February 2019 Weather Observations and Discussion Part 2

snow_wizard

What is wrong with mountain men? So everyone who heats there home with wood is a mountain man? Not everyone has a combined family income of 500k a year like you and can afford a 400 buck a month heating bill.

Nothing is wrong with them... but mountain men should probably live in the mountains and not in the Seattle area.   Most people do manage to heat their homes without burning wood.    It would not be pleasant if everyone in western WA was burning wood for 6 months of the year.     

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Fuckkk. I'm a mountain man because i have wood heat. I also have no teeth and have a beard.

Just be glad that most people in western WA do not burn wood all winter.   It would ruin the area for everyone... including you.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I hope you a rifle too.

That's what his sister-wife calls it.  ;)

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Fuckkk. I'm a mountain man because i have wood heat. I also have no teeth and have a beard.

My father-in-law loves his wood burning stove and uses it all winter in MN... but he has said many times that it would be bad if everyone did it.  

Why do you think they ban wood burning during stagnant air periods in western WA unless you have no other way to heat your home?

Yet another pointless argument that is everyone’s fault but Tim’s. Ugh.

How is this Tim’s fault for responding to Jim’s mention of the heaters going out? Everyone just starts attacking him it’s crazy. He can’t just have a simpler conversation about heaters function in cold weather?!
  • Like 2

Yet another pointless argument that is everyone’s fault but Tim’s. Ugh.

Yeah... I brought up wood burning today.    Definitely high on my list of issues to discuss.     :rolleyes:

How did it take out a furnace... by using it? Must have been old and about to fail anyways.

Our furnace is set to 70-72 and running most of the winter every year because its not that warm outside. It could fail when its 20 degrees or 40 degrees outside because its running either way.

It’s pretty common to have climate control equipment go out during weather extremes as they do have to work extra hard.
  • Like 1

How is this Tim’s fault for responding to Jim’s mention of the heaters going out? Everyone just starts attacking him it’s crazy. He can’t just have a simpler conversation about heaters function in cold weather?!

Exactly, everyone’s fault but his. That’s what I said.

It’s pretty common to have climate control equipment go out during weather extremes as they do have to work extra hard.

Yeah... it probably just accelerates the failure of old furnaces which were on their way out already.

The ECMWF looks way better than the previous two runs later in the week.  In fact it give nice Fraser outflow mid week also.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

So this week is all rain now? All eyes on next weekend?

Still a decent chance of lowland snow somewhere during the week.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wood burning is far more expensive than any other heat source if you are within any reach of a utility company.

Uh....no.

I mostly cut my own anyway.  Fun wiping out spotted owl habitat....Just kidding!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Was a fun end to winter

It's not over yet.  The late week thing looks good on the new Euro and we still get some good cold in here during the week.  Low 20s for lows Wednesday on the ECMWF.  I still bet there will be some lowland snow this week.2

EDIT...low 20s for Thursday.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

800 dollars of wood will heat a 2000 square ft home 1 year. I've heated my house for free in the past 20 years besides saw gas.

And just like most things... if everyone was doing it then it would ruin it for everyone.   Including you.     

Be glad that most people don't burn wood all winter.    It allows you to do it.  

Nothing has really changed from the original thinking this week.  Not sure why everyone is so negative other than the fact that's par for the course with these things.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

800 dollars of wood will heat a 2000 square ft home 1 year. I've heated my house for free in the past 20 years besides saw gas.

Yeah but the work involved is retarded. I grew up with wood heat. Never again. I'd rather push a button on the thermostat. 

EDIT:  hey I was just throwing my 2 cents in there. I went back and saw the great debate about burning wood heat in certain areas and different opinions on the matter. sheesh. My opinion stems from being practically forced to do the majority of the work as a kid in regards to using wood as the main heat source. 

Yup.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah but the work involved is retarded. I grew up with wood heat. Never again. I'd rather push a button on the thermostat. 

People are afraid to work these days.  I do everything the hard way every chance I get.  I have heard there are cultures that still live that way and they are very fit and healthy.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

People are afraid to work these days.  I do everything the hard way every chance I get.  I have heard there are cultures that still live that way and they are very fit and healthy.

I'm not afraid to work. But the last thing I want to do after getting off of work where I get paid, is to come home and do more work yet. No thanks. Thats something else Ive learned since living out here in BFE.....just too D**n much work to live out this far. 

• Like 1