January 2024 Observations and Discussion

Minny_Weather

Yesterday had the 1st major snowfall of the winter season. It was a very wet snowfall and Grand Rapids set a new record for the wettest January 9th with 0.94” with a reported snowfall of 4.1” Here in MBY this morning I have 3” of very wet snow on the ground. For today the average H/L is 31/19 the record high of 57 was set in 1975 and the record low of -19 was set in 1942. The record snowfall of 5.2” fell in 1999. The most on the ground of 17” was in 1999 and 1979. Last year the H/L was 39/30.

• Like 2

Ended up with 2.90" of rain here in East Nantmeal eclipsing the old mark of 1.66" set back in 1964. Still without power here in the township as I know many of you are in the same situation. Winds are still howling but at least sunshine has returned. The wind advisory is in place till 6pm this evening. Temps should stay pretty steady today. Unfortunately the dry weather will only last till Friday night when we see more rain (although a good deal less) arriving. Mild again on Friday but temps should start falling during the day Saturday with the potential for a little snow by Monday night into Tuesday.
Records for today: High 62 (1950) / Low -3 (1982) / Rain 1.06" (2016) / Snow 9.0" (1954)
image.png.3ce279eb7136fe475c60753300cb3c08.png
  • Like 1

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Question, I just saw an email from Gary Lezak comparing the NOV 24th storm to this past storm on Jan 7th...now, didn't someone on here say that he was suggesting a 51 day cycle?  I didn't believe so and thought it was shorter than that but it clearly shows below that its around 44 days.

5.jpeg

His email message below...

EDIT: Disregard what I mentioned in the bolded because I got my dates confused and the storm we are tracking for this Fri-SAT correlates with the pattern that I described below.

With that being said, there was a second storm that developed a couple days later and phased with a piece of energy that track all the way from the NW Territories of Canada (PV?) but phased much later near Ontario.  The MLK weekend snow event being advertised across OK/MO/S IL  and up the App's should be monitored.  @Black Hole @Clinton @OKwx2k4

He very busy today.  I can start a thread for that tonight unless you want to go ahead with it.

FEB 1996 Epic Cold wave that saw MN -60F /IA -47F/WI -55F set all time state low records (might be missing a few others in the Midwest)--- Des Moines was -26F.  IN fact it took 8396 days to get -20F again.  Jan 30th - 2019  (I slept outside to honor it -- yeah for real ) and I plan on doing it again if its close.

This cold wave has a chance.No photo description available.

sfct-imp.us_mw.png

No photo description available.

• Like 2
  • Shivering 2
  • Facepalm 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

28 minutes ago, Clinton said:

He very busy today.  I can start a thread for that tonight unless you want to go ahead with it.

Set it up bud!  I'm going to be busy also on the road doing errands...

• Like 1

Same here in DSM-

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Des Moines IA
1213 PM CST Wed Jan 10 2024

IAZ026>028-037>039-048>050-060>062-073>075-110300-
Franklin-Butler-Bremer-Hardin-Grundy-Black Hawk-Story-Marshall-
Tama-Polk-Jasper-Poweshiek-Warren-Marion-Mahaska-
Including the cities of Hampton, Parkersburg, Clarksville,
Shell Rock, Greene, Aplington, Allison, Dumont, Waverly,
Iowa Falls, Eldora, Ackley, Grundy Center, Reinbeck, Conrad,
Dike, Wellsburg, Waterloo, Cedar Falls, Ames, Marshalltown, Tama,
Toledo, Traer, Dysart, Gladbrook, Des Moines, Newton, Grinnell,
Indianola, Norwalk, Carlisle, Pella, Knoxville, and Oskaloosa
1213 PM CST Wed Jan 10 2024

...Area of Snow Arriving for Late This Afternoon and Evening...

Snow is expected to develop over parts of central Iowa later this
afternoon and move east northeast this evening. This system may
produce a brief period of one inch per hour rates with snowfall
amounts up to two inches possible. A narrow area with snow amounts
near 3 inches are possible over the far east. While the snowfall
amounts are light, the snowfall rates will lead to these amounts
to occur over a short period, leading to roadways to become
quickly snow covered once again and hazardous travel. Use caution
if traveling through this area later this afternoon and evening.

$$

RD
  • Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I see this put out a special weather statement

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Quad Cities IA IL
1148 AM CST Wed Jan 10 2024

IAZ040>042-051>054-102200-
Buchanan-Delaware-Dubuque-Benton-Linn-Jones-Jackson-
Including the cities of Independence, Manchester, Dubuque,
Vinton, Cedar Rapids, Anamosa, and Maquoketa
1148 AM CST Wed Jan 10 2024

...Accumulating snow this evening.

A fast moving storm system will spread snow across eastern Iowa
tonight between 6 PM and midnight. This will bring snow falling at
up to an inch per hour for 2 to 3 hours along and north of a line
from Vinton to Cedar Rapids to Clinton. This will lead to sudden
reductions in visibility below a mile at time and snowfall totals
of 2 to 3 inches across this area. Temperatures below freezing
will allow snow to accumulate and make travel on untreated roads
slippery this evening. Please use caution if traveling this
evening.

If this true- WSW maybe cancelled for parts of NEB for actual snowfall, but not - maybe- bcuz of the wind/blowing snow--- seems a shift East and N.snowfall

DMX-- not even a watch out or WWA with butting counties on a Warning/Watch.

Typical DMX.--- you think your CWA hates snow? DMX takes the cake and it's got nothing on timing. Just not proactive. Been this way for 25 years. Wait for others.....

image.png.f4a26e7579a92b8e23ac799789847c79.png

2 minutes ago, gabel23 said:

Grizz, your in the wrong thread buddy!

too D**n pumped-- my bad

• lol 1

3 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Just pounding snow here right now. Holy smokes. View off my back deck but doesn't even do it justice. 

IMG_20240110_151929.png

Man same here!! Not good timing either; just getting ready to release from school! 

IMG_3089.jpg

• Like 4

It's already snowing pretty good here, but there is what looks to be a very heavy pocket about to move over Cedar Rapids.  There is even a dot of orange on the radar.  It should really rip hard.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

This is the heaviest snow of the season.  Not large flakes, but extremely dense.  Even the house across the street is foggy.

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 8.42.40 PM.png

• Like 5
  • Snow 3

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

34 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

This is the heaviest snow of the season.  Not large flakes, but extremely dense.  Even the house across the street is foggy.

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 8.42.40 PM.png

I just drove right through all of that. Couldn’t see the road at all. Had no idea where the lanes were. Just had to basically guess. Got home and measured 1.8” most of which must have fallen in an hour to hour and a half at most. 

• Like 3

My total is 2.6".  It's too bad that super heavy snow was so brief.  For about five minutes, it may have been snowing at 5"/hr.

• Like 7

I was asleep - but wife and son (among others) heard thunder and saw lightning about 8:30 pm .  1.2" at KDSM-- probably closer to 2" on the far W side of Des Moines.

• Like 7