June 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

Heh, I’ve never heard of vinegar being used.

Unfortunately we’re not allowed to use bleach here (it’s still permitted in Loudoun County, though). And Zinc powder isn’t an option thanks to the sycamore roots that would be damaged.

I strain the pickle juice out of the jar (when I finish the pickles) and apply that to moss I don't want. Kills it quickly and seems to help keep it from coming back.

• Like 1

Traveling between cities would be faster and mountain roads are far better maintained in WA and CA IMO. And yes, I’m weird. I want more people here. Traffic in the city is what it is.

This is clearly a waste of my time.

This is clearly a waste of my time.

:lol:

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Traveling between cities would be faster and mountain roads are far better maintained in WA and CA IMO. And yes, I’m weird. I want more people here. Traffic in the city is what it is.

Arguing that OR should be more like CA, including more crowded with people, is going to be a tough sell to most Oregonians.  :lol:

A forum for the end of the world.

:lol:

Running to the store now. I’m going to start a petition that they put an 8-lane freeway between me and the Freddies down the road so I can cruise there at 85mph. All the dumb lights they have in place right now seem pretty inefficient. Call me a weirdo but I love good infrastructure.

Arguing that OR should be more like CA, including more crowded with people, is going to be a tough sell to most Oregonians. :lol:

I like Oregon the way it is making it more like California would suck. However it probably will be in about 20 years unfortunately. Starting to turn into California up here in WA and I hate it. Traffic sucks here.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Arguing that OR should be more like CA, including more crowded with people, is going to be a tough sell to most Oregonians.  :lol:

I’m a Washingtonian. But yes, as the spaghetti maze of freeways in LA has shown us, more is always better.

Speaking of hardscapes and moss... when we cleared for our garage we discovered this boulder the size of a car but it was all covered in moss because it had been deep in the forest. My wife spent an afternoon cleaning it up with a brush and water and now it is a great landscape feature... and you can tell its a rock and not just a green mound.

20190617-145220.jpg

Being on the side of a ridge... there are many boulders like this strewn about the area up here from past geological events.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Speaking of hardscapes and moss... when we cleared for our garage we discovered this boulder the size of a car but it was all covered in moss because it had been deep in the forest. My wife spent an afternoon cleaning it up with a brush and water and now it is a great landscape feature... and you can tell its a rock and not just a green mound.

Being on the side of a ridge... there are many boulders like this strewn about the area up here from past geological events.

That looks like it may have been carried there by glaciers.

Traffic here in Tacoma has gotten worse and worse. Too many people from other states and Seattle flooding in here. Constant traffic around town and on I-5 and skyrocketing rent prices and taxes. Pretty lame in my opinion I’d hate to see that happen to eastern Oregon is really nice the way it is.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Guest CulverJosh

Such a beautiful vista. Love coming out here and want to in the winter so bad. ❄️

You guys want a place to crash in the winter I got ya covered.

• Like 1

Guest CulverJosh

Traffic here in Tacoma has gotten worse and worse. Too many people from other states and Seattle flooding in here. Constant traffic around town and on I-5 and skyrocketing rent prices and taxes. Pretty lame in my opinion I’d hate to see that happen to eastern Oregon is really nice the way it is.

Has already happened to Bend and to a lesser extent, Redmond. But nice places are to be had if you dont mind a 30 minute commute.

• Like 1

Has already happened to Bend and to a lesser extent, Redmond. But nice places are to be had if you dont mind a 30 minute commute.

still not nearly as bad as it is up here but that may change over the next couple decades.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Yeah, improvements to existing freeways are obviously reasonable. But adding more and more generally backfires.

they have like 6 lanes on I-5 each direction near the Tacoma dome and it still can take an hour to go 5 miles on some days. They could add 10 lanes and it would probably be the same lol.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

they have like 6 lanes on I-5 each direction near the Tacoma dome and it still can take an hour to go 5 miles on some days. They could add 10 lanes and it would probably be the same lol.

Agreed. Many studies of traffic pattens have shown this to be spot on.

Tacoma and Everett are traffic insanity.   I swear we have never gone up to Bellingham without being stuck in traffic through Everett and Marysville.  It never ends.

I-90 is a dream in comparison.   And because it runs east and west... the Sound and the Cascades prevent much more in the way of development along that route.   Its infinitely more scenic (no billboards or new development allowed) and less congested than anything along I-5.   I am not sure how people who have to travel I-5 daily can do it.   I would throw in the towel and move.   I guess maybe that is a form of population control.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Guest CulverJosh

Im not going to lie. 3 months over here in central Oregon and I am killing myself for not doing it long ago. I surely took years off my life dealing with the stress of Portland and Seattle, respectively. Just not worth it.

Guest CulverJosh

still not nearly as bad as it is up here but that may change over the next couple decades.

As it pertains to housing prices it is. That is what I was referencing. And the cost of goods is definitely higher ie; milk, bread, meat, etc.

We got around mainly by train our 12 days in Germany. Their system is very reliable and efficient. Sort of puts public transportation over here to shame.

20190617-145220.jpg

We have giant boulders like that too, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how they got here, because (as far as I know) there were no glaciers around these parts to drop them off randomly like that.

And they’re everywhere. Huge motherfückers. Either sticking up out of the ground or resting on it. Some are easily 15+ft high and even larger in girth.

Well I succeeded in blowing up some pages so there's that.  I know it's an unpopular opinion and I appreciate the rebuttals.  :)  Also, while I consider myself an Oregonian, I probly have too much Texas background.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

We have giant boulders like that too, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how they got here, because (as far as I know) there were no glaciers around these parts.

And they’re everywhere. Huge motherfückers. Just sticking up out of the ground. Some are easily 15ft high or more and larger in girth.

Paul Bunyan probably dropped them there on his way to hang out with Nessie.

Well I succeeded in blowing up some pages so there's that. I know it's an unpopular opinion and I appreciate the rebuttals. :) Also, while I consider myself an Oregonian, I probly have too much Texas background.

If there’s one thing Texans love it’s wide open spaces accessed by a sprawling network of high speed freeways.

• Like 1

Agreed. Many studies of traffic pattens have shown this to be spot on.

Traffic circles help IMO.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Bend is trying to make every intersection a roundabout. No joke.

It’s beautiful. A comfort cruise compared to Springfield. But traffic is what it is. The struggle of creating efficient infrastructure and subsequently traffic flow is impressive to me. I know it’s an unpopular opinion.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Guest CulverJosh

It’s beautiful. A comfort cruise compared to Springfield. But traffic is what it is. The struggle of creating efficient infrastructure and subsequently traffic flow is impressive to me. I know it’s an unpopular opinion.

Oh. I wasnt bad-mouthing it...they work. Just takes them 8 weeks per. Seems they could speed that part up.

20190617-145220.jpg

Is that a weed in your gravel??

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Is that a weed in your gravel??

Noooooooo.

Those are small conifer bushes that my wife planted.   Weed are not allowed there!   :)