November 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

Lol @ how the mood in here swings with each clown range GFS run. You’re all gonna wear yourselves out before winter even begins.

I am a hawk for nice weather in the warm season... and even I don't spend time trying to make myself feel better with 300+ hour maps from the 18Z run.     That would not improve my mood in any way.      <_>

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Wow, this is wild. Just shows you how dry it's been in Australia. We have to go back all the way to the 1880s before finding something close to this. Speaking of Nov 1886, that was a great winter here in the PNW. Top 10 all time snowfall here at PDX. They had 31.2" that winter in 1886-87. Anybody have more info on that winter and when the Arctic Blast(s) and snows came?

All in February. 1886-87 was a progression similar to last winter, only way way better.

• Like 1

The inaccuracies are very apparent with that model. How does Oregon have that cold of anomolies with Eastern Washington in a warm anomoly? Never happens. Tells you all you need to know about that model.

That is at the 850mb level.

That could easily happen... and those anomalies are very weak anyways.

The GFS and ECMWF also show it happening in 3 days... its actually common with split flow for the 850mb anomalies to be cooler farther south.

gfs_T850a_us_16.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nice to be in a slightly cooler clime this week. Highs in the upper 40s coming up!

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Guest CulverJosh

1,600 feet... east of Salem, OR.

Yep. He lives in a pretty amazing place. Always squeezes out every ounce of precip (orographics), and high enough to reap the benefits (snow), in marginal onshore flow situations. Basically the same elevation as Detroit and I dont think I ever went fishing there Nov-April growing up without some upslope clouds at least.

• Like 1

Yep. He lives in a pretty amazing place. Always squeezes out every ounce of precip (orographics), and high enough to reap the benefits in marginal onshore flow situations. Basically the same elevation as Detroit and I dont think I ever went fishing there Nov-April growing up without some upslope clouds at least.

No east wind or offshore flow though. 

Re: The 1880s/19th century Australian drought.

From Eric Webb’s site, some reconstructed 19th/early 20th century ENSO (by trimonthly ONI).

https://www.webberweather.com/ensemble-oceanic-nino-index.html

IBpBL6I.png

TxvxTtn.png

pzrVZ8x.png

dig82Do.png

OW6Gmdj.png

• Like 4

Guest CulverJosh

No east wind or offshore flow though.

True, but the other benefits make up for it I think. Feast or famine.

On another note. And a totally different animal. When I was in Lake Stevens for 8 years I just was amazed at how much snow we would get in relation to downtown Everett @ only 270' of elevation. That pscz just loved a couple hundred feet of elevation in relation to sea level. My ex-gf thought I was crazy how I had dreams of living at 2000' on Mt pilchuck. I could only orgasm at that kind of fun.

From Eric Webb’s site, some reconstructed 19th/early 20th century ENSO (by trimonthly ONI).

IBpBL6I.png

TxvxTtn.png

pzrVZ8x.png

dig82Do.png

OW6Gmdj.png

Apparently there were coherent subdecadal ENSO regimes back then, even if relatively low in amplitude.

Unbroken +ENSO from 1864-65 to 1868-69, -ENSO from 1869-70 to 1875-76, etc.

• Like 2

IBpBL6I.png

TxvxTtn.png

pzrVZ8x.png

dig82Do.png

OW6Gmdj.png

Where is 2002?

IBpBL6I.png

TxvxTtn.png

pzrVZ8x.png

dig82Do.png

OW6Gmdj.png

Oh I see... it only goes out through 1914.

Maybe click on the link and read up on the methodologies before jumping to conclusions?

Oh sorry I forgot..Oktoberrr = deztinyyy is all the rage nowadays.

• Like 1

IBpBL6I.png

TxvxTtn.png

pzrVZ8x.png

dig82Do.png

OW6Gmdj.png

Maybe click on the link and read up on the methodologies before jumping to conclusions?

You mean the link above here?

Wait. WHAT? Make sure you're sitting down. Day 6 and what's this? The GFS is trying to throw an actual legit low towards us? 995mb into Vancouver Island. Not a wind storm or close to it, but still nice to see IF it verifies. Low is still deepening after landfall, so it could be windy for the Puget Sound up to Bellingham.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_25.png

• Like 1