2/4 - 2/8: Multiple Potential Rain/Ice/Snow Events

East Dubzz

Looks like the globals were right after all. Can’t remember a time when all meso models bowed to the globals as the event was unfolding.

What I notice is that sometimes the meso models will pick up on something early, and then the global will follow. But if the global continue to be consistent up until the event, they do sometimes win that battle. Of course, that’s not how it always work, but I’ve seen the global “win” those battles before as well. Just like the global model, the meso models aren’t without fault either.

What I notice is that sometimes the meso models will pick up on something early, and then the global will follow. But if the global continue to be consistent up until the event, they do sometimes win that battle. Of course, that’s not how it always work, but I’ve seen the global “win” those battles before as well. Just like the global model, the meso models aren’t without fault either.

Yeah I’m just kinda surprised that all of the mesos showed the same thing, and they were all wrong. Doesn’t happen often.

We had a bit of freezing rain, but it has mostly been sleet.  These last couple cells have dropped moderate to heavy sleet.  Radar suggests we are mostly done with the heavier stuff.  This event doesn't seem to be too big of a deal here.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

We had a bit of freezing rain, but it has mostly been sleet. These last couple cells have dropped moderate to heavy sleet. Radar suggests we are mostly done with the heavier stuff. This event doesn't seem to be too big of a deal here.

HRRR does develop some more FZR later tonight, but it won’t add up to a whole lot. That said, it doesn’t really take much freezing rain to cause a mess. Luckily it’ll be during a time where the roads are much less traveled.

The chase was a great choice. On the bluff overlooking red wing. Really great stuff

Was it barn bluff?! So weird, my family lives like right there, literally got a snap from downtown red wing just a few minutes ago. That's so cool you're there, it looks like it's rip city! 

fun afternoon....

What are your thoughts for the next system. I haven't focused on it much. Thinking a borderline warning/advisory event??

Models seem to be painting .50” QPF up around your area, but I’m not sure what ratios are like. I’m thinking a warning is very much in play for you.

fun afternoon....

What are your thoughts for the next system. I haven't focused on it much. Thinking a borderline warning/advisory event??Y

I'm thinking you'll get a warning...great track for your area and the wind looks strong as well...great potential for a sweet defo band pivoting right over you and into Wisco.

I believe every model now has some rain for me with the next system. There’s also some snow and ice mixed in at various points. That just sounds pretty terrible, but will be interesting to watch develop I suppose.

Sounds like freezing rain, to regular rain, back to freezing rain. Euro wants to give me 1-3” of snow on the backside, but I think that’s one of most (if not THE most) aggressive models in regards to that.

NWS Hastings now saying some snow bands may produce 3-4” tomorrow night with blowing and drifting preceded by various frozen precipitation types. Might be pretty rough travel around this area Wednesday night into Thursday morning. They also mentioned many chances for snow in the next week. Giddy up.

• Like 2

GRR has 0.3"-0.4" of ice on the grids in some places. So why on Earth is the entire CWA in a WWA instead of some being in an ice storm warning? That makes absolutely no sense. Same goes for DTX.

GRR defaults to a WWA unless pushed, pulled, held at gun point, etc.. to go warning (for anything) it seems these days.

Besides, WAA has been robust this winter and they may well be riding that pony.

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918