September 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

TigerWoodsLibido

The WRF shows some 30s over the next couple of days. Nice to see some good minus departures finally.

Yeah. Tomorrow night especially looks to be chilly in outlying areas. Low/mid 40s wouldn’t surprise me here.

Maybe light frost in the eastern Coast Range valleys of Columbia County. Like Timber or Vernonia.

Nice shower just passed through. Up to 0.50" on the day. I'll take it!

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

This month is proof positive September isn't always nice here. It has rained every day for a week now and I've had over 2 inches of rain since the weather turned. This is one of those years it simply changed over night and that was it. I'm still quite confident of a cold fall / very early winter.

Yeah... one extreme to the other. No balance. Totally dry to rain almost every day. Ugly.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah... one extreme to the other. No balance. Totally dry to rain almost every day. Ugly.

Plenty of dry, partly cloudy and seasonably cool days down here. Like Thursday and Friday. September perfection.

Most of the first week of the month was dry and mild too.

Plenty of dry, partly cloudy and seasonably cool days down here. Like Thursday and Friday. September perfection.

Most of the first week of the month was dry and mild too.

Talking about our area with Jim. I realize that Oregon has MUCH better weather normally.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Another group of showers organizing and heading this way. Someone pinch me.

Yeah interestingly I think we have more defined seasons down here. At least going on anecdotal evidence presented by several forum members.

Yeah interestingly I think we have more defined seasons down here. At least going on anecdotal evidence presented by several forum members.

We have well-defined seasons up here north and east of Seattle as well.

10 months of rain and 2 months of no rain.

We still haven't seen a significant low pressure system come ashore or seen a true stratiform rain event. No steady or prolonged rain events yet for most areas, which makes a big difference. The vast majority of places have been in a partly sunny with occasional showers pattern the past week. Meaning plenty of breaks.

• Like 2

We still haven't seen a significant low pressure system come ashore or seen a true stratiform rain event. No steady or prolonged rain events yet for most areas, which makes a big difference. The vast majority of places have been in a partly sunny with occasional showers pattern the past week. Meaning plenty of breaks.

Thanks for describing your weather or the weather in Seattle. Feels like a switch was flipped to daily rain for some of us.

10 days in a row.

Thanks for describing your weather or the weather in Seattle. Feels like a switch was flipped to daily rain for some of us.

10 days in a row.

Yeah, where most people actually live is probably relevant. I don't really care what it's been doing at Camp Muir, either. The rain so far has been scattered and sporadic in nature. 

• Like 2

Yeah, where most people actually live is probably relevant. I don't really care what it's been doing at Camp Muir, either. The rain so far has been scattered and sporadic in nature.

Jim does not live at Camp Muir.

Sounds like you are living somewhere where the amount of dryness doesn't fit your expectations. 

Who knows. Maybe 400 years ago the Olympic Peninsula was even wetter.

I think I saw some sagebrush outside the Dennys in Puyallup one time. Maybe not fully arid but definitely felt at least semi around there.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are living somewhere where the amount of dryness doesn't fit your expectations. 

Who knows. Maybe 400 years ago the Olympic Peninsula was even wetter.

I'm sure it was.  Probably going to snowbird in Quartzsite, AZ for the winter.  The sooner the better judging by the looks of the models...  Fall can be exciting, but the reality of winter in the PNW is seemingly endless waiting for periods of wet snow/mixed rain-snow that only show up a handful of times.

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

I'm sure it was.  Probably going to snowbird in Quartzsite, AZ for the winter.  The sooner the better judging by the looks of the models...  Fall can be exciting, but the reality of winter in the PNW is seemingly endless waiting for periods of wet snow/mixed rain-snow that only show up a handful of times.

Not entirely true.  We do get some decent years.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Countless cave drawings and tablets have been found filled with anxiety-ridden, passive aggressive lament over unusually dry/wet periods.

Probably true. Drought and famine affected ancient humans much more directly than we experience day to day now. They even created gods to pray to for rain and sun. 

Weather was more of a life or death issue back then, kind of like whether or not it will be sunny for a weekend trip to the whinery.

• Like 1

Probably true. Drought and famine affected ancient humans much more directly than we experience day to day now. They even created gods to pray to for rain and sun. 

Weather was more of a life or death issue back then, kind of like whether or not it will be sunny for a weekend trip to the whinery.

Matt wants you to know how historically stupid it is to care about getting rainfall.

• Like 1

We were definitely on he edge of widespread famine a week and a half ago. Disaster averted! WINCO shelves are still stocked!

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

We were definitely on he edge of widespread famine a week and a half ago. Disaster averted! WINCO shelves are still stocked!

But we were talking about ancient people, not present times. Probably very close/anxious tracking of the weather back then. Especially once we developed agriculture.

It still matters today, on the larger scale. But we have more flexibility in shuffling things around. Ie if there is drought affecting the output of a crop in one area we can usually get the food item from somewhere else that is not being affected. Unless you lived in a developing country and depend soley on local crops. Then you are fu*ked.

#haha

But we were talking about ancient people, not present times. Probably very close/anxious tracking of the weather back then. Especially once we developed agriculture.

It still matters today, on the larger scale. But we have more flexibility in shuffling things around. Ie if there is drought affecting the output of a crop in one area we can usually get the food item from somewhere else that is not being affected. Unless you lived in a developing country and depend soley on local crops. Then you are fu*ked.

#haha

Nope.  Most of the writings were about preference superiority.  There was even a specific personality named Link, who coincidentally looked a lot like Brendan Fraser, who seemed to be a cult of personality.  He also rendered cave drawings of what appeared to be his family and vacations to other surrounding caves in an effort to espouse his climate positions.  

And yes, Jess, droughts are bad.  Too much or too little or pretty much anything is generally a bad thing.  Even love.  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Nope. Most of the writings were about preference superiority. There was even a specific personality named Link, who coincidentally looked a lot like Brendan Fraser, who seemed to be a cult of personality. He also rendered cave drawings of what appeared to be his family and vacations to other surrounding caves in an effort to espouse his climate positions.

And yes, Jess, droughts are bad. Too much or too little or pretty much anything is generally a bad thing. Even love.

Meh. So-so recovery. Maybe you can get at least half your hourly pay for this one. That was an embarrassing little misstep back there.