April Weather in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

I do like the daffodils in January.   And I only posted a couple pics.

But the additional discussion beyond the first observation was clearly trolling on my part.   100%.

I troll and observe trolling.   Not a big deal.

So you admit to trolling, then get mad at someone when you think they're trolling? OK

So you admit to trolling, then get mad at someone when you think they're trolling? OK

Not mad at all. Just pointing it out. I fully expect it. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Working with a client in London this morning... spring has really arrived there.    Looks like 60s and 70s and sunny there all week.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Here too.

Wish I had a rain gauge, it’s been epic rains. Need to get a rain gauge for the new place. I would like to get a full out weather station with all included...but will probably end up just getting a plastic cheapie for now. Jesse says I’m going to drown up there but I feel like it has been drier at work than at my soon to be old place.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Wish I had a rain gauge, it’s been epic rains. Need to get a rain gauge for the new place. I would like to get a full out weather station with all included...but will probably end up just getting a plastic cheapie for now. Jesse says I’m going to drown up there but I feel like it has been drier at work than at my soon to be old place.

It probably has been drier.   I think your move north will more than offset your move east given that its generally wetter overall farther south.  

We are probably pretty similar for rain totals. I’ve had over 3.5” since the 14th and 8.7” this month so far. I’ve got standing water over much of my property so no mowing possibilities. This is already the wettest April here since I began keeping records in 1992.

Pretty nice morning here in Salem.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

It will be interesting to watch this place calm down as the weather and Tim's post count dry up.

I keep posting all year long.    ;)

Nice to have some dry hours. Not a bad morning so far, just really cloudy. Dipped to 40 this morning - was a bit nippy with the wind. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

We are probably pretty similar for rain totals. I’ve had over 3.5” since the 14th and 8.7” this month so far. I’ve got standing water over much of my property so no mowing possibilities. This is already the wettest April here since I began keeping records in 1992.

Thanks, yeah I also have some standing water in my lower field which never has visible water so I believe it. The new owners might have some long grass unless I can catch a mow on Sunday...our last day at the old place.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

240 inch base at the top of Alpental and snowing... looks like January conditions up there.    Going to be a rough summer up here!   

http://www.summitatsnoqualmie.com/webcams/CentralExpress.jpg?0.5879158562200095

All of WA is above normal for snow pack... including the Lower Columbia basin.

snow.png

Looks dire. Start saving your bottle waters now for when your well or city water dries up.

Looks dire. Start saving your bottle waters now for when your well or city water dries up.

Yeah... its hopeless.    

And on top of that... a band of rain just missed my area to the south.    Really disappointed.    Why does have it to be dry for so long?   I really miss the rain.   

Hopefully we get hit hard this afternoon to make up for the dry anomaly in the 8 am - noon period here.   Running way below normal since dawn.   

12Z ECMWF sure is pretty.

A weak band of rain on Friday night is pretty much it after the showers this afternoon.

Might get fairly warm next week.  

Miserable on the job site today. Cloudy, low 40s, gusty winds, occasional mist, and lots of mud.

Just as I was becoming acclimated to highs in the 80s, mother nature yanks the rug out.

Looks like the 12z runs have trended towards cutting off the low next week and dropping it down into California, which creates an extended warm spell. Hopefully future runs trend away from this solution.

:lol:

Oh Jesse.   No amount of rain and crappy weather will ever make you ready for nice weather.    

Very normal for cutoffs like that to trend north as verification time approaches this time of year so I am hopeful.

Trended way south on the 12Z ECMWF... in response to consolidated flow to our north.   

Miserable on the job site today. Cloudy, low 40s, gusty winds, occasional mist, and lots of mud.

Just as I was becoming acclimated to highs in the 80s, mother nature yanks the rug out.

Cool downs after warm ups are pretty common out this way too. I feel like we're making a connection!

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Models completely failed to simulate this MJO wave in the IO/EHEM. With the final warming yesterday, in conjunction with the gradual eastward propagation of convection, there will be some serious modeling flip/flops over the next several weeks.

Dumped here this morning.  Ball fields all soaked so we will have to postpone the softball games...again.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Sounds gorgeous. Get naked and roll in the mud! Nature's gift to you.

When you reach 17 days of the same weather then you can think about complaining. :)

Hopefully any warm up in the models disappears and it stays miserable.

Cool downs after warm ups are pretty common out this way too. I feel like we're making a connection!

Lol. At least for now. The real test of our relationship starts when the Bermuda High develops.

Honestly Tim, whining about rain in April in the PNW is like winning the lottery but whining about having to split the winnings with someone else. Give me a break.

You have months of perfect weather every summer. It’s virtually guaranteed. Better summers than anywhere else in the country (probably the best summers anywhere on the North American continent). I experienced it firsthand when visiting last year. It’s absolute perfection, every freaking year.

So, if you have to deal with rainy weather in April, who the f**k cares? April showers bring May flowers. Deal with it already. Heck, embrace it. I would if I lived there. No point in throwing tantrums when you’re 10 feet from the finish line.

• Like 2

For anyone curious about the recent summers, one factor has been a persistent JJA vortex over Greenland, which was absent from 2008-12. Through the 21st century, the summer NAO holds a larger correlation to PNW climate than the winter NAO.

It explains about 40% of the variance @ 500mb, which is higher than any other teleconnection index:

NPyFDWM.jpg

Essentially every June that featured a healthy -NAO (by Jim Hurrell methodology, normalized) over the last 20yrs was followed by a cooler than average JJA and/or JAS in the PNW.

So, maybe watch the June NAO for clues as to the remainder of summer this year? If only I’d known about this correlation last year..lol.

• Like 1