June 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

The SEA number is accurate actually... BFI came in at 70 as well.     And RNT had a high of 71 (just 3 miles east of SEA).

You need to understand how the c-zone works and how it can be relatively warm just to the south of the c-zone which is what happened today.  Its a natural phenomenon and not UHI in this case.

Very interesting, thank you. PSCZ is a foreign concept to me since I've never experienced it.

C-zone in action... 

Issaquah:

090vc01581.jpg

SEA:

005vc15315.jpg

Just a few miles apart... and it will probably stay like that all night.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Wasn't there an event in 1990 where downtown Seattle got buried in snow thanks to PSCZ while nearby locations got absolutely nothing?

Also the April 18, 2008 event.

Happens all the time with the c-zone.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Wasn't there an event in 1990 where downtown Seattle got buried in snow thanks to PSCZ while nearby locations got absolutely nothing?

Also the April 18, 2008 event.

April 2008 was really cool we had a couple inches of snow here in Tacoma. Melted fast but it was an interesting memory I was 9 years old at the time lol.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

C-zone has sprung to life over King County as predicted... and Randy's rain in on the way too.     It raining pretty hard here now.   Models say this will go all night and into tomorrow morning.  

Easily going to stay lush green up here through the 4th of July at this point.     

ATX-0-1.png

Looked a little ominous to my north on my drive home. Still partly cloudy, windy, and chilly with a temp of 54 currently.

543FD5AC-44B9-4013-BF1E-BE65EBC34E3F.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Now spread some of that shower activity to central Oregon please. Getting pretty parched over here. High today was 73 but tomorrow looks to be about 67. Not ready for the constant heat yet.

You’re in luck since (for now) there is no major heat on the horizon. Of course that could quickly change.

57 and mostly cloudy. Breezy evening still. No rain yet C-zone still too far north for here. Sitting at 0.06” of rainfall on the month of June still.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

57 and mostly cloudy. Breezy evening still. No rain yet C-zone still too far north for here. Sitting at 0.06” of rainfall on the month of June still.

Pretty sure I have had 10 times that much just this evening here.  

Pretty sure I have had 10 times that much just this evening here.

yeah select areas around the sound have done good the past couple months with convergence zone set ups and some areas haven’t. I’ve just been in an unlucky spot with 0.58” since May 1st. Seems like the cascade foothills and C-zone areas north of Seattle have done better than the south sound.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I worked in the rain for hours this afternoon and got home to find there hadn’t been a single drop of rain here. Windy again with gusts topping out around 35mph. That has been one of the most persistent convergence zones I can remember seeing over Vancouver Island today. Looks like it’s starting to slide south now.

Really interesting rainbow this evening with the sunset and passing thunderstorm.  The sky inside the rainbow was a bright pink and really contrasted with the rest of the sky.  Picture doesn't quite do it justice.

Really a cool pic even with all the electrical lines!

So close :(

Irrigation system shutdown denied!

Holy c-zone!

Almost an inch in the valley and over an inch up here just this evening.

This is how I like to get the rainfall totals up.

Fancy. How long have you had that?

Years.

Usually only use it the summer to know how much to water. Won't need to water for another 2 weeks now at least.

Years.

Usually only use it the summer to know how much to water. Won't need to water for another 2 weeks now at least.

I see. I imagine you’d have to water the veggie garden more frequently.

Still nothing measurable here today. Looks like the rain band over the island is losing some steam too

I see. I imagine you’d have to water the veggie garden more frequently.

Still nothing measurable here today. Looks like the rain band over the island is losing some steam too

We have watered the garden a few times this month... but we had over an inch on 6/7 as well so that was well timed.

The lawn has stayed green. And now will be squishy for a couple days. There will be a few weeks when it needs watering but I am sure we will get some more significant rain in late August as usual.

A new c-zone is forming now north of Seattle... round 2 incoming.

A very wet night is about to get even wetter.   Meanwhile SEA will probably get nothing.   

Not quite.  ;)

Just saw that... .48 at SEA overnight and now at .82 for the month.

All of King County was soaked overnight.   Ended up with 1.30 inches here.

0.03" of rain this morning and a low of 45. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I am sure someone will pop out of the wood work to correct me, but this feels like one of the coldest few days in June that I can remember. My parents think its been the coldest late spring since 98.

I should dig up some graphs because recency bias is a *****.

I guess 2010 and 2011 didn’t happen then.

It’s not at all unusual to have a week or two of 2011-like weather in a typical summer. In early July it’ll probably flip back to ridging and summer will be back.

I guess 2010 and 2011 didn’t happen then.

It’s not at all unusual to have a week or two of 2011-like weather in a typical summer. In early July it’ll probably flip back to ridging and summer will be back.

Not only has not been the coldest late spring in years... it has not even been cold.   Its actually been warmer than normal.

anomimage.gif