference" you're talking about.

This is mostly incorrect (and also irrelevant to my post).

Since the NAO/NAM are coupled to the stratosphere, the pathway(s) of WAFz communication between the NAM/NAO and PNA are already open, hence the omgkimh flip to -PNA right after the SSW/PV breakdown. The full column NAM index (1hpa -1000hpa) went negative well before the PNA.

Also, I never said the -PNA wasn’t locked in. All I said is that the PNA and NAO enter into a state of constructive interference in early March, AKA, a phase locking regime (quasi-stable mode of communication with a set resonance period).

So you’re arguing with a ghost. ;)

I realize you're looking to tie it all up neatly with the modeled -NAO/-PNA, but it's not like nothing is happening before then. Whether it's all due to the SSW or not.

Exactly! You’re ignoring what’s happening right now to initiate this PNA drop, and open up the pathway of communication between the PNA/NAO as time progresses.

Can't really draw up a model run better than the 18z this time of year. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Can't really draw up a model run better than the 18z this time of year. 

Certainly for the lower cascade foothills.  It's a perfect setup for you.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Certainly for the lower cascade foothills. It's a perfect setup for you.

Hope I don’t miss to much snow in March when I’m back east. Why did i schedule travel during my snowiest month.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I'm just calling it like I see it. Your dis-endorsement of Phil/LR forecasts in general last night rang pretty hollow after you were all aboard the retrogression train along with everyone else in December. It was a rare moment when you let your guard down and joined the fray. Humanity!

Stop spreading fake news about my LR forecasting (and claiming you "give credit where its due"), and I'll let you off the hook this time.

Again, you're just trying to start a fight. Long lead stuff is a long way from calling an actual pattern progression 2-3 weeks in advance. He did an outstanding job at that point, something he tried to parlay into a 5-run homerun weeks beyond that. Now making an actual "winter forecast" in September I think is silly. Quick climo analysis based on ENSO seems logical, but that can be done in about two sentences. Most people know a cool, wet winter is more likely with a nina and there is a tendency toward a backloaded winter.

And you wanna talk humanity? Humanity is looking at the GFS beyond 240 hours. It's okay to be a model riding windowlicker.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Again, you're just trying to start a fight. Long lead stuff is a long way from calling an actual pattern progression 2-3 weeks in advance. He did an outstanding job at that point, something he tried to parlay into a 5-run homerun weeks beyond that. Now making an actual "winter forecast" in September I think is silly. Quick climo analysis based on ENSO seems logical, but that can be done in about two sentences. Most people know a cool, wet winter is more likely with a nina and there is a tendency toward a backloaded winter.

I wasn't looking to start a fight. Simply pointing out how you, whether you admit it or not, got swept up in the December anticipatory euphoria along with everyone else. You were thinking Phil had done really well that month, and wow, it looks like he's going to nail the coming retrogressive blast. You drank the kool aid. It's ok.

You tried to make it a fight by responding with baseless insults about my LR forecasting. Not very above the fray.

I wasn't looking to start a fight. Simply pointing out how you, whether you admit it or not, got swept up in the December anticipatory euphoria along with everyone else. You were thinking Phil had done really well that month, and wow, it looks like he's going to nail the coming retrogressive blast. You drank the kool aid. It's ok.

You tried to make it a fight by responding with baseless insults about my LR forecasting. Not very above the fray.

Oh, Flatty...

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Hope I don’t miss to much snow in March when I’m back east. Why did i schedule travel during my snowiest month.

Don’t you hate that! My wife had me out of town most of January. Sucks that January didn’t produce but would of killed me if we had a active January! I did make sure all my plane tickets were refundable just Incase of the Arctic front decided to show up. So I understand your pain :)

Jim

Looks like a lot of shadowing. Still, I don't think it's accurate.

Its not really shadowing.    It might be a little too warm during the first half of Sunday... maybe into the afternoon as well.   Then northerly flow slowly takes over and pushes the precip out before the cold air really arrives.   That is the problem with a slow bleed arctic front.   Temps are still in the mid 30s on Sunday afternoon when the precip appears to be ending.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Its not really shadowing. It might be a little too warm during the first half of Sunday... maybe into the afternoon as well. Then northerly flow slowly takes over and pushes the precip out before the cold air really arrives. That is the problem with a slow bleed arctic front. Temps are still in the mid 30s on Sunday afternoon when the precip appears to be ending.

Tired of theses weak fronts

Its not really shadowing. It might be a little too warm during the first half of Sunday... maybe into the afternoon as well. Then northerly flow slowly takes over and pushes the precip out before the cold air really arrives. That is the problem with a slow bleed arctic front. Temps are still in the mid 30s on Sunday afternoon when the precip appears to be ending.

That sounds soooo boring... Hopefully it doesn't pan out like that.

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

That sounds soooo boring... Hopefully it doesn't pan out like that.

Well... I am sure Jim is still going with the arctic freight train idea.   Hope he is right this time.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**