June 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

Forum is much more enjoyable when Tim is MIA.....just sayin.

Hardly MIA. I have been posting. You just have not been paying attention. Although I don't really want to engage in the political talk. ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I love the Timisms. Easy to follow for the lame person.

Great point. You being the lame person in that example?

Is everyone in the Bend/Redmond area angry all the time?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

62 and partly cloudy here as of 8:30pm. Hopefully we can get some rain tomorrow. Central Puget Sound was able to get some but I was too far south for that action.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

62 and partly cloudy here as of 8:30pm. Hopefully we can get some rain tomorrow. Central Puget Sound was able to get some but I was too far south for that action.

The area from Olympia to Tacoma is going to be shadowed for the most part through Thursday... as usual in NW flow.

ecmwf-tprecip-washington-13.png

The area from Olympia to Tacoma is going to be shadowed for the most part through Thursday... as usual in NW flow.

yeah exactly what I was anticipating the last few days.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Uugghh, we don't need rain here at all.

Actually, Gray’s Harbor county needs it worse than just about anywhere else in the region.

EB513861-1E53-45E2-8A22-1C343B4DC03A.png

7AAD2849-15CB-4B5E-8DE2-995FE49EED51.png

Looks like your area is about 16-20” below average over the last 12 months.

• Like 1

Uugghh, we don't need rain here at all.

That May be your opinion and there’s nothing wrong with that however most of the western half of WA is under a drought with a higher degree of that being on the Olympic peninsula and the coast.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

That May be your opinion and there’s nothing wrong with that however most of the western half of WA is under a drought with a higher degree of that being on the Olympic peninsula and the coast.

Not wanting rain would be an opinion. Not needing rain is a factually incorrect statement lol

• Like 1

Not wanting rain would be an opinion. Not needing rain is a factually incorrect statement lol

yes there is opinions versus actual statistics. Certainly is in drought criteria wether you want rain or not it’s well below normal.

I certainly hope we get rain we really do need it. However there is no way of telling if it will be made

Whole or not we’re never due anything.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Yeah, I don't doubt the legitimacy of those micro-climates. Pretty unusual for a station to get an isolated .21" with that type of setup, but it happens.

Just remember this day the next time someone claims SEA is running mysteriously dry...there were rumors of that earlier this year.

ya that was why I was surprised this morning as I only got a measly .06”. However it doesn’t refute the station running low. It was still one of the lowest in the area of the convergence this morning. Nearby areas reported .25 to .30 but that was a bit east of Boeing which would make sense for places further towards the foothills receiving more with a convergence.

Forum is much more enjoyable when Tim is MIA.....just sayin.

Honestly, he contributes more here on a typical day than you do in an entire year. And I’m often butting heads with the guy.

• Like 2

That was one thin convergence this morning around SEA must have only been 1/4 mile wide at the most. Reminds me of a few years ago when a 1/2 mile wide convergence set up in south seattle near SEA giving the station 4-5” of snow while the rest of the area got a dusting at most. Those convergences are so fascinating. I sat at a park along the puget sound once and watched one form out of nothing and create heavy rain within 15-30min. It’s almost like watching a sped up video of clouds forming it happened so quick.

GhChris has a habit of making factually incorrect statements. I’m starting to think he does it on purpose.

I like the look of what that shows for up here, looks like convective convergence rolling down the island. Haven't seem much indication of that happening in other models, but most of them did terribly in the last major rain event here, so here's to hoping.

It's ironic because Randy's house actually put SEA to shame with an eight inch downpour this morning.

Close! It was a .01” downpour!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Central Willamette Valley has been pleasant. Morning clouds burned off for a very nice day. Got to 76F in Monmouth. Headed back south to Springfield tomorrow.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Possible. Also possible that Mossman's latest landscaping drainage endeavors have led to rainwater overflow impacting the airport.

Could be...but it will no longer be flowing towards my house anymore!

049366AA-6622-4DEA-A1D3-94AC55A71A2A.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

No surprise on the 00Z ECMWF for the next couple days... rain is focused in areas that are favored by NW flow.

That trough takes up permanent residency off the West Coast next week per the 00Z ECMWF and yet does not deliver much rain and the days are decently warm per the surface maps with highs mostly in the 70s and less in the way of marine layer.  

Here is total precip for days 5-10 with the second trough...

ecmwf-precip-120-washington-41.png

No surprise on the 00Z ECMWF for the next couple days... rain is focused in areas that are favored by NW flow.

That trough takes up permanent residency off the West Coast next week per the 00Z ECMWF and yet does not deliver much rain and the days are decently warm per the surface maps with highs mostly in the 70s and less in the way of marine layer.

Here is total precip for days 5-10 with the second trough...

ecmwf-precip-120-washington-41.png

That trough digging a little bit further off the coast the past few runs makes me think a bit of southerly flow and perhaps some instability next week. Maybe a tstorm or 2.
  • Like 2

Yeah, I don't doubt the legitimacy of those micro-climates. Pretty unusual for a station to get an isolated .21" with that type of setup, but it happens.

Just remember this day the next time someone claims SEA is running mysteriously dry...there were rumors of that earlier this year.

I agree that it's weird. Boeing Field, Tacoma Narrows and Renton all had either Trace or 0.02" today and they're all pretty close to Seatac. Seatac also reported drizzle most of the event, which doesn't usually accumulate that much. I know that C-zones can be really localized though.

Wow, having an opinion sparks other new opinions about someone's opinions.

I want a hot dry summer, that's my opinion, it is way greener here at this point of the year than it has been in many years, that is a fact.

I like what I like.

Carry on.

You sound an awful lot like your arch rival right now.

Wow, having an opinion sparks other new opinions about someone's opinions.

I want a hot dry summer, that's my opinion, it is way greener here at this point of the year than it has been in many years, that is a fact.

I like what I like.

Carry on.

Get bent.

• Like 2

HRRR shows that Randy's area and my area are going to get hit this evening... while everyone else gets basically nothing.   

1ref_t1sfc_f18.png

That trough digging a little bit further off the coast the past few runs makes me think a bit of southerly flow and perhaps some instability next week. Maybe a tstorm or 2.

EPS seems to keep the trough more centered over us. The digging solutions could be the Euro cutoff bias showing up in the mid-range.

HRRR shows that Randy's area and my area are going to get hit this evening... while everyone else gets basically nothing.

1ref_t1sfc_f18.png

Perfect! We are lush green here and it looks to continue!

Late June just isn't typically going to see a lot of rain. Another well below average rain month here. In the past 14 months only two have had above normal precip here. 

Some broken marine layer here in Salem, look solid a few miles north. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.