March 2018 Observations and Discussion

Tom

I know I'm clogging up this thread, but I'm sure anyone in Cook county right now is experiencing something that does not happen to often.  Gosh, I wish it was mid winter but the way I look at is, you can't pick and choose what you want out of nature and just be thankful for what she delivers.

Just did a little research and found out that last year's LES event produced 5.2" March 13th-14th.

For Chicago (O'Hare), the storm total was 7.7" from Sunday Night March 12 through 7 pm Tuesday March 14. Of that, 5.2" were lake effect that fell from the night of the 13 through the 14.

3.4" from the last 2 squalls...#3 is approaching and what is neat about this one, I could see the wall of snow coming down to the east of me and just now the heavy snow has hit my house...a neat experience in a day packed with delight from the snow...

• Like 2

Hey Tom I am just east of you --just have an inch and a half on the grassy areas only

The nature of snow squalls my friend. I guess my local was in the epicenter. It was snowing so hard I could t believe my eyes. I heard that there were claps of thunder in the city. I didn’t hear any around my place but it literally was like a summer time thunderstorm.

A chance of falling space debris in Michigan in April.  This is from WOOD TV here in Grand Rapids.

A Chinese satellite that has been “out of control” since 2016 may reenter the Earth’s atmosphere in early April.  Aerospace Corporation, a U.S. research organization reports that Southern Lower Michigan is a prime target for impact from space debris from the satellite.  Ten to forty percent of the satellite may survive reentry and hit the ground.  The satellite does contain toxic chemicals.  The spacecraft weighs approx. 17,000 pounds.  We’re doing a story on the news tonight during the 6 pm newscasts (Channel 8 – WOOD TV).

Slick roads out there. After my dinner reservations, walked out into a raging 10 minute snowstorm. :lol: Trucks were out salting the roads. 

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

For a couple weeks now, I've been waiting for the models to hone in on a storm system around the Spring Solstice.  The latest 00z/06z GEFS are beginning to show increased confidence that another "March Bowler" will track due west/east across our sub forum with a good amount of precip falling.

gfs-ens_apcpn_us_26.png

As the sun tries to peak through the overcast, it actually looks and feels like winter here today.  Pretty dang cold out there with a temp of 21F under a fresh snow pack which has settled down just under 3" and will likely take a beating today.  After yesterday's snow, I believe ORD is officially at 32.9" and may make a run towards the seasonal avg by mid next week.  

Currently @ 21F w sunshine and a snowcover from yesterdays snowsqualls. Geesh! 

Accu-weather predicts a cold Spring. Hope that is not the case!

Based on some research I have done over the past several years, given the cyclical nature of the QBO and Low Solar, next cold season will prob have significant blocking.  I can see patterns setting up in the longer term (2-5 year cycles) that can provide some clues.  Nonetheless, I'm so ready for Spring/Summer but nothing in the immediate future is headed that way.  In fact, major cold post Spring Solstice is setting up and will stick around.   A glimpse of hope, if blocking relaxes somewhat late month, it will lead to a warm up right around Easter.  The Cub's season opener will be down in Miami on the 29th, but then travel to Cincinnati and then MKE during the first week of April.  BTW, they are about as stacked as the dream team in 2016.

Here's another example...the NWS WFO at Upton on Long Island saw 78.5 inches of snow in 2004-05.

You know how much JFK in NYC saw? 36.8 inches.

In 2012-13, it was Upton 51.8 inches; JFK 17.6 inches...lolzzzz.

Upton, like Islip, has no elevation and is likewise exposed to the warm Atlantic.

NYC is a snow hell compared to almost everywhere around it (except to its south).

Islip has a very respectable 42.7 inches of snow this winter while snow hell JFK airport is stuck at 23.1 inches.

Parts of Long Island saw 15 to 20 inches combined from the last two storms; while NYC could barely manage a coating.

Like I said, a comparative snow hell relative to surrounding areas.

• Like 2

Islip has a very respectable 42.7 inches of snow this winter while snow hell JFK airport is stuck at 23.1 inches.

Parts of Long Island saw 15 to 20 inches combined from the last two storms; while NYC could barely manage a coating.

Like I said, a comparative snow hell relative to surrounding areas.

Then, how do you explain the previous blizzards??

Then, how do you explain the previous blizzards??

I never said it does not snow there.

I said relative to all surrounding areas except to the south; it often does terribly.

Not all the time; but far more often than not.

Marginal temperatures are almost always the main thorn in their side; fomented by the warm Atlantic and the worst UHI on the planet.

Everything is relative. I am in a comparative snow hell when placed up against many other spots in the Black Hills; but that does not imply that it never snows here.

Where I am is probably somewhere between Scranton and Albany in terms of average annual snowfall.

I said relative to all surrounding areas except to the south; it often does terribly.

Marginal temperatures are almost always the main thorn in their side; fomented by the warm Atlantic and the worst UHI on the planet.

How do you consider Boston? The same or different?

Everything is relative. I am in a comparative snow hell when placed up against many other spots in the Black Hills; but that does not imply that it never snows here.

Where I am is probably somewhere between Scranton and Albany in terms of average annual snowfall.

I can see your point.

This is most noticeable during the milder winter periods....early December and March and sometimes the start of April.

In January and February the chances of NYC doing as well as surrounding areas (if not better) is far greater

• Like 2

How do you consider Boston? The same or different?

Boston's Logan airport is also much less snowy than surrounding areas.

Boston once had a mean of 43 inches per year...though the average has gone wayyyyy up....now near 50 inches....since they have gotten inordinately snowy since the 1992-93 winter.

But that 43 inch average looks unimpressive when compared with the nearby Blue Hill observatory in Milton just 8 miles SSW of Logan airport....the Blue Hill average was close to 60 inches per year and is now probably in the upper 60's after all the snow that has fallen there since 1992.

Boston's Logan airport is also much less snowy that surrounding areas.

Boston once had a mean of 43 inches per year...thoug the average has gone wayyyyy up....now near 50 inches....since they have gotten inordinately snowy since the 1992-93 winter.

But that 43 inch average looks unimpressive when compared with the nearby Blue Hill observatory in Milton just 8 miles SSW of Logan airport....the Blue Hill average was close to 60 inches per year and is now probably in the upper 60's after all the snow that has fallen there since 1992.

Yup.....I always believed that Boston was a snowier and a colder climate.

Boston's Logan airport is also much less snowy that surrounding areas.

Boston once had a mean of 43 inches per year...though the average has gone wayyyyy up....now near 50 inches....since they have gotten inordinately snowy since the 1992-93 winter.

Or look at Worcester Massachusetts....with an annual average of 75 to 80 inches of snow per year and just 30 miles or so west of Boston.

Or look at Worcester Massachusetts....with an annual average of 75 to 80 inches of snow per year and just 30 miles or so west of Boston.

That Atlantic can be a killer (sometimes, in terms of ushering in milder air), but it also provides fuel to create those monster storms. Thats what I like about EC storms.

• Like 1

Boston is definitely snowier and colder than NYC...Washington DC is becoming such a bad area for snow that it is almost like Norfolk, Virginia since 1988.

Ugh...DC is a very mild climate. Anyone wanting snow in Winter would be a bad location to live in. I think they average 15" or so a year.

Ugh...DC is a very mild climate. Anyone wanting snow in Winter would be a bad location to live in. I think they average 15" or so a year.

And declining!

Please excuse the typographical errors I have made...this I-pad takes time to get the hang of.

• Like 1

And declining!

Please excuse the typographical errors I have made...this I-pad takes time to get the hang of.

So far this Winter, DC has seen only 1.5" or so. That is one, snowless Winter season, by far. Unless, they picked up a bit more that I am not aware of.