The Weather Forums

2020 Weather Mid Atlantic/Gulf Coast.

HRRR has placed my location in a precip hole for the last several runs. Hopefully that busts.

the problem with these type of set ups slow moving thunderstorms with little to no steeling flow it really hard to pin point where the storms will fire track.but if cought under one you could get a crap load of rain in a sort order.take right now for instance we have storms moving west north south and east :lol:
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to introduce a precip type that most of us have observed, but has not been categorized. I call it "sain." It is hard to see unless you are driving. When sain hits the windshield it splats

Good lord.      

that was certainly a Bust of a game they completey went away from what brought them the success all year really head scratching to say the least but still an exciting season.weather was very warm felt

Posted Images

For the first time since late June, we finally dropped below 70°F. Solid rain tonight, up to 5.32” on the month and we’re only halfway through.

I think at least one of the days Monday - Wednesday will feature some decent storms around here.

Gross & stagnant presently..90°F with mid 70s dewpoints.

Saterday could be interesting if the models are right with the remains of Laura passing over head.alot of hype by the nws spc and Justin berk tonignt but so far unless something happens they all maybe eating there words in a big bust :lol:.the fact remains that most of our high end events are from systems that don't get a lot of attention.they tend to sneak up on us and the nws spc having to catch up.something has to be looked at with the repeated errors on the models convected setups as of late I have noticed a few times this summer where models blew chunks with the setup.

Zippo here. Had to water the grass/plants today. Was another gross afternoon with heat indices pushing 100° for the umpteenth time.

Storms have been avoiding this area like the plague for the last 10 days or so.

yeah Anne Arundel county has been a hot bed for storms this summer.it really poured while we were driving to the Columbia Mall a few hours ago.

Agree with Justin Berk the ghost of Laura ended up futher north then the Ecmwf advertise which was in southern Virginia instead its tracking through maryland.Also is weaker then models indacated as well.amazing considering nearly a little over 48 hours ago we had a well defind hurricane tropica system on the map now it a hard to defind mess embedded in the fronter system.on the bright side tommore looks fantastic.

Yesterday’s convection split me yet again. Now this sorry excuse for a squall line is doing likewise.

Three whiffs in 3 days.

Yesterday’s convection split me yet again. Now this sorry excuse for a squall line is doing likewise.

Three whiffs in 3 days.

what looked like a good weather day for monday has turned into a showery thunderstorm day on many forecast the models have really been crapping the bed as of late to say the least :lol:

Larry Cosgrove is increasingly concern about a big hurricane hit or two between the periold mid september- early to mid october base on the pattern potentially supporting a mid west ohio vally trough which would be a ugly pattern for the east coast hopefully something changes because it could be trouble in the making.

Slight risk today, enhanced risk tomorrow from SPC.

Humid day, presently 88/78 with condensation dripping from the windows. Hopefully enough fuel for some action.

Yet another whiff here. 3rd time in a row. Really starting to piss me the fuuck off at this point.

You’re a püssy, ma’ nature. Get it up or go home, princess.

Anne Arundel is the hot bed for storms this season

DC/Southern Beltway too. Repeating theme this year.

If bad things come in threes, then today should’ve been the final day of screwage and tomorrow will perform bigly.

DC/Southern Beltway too. Repeating theme this year.

If bad things come in threes, then today should’ve been the final day of screwage and tomorrow will perform bigly.

if you get wiffed today if indeed they issue a tornado watch you know mother nature is truely screwing with you phil.

Just heavey rain here the worse stayed north near baltimore and south in Annapolis but these were legit in the locations that got hit in fact possable conferm tornado around the Annapolis location.you could here the litery none stop distence thunder so who ever got the core I have no doubt got slammed.

if you get wiffed today if indeed they issue a tornado watch you know mother nature is truely screwing with you phil.

Nasty wind maximum missed me by 5 miles. But still got some legit rainfall rates (10.3”/hr) and a few close strikes.

Recorded 1” of rain in 13 minutes.

Last two days have been spectacular. Low 80s with dewpoints in the 50s. Nicest weather since early June.

Heat indices were lower than the ambient temperatures for the first time since late Spring, I think?

Holy flash flooding. Soil must have been completely saturated, because within 1hr of the downpour starting, water was cascading down lawns and the street. Worst flash flood of Booze Creek since 2013 or 2014? Just a raging torrent..breached the new flood plain that crews are trying to re-establish after the 2013/14 floods annihilated their previous fix. Goldsboro Road was a raging torrent as well. Probably a dozen swift water rescues across the DMV.

Yet totals surprisingly low here, only 1.43” in my rain gauge (tho 3-4” fell just a few miles E/NE w/ another hotspot around College Park). Which is why I’m wondering if the soil moisture products were lowballing the amount of water present? Because we’ve had much heavier rain events in the recent past, with much less in the way of flooding. At least here?

Bizarre. Anyhow, currently 76/74 with some haze.

Took this photo of Booze Creek (the one behind our house) at ~ 130pm. Usually the creek is 5ft-10ft wide and runs at a trickle. Here it’s ~ 75ft wide after rising ~ 7-8ft.

Water was still rising rapidly when I took this, and it breached the lower section of the flood plain (where that wall of bedrock is) shortly thereafter.

YzrjwI0.jpg

Some truly amazing weather this week. Aided by thick smoke residing above the boundary layer, highs have dropped into the upper 60s/low 70s with lows dropping into the upper 40s both Tuesday and Wednesday AM.

Sally scrapes us to the SE tomorrow. Precip should be light and of the stratiform variety. Refreshing N/NE breeze should coincide.

Hopefully we’re done with summer weather for the year. Bring on fall.

Beautiful September weather! Deep blue skies and crisp mornings.

Dropped to 40°F this morning. Down into the mid/upper 40s again late this evening. Might reach the upper 30s tomorrow AM.

• 3 weeks later...

Simply an amazing start to autumn here. Coolest/driest in recent memory.

Beautiful days, crisp nights, pure bliss. Nothing like the warm, sticky, disgusting early/mid autumns that dominated the 2010s.

Stiff onshore wind and light/moderate rain for the last 24hrs or so. About an inch to this point, which is less than the 2-3” projected.

On 10/13/2020 at 3:16 AM, Meatyorologist said:

I can see why you post in our forum so much, Phil. It's like a brick wall in here.

Isn’t it though? 💤 

• Sad 1

Dropped to 36.9°F Sunday AM. Coldest low of the season so far.

Might have to wait another few weeks for the first freeze.

On 10/17/2020 at 2:03 PM, Mr Marine Layer said:

Most members are from PNW

Midwest has a lot of members too (like me).

>1" Snowfalls for Fargo-Hector Int'l Airport in 2020-21: 10/20 (4.2"), 10/22 (2.7"),

Total Snowfall for 2020-2021 @ KFAR: 7.5"            Coldest Low: 21*F (10/18)

First flake of the season: 10/15 @ 21:27 CDT

2 hours ago, FAR_Weather said:

Midwest has a lot of members too (like me).

Would be awesome if the regional weather threads were all on 1 page so we could access them w/ fewer clicks.

• Snow 1

It’s fog season. Was pea soup last night..0.1 mile vis at best with a fine mist/drizzle.

Should be a recurring theme every night/early AM this week.