Polite Politics

Rubus Leucodermis

16 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

Can't imagine all the criticism that would be on here if the leading 2024 Democrat presidential candidate said something like this.  Another clear double standard that much of the right will just ignore because it's their Dear Leader.

https://wapo.st/46NDQGY

Boggles my mind that it's biden who gets all the questions/criticism about mental capacity.

Biden is having all of the stuttering and gaffes compared to Trump.

Trump had fewer issues and when they popped up, he quickly corrected it.

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

3 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

Biden is having all of the stuttering and gaffes compared to Trump.

Seriously?  

1.) Biden had a pretty severe stutter as a kid.  That's some nice bullying.  

2.) Biden has been known for gaffes for a long time.

And the question isn't about gaffes.  The question is whether the person understands the significance of the role they are in and the complex issues that surround the decisions being made. 

In his speech that I previously linked, he talks not about the conflict in the middle east or what he did to help the simmering situation while he was president.  He talks about how he was personally slighted by Bibi.  His mental capacity revolves around only himself which is far more dangerous than a grandpa who is not quite as sharp as he once was.

The guy is a bonafide idiot when it comes to critical thinking or empathy.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Haley doubled her national support poll numbers in the latest Fox News poll and is still the candidate with the largest margin of victory in a hypothetical matchup with Biden.

https://www.foxnews.com/official-polls/fox-news-poll-haley-doubles-gop-primary-biden

I do think Biden would lose against Haley which IMO, will be a good thing for everyone long-term.

I, too, want young blood on the top of the ticket who has broad appeal among the younger generations.  Biden nor Harris fit that description.

The only old person dem I'd support again is Elizabeth Warren.  The rest need to retire and let the people who are most affected by the decisions make the decision.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

Seriously?  

And the question isn't about gaffes.  The question is whether the person understands the significance of the role they are in and the complex issues that surround the decisions being made. 

In his speech that I previously linked, he talks not about the conflict in the middle east or what he did to help the simmering situation while he was president.  He talks about how he was personally slighted by Bibi.  His mental capacity revolves around only himself which is far more dangerous than a grandpa who is not quite as sharp as he once was.

I didn't know he had stuttering issues since he was younger

32 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I feel like this comment from that article is pretty succinct in it's response to BLM...

"As someone who has followed and supported this account for a long time, I find this post to be incredibly miseducated. I do not condone the way that the Palestinian people are treated, but this is not their fight. This is an act of aggression by an antisemitic terrorist organization, Hamas, that pre-exists the current conflict between Israel and Palestine. You can stand up against terrorists and still support a peaceful solution to the conflict in Gaza. Your explanation of what is currently happening is incredibly off base and, quite frankly, offensive."

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

This is how the BLM faces Extinction.

They are thinking the nation of Israel to be like the USA: Apartheid and Inherit racism, must give everything back to what it was before.

55 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

Seriously?  

I actually agree with this, which I feel like has been happening more lately with your posts. I'm not sure if I'm turning into a left-wing liberal or we are just not as far apart as the media wants to make you believe. Given my stances, it's probably the latter but interesting nonetheless...

The constant harping by Republicans on Biden's various gaffes is annoying at this point. Yes, Biden makes gaffes. He has always made gaffes. This is literally nothing new and not worth a daily dose of "OMG look at Biden stumbling in his speech again" like Fox News does. Get over it.

That being said, there are some legitimate criticisms regarding his mental acuity, IMO. There is a difference between his gaffes and some of his apparent mental lapses. He's pretty obviously not as sharp as he once was, even just a few years ago. That's a problem.

As for Trump, he will constantly put himself first over the good of anyone else. One of my final straws was when he went after Gen. Mattis and called him the world's "most overrated general" and just laid into him, all because Mattis didn't agree with him and said so publicly. That guy has more patriotism in his pinky than Donald Trump has in his entire body. I really, really did not like that and that's when I started to go, "Ya know, I'm done with this guy. I like his policies but it's just not worth it."

15 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

So, then, it was the Palestinians’ responsibility to take the “offer” or lump it.

Sounds a lot like imperialism by force to me.

Let's say the British offered independence to the American colonists and a peace treaty to end the Revolutionary War and the colonists refused it. Then a year later lots of American colonists are killed by the British forces in the war. Is it British imperialism now that they got killed because they refused the offer for peace?

The Palestinians voted for Hamas to take control of the Gaza Strip's government while still being dependent on Israel for food and resources. Choices have consequences. 

When the land was officially given to Israel in the 1920's did the people who gave it to them make a mistake? 

Then there's this from an actual Palestinian called Bassam Ed

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To my Palestinian brothers and sisters, and to anyone who supports the Palestinian people, I implore you: 

Please do not let Hamas brainwash you into thinking it has "achieved" anything on our behalf.

It hasn't.

Not in the Gaza Wars of 2021, 2014, 2012, or 2008. 

Each one of these pointless conflicts has been a catastrophe, costing us dearly in lives and treasure. 

Hamas is not a social justice movement, and it certainly does not care about the Palestinian people. 

It is a criminal gang that only cares about increasing its own power.  

Israel is not the main cause of your suffering.

Hamas is the main cause. 

Israel is not your jailer. 

Hamas is. 

It was Hamas that led you into this most recent disaster. 

They told you that the Israelis were evicting innocent Palestinians from their homes in the Sheik Jarrah area of East Jerusalem. 

This is a lie. 

The people living in those homes weren't tenants; they were squatters. They hadn't paid rent for decades.

They told you that the Israelis planned to destroy the Al Aqsa Mosque. 

This, too, is a lie.

The mosque is still there. It will be there tomorrow. Say what you want about the Israelis, they are not stupid. They know that if they actually attempt to destroy Al Aqsa, it would lead to war with every Muslim country.

Yes, Hamas takes action and thus looks strong next to its rival, the corrupt Fatah party. But the only action it takes is to lead us into chaos. 

Hamas has no ability—and, in fact, no desire—to govern.

The water isn't safe to drink; the power goes out for hours at a time; raw sewage washes up on your beaches. The Israelis are not responsible for these dismal failures—Hamas is. And everybody in Gaza knows it. 

It is Hamas that steals the imported cement meant to build houses for you and uses it instead to build a massive network of tunnels from which it hopes to terrorize Israelis. It is Hamas that makes sure humanitarian aid meant for you is diverted to its favored elites who then sell it for a profit on the black market. 

And it is Hamas that uses you as human shields, stationing rocket launchers and missile arsenals in your apartments, office buildings, schools, and even hospitals.

Israel uses rockets to defend its people. Hamas uses people to defend its rockets.

As for its war strategy, Hamas doesn't have one. It fires missiles at the most highly populated regions of Israel, with no specific target. Yet, I know from my sources in Gaza that as much as 25 percent of all rockets launched by Hamas in May 2021 crashed within Gaza. Fifty Gaza civilians were killed by these rockets, their deaths falsely blamed on Israel.

Are you aware of the fact that some of the Hamas missiles that Israeli Defense Forces failed to intercept ended up exploding in places like Jaffa, Abu Ghosh, and Lod—where Arab Israelis live? Palestinians living in Israel are as likely to be killed as Israelis themselves.

Hamas couldn't care less.

And what was gained?

Palestinians living in those four buildings in Sheikh Jarrah will still eventually be evicted, a fact that has been known to those families since they sold away the title to those buildings.

Think about the even greater number of Palestinians who are now homeless in Gaza because Hamas chose to hide weapons in residential buildings.

And when naïve American and European NGO's offer millions to "rebuild Gaza" who do you think will get that money? It won't be you—the people who really deserve it and need it—it will be the leaders of the Hamas gang and their friends who will add new rooms to their fancy villas rather than rebuild homes, purchase coronavirus vaccines, or provide social services for their people.

And the peace you so deserve, the peace which could have been possible when Israel withdrew entirely from the Gaza Strip in 2005 will be even further out of reach. Hamas robbed you of that chance when it set up its military gang then. It's robbing you of the same chance now.

No matter how many Jews it manages to kill, Hamas will never be satisfied.

It will never stop lying.

But you can stop believing its lies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

Let's say the British offered independence to the American colonists and a peace treaty to end the Revolutionary War and the colonists refused it. Then a year later lots of American colonists are killed by the British forces in the war. Is it British imperialism now that they got killed because they refused the offer for peace?

New Jersey, Massachusetts and the Carolinas to remain British, because Britain says so. Like it or lump it.

What would be the logical reaction?

The Palestinians voted for Hamas to take control of the Gaza Strip's government while still being dependent on Israel for food and resources. Choices have consequences. 

Hamas didn’t even get a majority of the votes in 2006 (the most recent elections in Palestine). They got a 44% plurality, and ended up with a majority on the Palestinian Legislative Assembly because of various quirks in the electoral process.

Would it be fair to punish all Republicans for what a comparatively few hardcore Trumpers did at the Capitol on 6 Jan 2021?

When the land was officially given to Israel in the 1920's did the people who gave it to them make a mistake? 

If China got control of the West Coast and officially gave California to Mexico, would it be a mistake?

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

15 hours ago, roadtonowhere08 said:

So according to you, all civility within other religions was stolen from Christianity, yes?

That is partially true. It's part of the reason that the most cults today are derived from Christianity.

Islam and the Arab race is believed to have originated from Ishmael who was born to Abraham right before Isaac. His mother Hagar was a servant and not Abraham's wife. As a result Judaism, Christianity and Islam have many common beliefs, and are all called Abrahamic religions. However, only one of them claims that Jesus is God. If they contradict each other, it's not possible that all religions are equally valid, as moral relativism argues.

It's also written in Romans 2:15 that even atheists "...show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them", so that's another reason some civility is common among all religions.

Marxism tries to emulate Christianity and its concepts such as equality, justice and freedom. However it twists the Biblical definitions of equality, justice and freedom and is totally dependent on secular humanism to save the world. It says that the government should take from the rich to give to the poor and ensure equality of outcome and that religion is the problem rather than the solution.

All religions except for Christianity say a person is saved by works, which if they are saved by works, why would they ever need God? No book besides the Bible says that humans are not generally good people and that there's nothing they can do to save themselves. It also says that true faith will bear fruit and result in good works and that sanctification is a lifelong process. It says that under the human condition after the fall, it's impossible to have a totally just and equitable world no matter how hard we try. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 10:16 AM, Rubus Leucodermis said:

“Suppose Communists come out against cancer? Do we have to automatically come out for cancer?” — Studs Terkel

Cancer has nothing to do with transforming the economy or whether or not the government should steal from the rich/ white people/males (oppressors) to give to the poor/people of color/females (oppressed), which modern day social justice advocates.

If forcefully redistributing wealth equally among the entire world population was proven to cure cancer and Marxists discovered it in a lab, would it be worth it?

35 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

Cancer has nothing to do with transforming the economy or whether or not the government should steal from the rich/ white people/males (oppressors) to give to the poor/people of color/females (oppressed), which modern day social justice advocates.

If forcefully redistributing wealth equally among the entire world population was proven to cure cancer and Marxists discovered it in a lab, would it be worth it?

* WHOOSH! *

44 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

First, equate doing any one thing Communists do (even when many other than Communists do it) with implementing all of Communism.

Then, when called on it, point out that doing all of Communism (Stalin style) has been a disaster.

I suppose that counts as “logic” in MML’s book.

So much for freedom of speech in France and Germany:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67088547

France's interior minister has banned all pro-Palestinian demonstrations in the country.

"In a statement, Gérald Darmanin ordered foreign nationals who break the rules to be "systematically" deported.

The move comes as European governments fear a rise in antisemitism triggered by the Israel-Hamas war.

Later a large crowd of pro-Palestinian demonstrators defied the ban in Paris. Police put the total at 3,000, and said they made 10 arrests.

A water cannon was used to disperse the rally at Place de la République, where demonstrators chanted "Israel murderer" and "Palestine will win" and waved Palestinian flags.

Earlier German police broke up a pro-Palestinian demonstration in Berlin.

In a video address, President Emmanuel Macron urged the French people to stay united, saying "let's not add national divisions to international divisions".
He said 13 French citizens had died in the massive Hamas attack on Israelis on Saturday, and of the 17 others missing four were children.

He called Hamas "a terrorist organisation that wants the death of the people of Israel".

France has a Jewish community of almost 500,000, the biggest in Europe. France's Muslim community is also among Europe's largest - an estimated five million.

Mr Darmanin told regional prefects that Jewish schools and synagogues should be protected by a visible police presence.

He told French radio that 100 antisemitic acts had been recorded since Saturday. Most involved graffiti showing "swastikas, 'death to Jews,' calls to intifadas against Israel". However, some incidents included people being arrested attempting to carry knives into schools and synagogues, he added.

French police are already guarding the homes of leading MPs. National Assembly President Yaël Braun-Pivet and MP Meyer Habib have been offered further protection.
In a separate move, Germany's Chancellor Olaf Scholz declared "zero tolerance" for antisemitism.

He told parliament a pro-Palestinian group that had celebrated the murders of Israeli civilians on Saturday would be banned.

Berlin police have also banned planned pro-Palestinian demonstrations, citing the risk of antisemitic statements and glorification of violence. Authorities said around 60 demonstrators complied with an order to leave Berlin's Potsdamer Platz on Thursday."

If they don't want to appear to be totally in Israel's pocket, just ban protests from both sides.  Easy solution.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, roadtonowhere08 said:

So much for freedom of speech in France and Germany:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67088547

France's interior minister has banned all pro-Palestinian demonstrations in the country.

"In a statement, Gérald Darmanin ordered foreign nationals who break the rules to be "systematically" deported.

The move comes as European governments fear a rise in antisemitism triggered by the Israel-Hamas war.

Later a large crowd of pro-Palestinian demonstrators defied the ban in Paris. Police put the total at 3,000, and said they made 10 arrests.

A water cannon was used to disperse the rally at Place de la République, where demonstrators chanted "Israel murderer" and "Palestine will win" and waved Palestinian flags.

Earlier German police broke up a pro-Palestinian demonstration in Berlin.

In a video address, President Emmanuel Macron urged the French people to stay united, saying "let's not add national divisions to international divisions".
He said 13 French citizens had died in the massive Hamas attack on Israelis on Saturday, and of the 17 others missing four were children.

He called Hamas "a terrorist organisation that wants the death of the people of Israel".

France has a Jewish community of almost 500,000, the biggest in Europe. France's Muslim community is also among Europe's largest - an estimated five million.

Mr Darmanin told regional prefects that Jewish schools and synagogues should be protected by a visible police presence.

He told French radio that 100 antisemitic acts had been recorded since Saturday. Most involved graffiti showing "swastikas, 'death to Jews,' calls to intifadas against Israel". However, some incidents included people being arrested attempting to carry knives into schools and synagogues, he added.

French police are already guarding the homes of leading MPs. National Assembly President Yaël Braun-Pivet and MP Meyer Habib have been offered further protection.
In a separate move, Germany's Chancellor Olaf Scholz declared "zero tolerance" for antisemitism.

He told parliament a pro-Palestinian group that had celebrated the murders of Israeli civilians on Saturday would be banned.

Berlin police have also banned planned pro-Palestinian demonstrations, citing the risk of antisemitic statements and glorification of violence. Authorities said around 60 demonstrators complied with an order to leave Berlin's Potsdamer Platz on Thursday."

If they don't want to appear to be totally in Israel's pocket, just ban protests from both sides.  Easy solution.

There are exceptions to where Free Speech crosses the line into Hate Speech, like promotion of terrorism and threats.

6 minutes ago, roadtonowhere08 said:

That implies all supporters of Palestinians also support Hamas.  I assure you that is not even remotely true.

Even Israel understands that. The Palestinians were also brutalized by Hamas.

Israel drops flyers in Gaza with a message for Palestinians: report (msn.com)

With war breaking out in the Middle East, it's good to know we have a full strategic oil reserve in case fuel becomes an issue...oh wait...

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

26 minutes ago, Andie said:

With war breaking out in the Middle East, it's good to know we have a full strategic oil reserve in case fuel becomes an issue...oh wait...

Does not stop the tankers to the Arabian peninsula.  They could nuke each other and nothing changes as long as our dearly beloved Saudis are happy.

• lol 1

The leaflets to warn the Gaza civilians to get into shelters and away from Hamas is confirmed real

Hamas: ‘Flee', Israel drops warning leaflets for Gaza civilians - Vanguard News (vanguardngr.com)

This is not unlike the beginning of the 6 Days War of 1967.  But with each war it gets worse.   
The real danger are innocent lives in the way.  This will be a regional war but how protracted it will be is hard to know.  Iran is backing the Palestinians.  

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

1 hour ago, Andie said:

This is not unlike the beginning of the 6 Days War of 1967.  But with each war it gets worse.   
The real danger are innocent lives in the way.  This will be a regional war but how protracted it will be is hard to know.  Iran is backing the Palestinians.  

I sure hope it doesn’t turn into a regional war.

And it really looks like Netanyahu will live down to expectations and kill at least an order of magnitude more civilians than Hamas did. It’s sort of apples/oranges since the civilians Israel kills are typically a result of excusing itself from the normal standards of war, and not deliberate door-to-door pograms like what Hamas did, but in the final analysis death is death and suffering is suffering.

And so the cycle would continue. Not just Palestine but also Israel would probably be better off in the long run if the USA was more of an honest intermediary and encouraged restraint on Israel’s part (a measured response is not no response), but that is not the geopolitics we have.

Let’s hope that the US can be the calm in the storm and succeed in fostering restraint and peace.  

On another perspective I find this interesting it occurs on an annular eclipse/ virtually full/ this Saturday. 

Changing gears for a sec...

@Phil

I gifted you this referenced NYtimes article that runs counter to your "we don't know that humans are the primary driver causing the current warming trends" argument you were making in the PNW thread.  Still baffling.

The main point of the article I linked talks about the trends of our climate warming even more quickly over the last 15 years.

Does this acceleration mean that warming is happening faster than we thought or that it is too late to avoid the worst impacts? Not necessarily. Amazingly enough, this acceleration quite closely matches what climate models have projected for this period. In other words, scientists have long foreseen a possible acceleration of warming if our aerosol emissions declined while our greenhouse gas emissions did not. That’s what we’re now seeing. This may not make you feel much better about the future of warming but should at least make you feel better about our models and the power of science to prepare us for what’s to come.

It’s now clear that we can control how warm the planet gets over the coming decades. Climate models have consistently found that once we get emissions down to net zero, the world will largely stop warming; there is no warming that is inevitable or in the pipeline after that point. Of course, the world will not cool back down for many centuries, unless world powers join in major efforts to remove more carbon dioxide from the atmosphere than we add. But that is the brutal math of climate change and the reason we need to speed up efforts to reduce emissions significantly.

6 hours ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

Changing gears for a sec...

@Phil

I gifted you this referenced NYtimes article that runs counter to your "we don't know that humans are the primary driver causing the current warming trends" argument you were making in the PNW thread.  Still baffling.

The main point of the article I linked talks about the trends of our climate warming even more quickly over the last 15 years.

Oh, him.

He’s really knowledgeable about certain aspects of global climate systems, yet staggeringly ignorant of the basics of other aspects of earth sciences. He once was totally confused as to why winter snow pack was so important in the western US.[1]

Add that to his pomposity[2], condescension, and intellectual dishonesty, and I concluded that his contributions had little or no overall value to offer to me and recently added him to my ignore list.[3]

Since then, he has not been missed.

[1] “Why do you all care so much that the mountains aren’t getting much snow? You don’t live up in them, and most of you don’t ski.” Literally, that was his attitude.

[2] Articles in scientific journals written by Ph.D.’s communicating with other Ph.D.’s are less jargon and acronym-riddled, and more accessible to the layman than many of his posts. I asked him a few times to clarify what he meant in more accessible language and he ignored me.

[3] Of which he is the only member.

• Like 1

Questions for Democrats

1. The CRT philosophers believe that the following statement is racist: There is only one race, the human race. 
Do you agree or disagree?
2. The CRT philosophers also say that race is a made-up social construct created by white people to dominate society and oppress people of color. If they believe this is true, doesn't this contradict what they believe from Question 1?
3. If banning abortion would increase the amount of illegal and unsafe abortions, why wouldn't banning guns increase the number of people illegally and unsafely obtaining guns?
4. Some climate scientists say we should regulate the amount of meat that is eaten by a social credit system that would punish people for buying meat. If a new study were to discover that anal sex causes a chemical reaction that accelerates climate change, would you support punishing people who practice anal sex?
5. One of Bernie Sanders' 3 houses is robbed by a Trump supporter and Bernie says that person should go to jail. The next day a government agent robs another one of his houses promising to redistribute his money and possessions to the poor. Should the second person also go to jail?  
6. If a Ten Commandments plaque or nativity scene in the public square is Christian nationalism, than why isn't the big statue of Buddha that they have in Thailand Buddhist nationalism?
7. BLM once posted on Twitter that vaccine mandates were racist. Do you agree or disagree? Should these people be censored from Twitter?

• scream 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Spam 1

Looks like Jim Jordan is going to be put up for Speaker again.  Nothing like putting up the guy who has been ignoring a Congressional Subpoena for more than 500 days...another fine display of Republican ethics and integrity!

• Troll 1
  • bongocat-test 1

20 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

Even a calm cool respected member of Congress doesn’t want to stick his toe into the cesspool.  

Not even to save the Republic!!!

🤣

• Like 1