January 2024 Observations and Discussion

Minny_Weather

16 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Long way to go. Still another 7-8 days. I can only imagine the amount of shifts north and south this week. 

Yeah, the I-70 corridor hasn't seen anything like that in decades so not expecting that to verify. Yet showing on the Euro under 10 days is something to watch.

However, the KS/MO folks should all break out the cigars if that somehow happened...lol 😄

• Like 2
  • bongocat-test 2

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Very nice run.  Man, just wish it was a day or two away!

The consistency in the EPS/EURO Op has really gone from just a Possible storm to a more Probable system...for that matter, a more impactful storm for the Midwesterners!

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

12z Euro farther east...

1.png

Decent lake enhanced signal on the western shore of Lake Michigan.  This is where the inferno December could pay off by giving a little extra boost from the lake compared to usual.  But it's still way too far out to get into those details.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Decent lake enhanced signal on the western shore of Lake Michigan.  This is where the inferno December could pay off by giving a little extra boost from the lake compared to usual.  But it's still way too far out to get into those details.

Oh ya, no doubt....this storm is giving me goosebumps from past years tracking Beasts like these...I may want to fly back home!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

My goodness, the consistency…this board won’t be a snooze fest that’s for sure!

I would like to see a little more cold air with that first system and get our Oklahoma friends some snow, it's not to far away.  The 2nd storm is going to be huge!

• Like 2

Still tons of time for shifts both north and south. Exact track won't be decided for a while. One important point remains and I'd say is as much of a slam dunk as you could have at this range: there will be a large storm and some folks will get crushed with 10-12+ inches. Lots of fun model riding ahead! 

• Like 4

Just now, hawkstwelve said:

Still tons of time for shifts both north and south. Exact track won't be decided for a while. One important point remains and I'd say is as much of a slam dunk as you could have at this range: there will be a large storm and some folks will get crushed with 10-12+ inches. Lots of fun model riding ahead! 

Is it more like it will go more south than north on the trends?

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

Talk a big spread with the MJO, some models take it well into the warm phases and other right into the null.

The GEFS couldn't be uglier.

GMON.png

The Euro not so bad.

EMON.png

JMA

JMAN.png

EPO looks to join the AO, NAO and WPO and go back negative.  Very conflicting for the 2nd half of the month.

1704024000-lSgb8KfnxXAgrb2.png

• Like 1
  • bongocat-test 1

21 minutes ago, Clinton said:

I would like to see a little more cold air with that first system and get our Oklahoma friends some snow, it's not to far away.  The 2nd storm is going to be huge!

Clinton, if this happens it’ll be the best storm since Feb or March 2021. Jan-Mar 2021 was very nice. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Talk a big spread with the MJO, some models take it well into the warm phases and other right into the null.

The GEFS couldn't be uglier.

GMON.png

The Euro not so bad.

EMON.png

JMA

JMAN.png

EPO looks to join the AO, NAO and WPO and go back negative.  Very conflicting for the 2nd half of the month.

1704024000-lSgb8KfnxXAgrb2.png

It seems to me like the models have been underestimating the strength of the MJO, so color me skeptical of a long lasting trip to the COD.  Guess we'll see.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It seems to me like the models have been underestimating the strength of the MJO, so color me skeptical of a long lasting trip to the COD.  Guess we'll see.

The Euro is loosing support with a trip into the null phase.  The CFS doubles back to phase 2 then goes warm.

NCFS.png

Interesting snippet from Wichita, KS afternoon (12/31) AFD:

"A look ahead into late next weekend and early next week (7-9 days out)...Deterministic and ensemble consensus supports an anomalously deep/strong western CONUS trough ejecting onto Mid- America. Based on model trends the past few days, this could possibly materialize into a strong storm system somewhere across the region, along with much colder temperatures surging south. This is still a long ways out from a forecasting standpoint, so uncertainty still remains high. Stay tuned, as forecast details are refined the next several days."

• Like 3

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

NWS Hastings afternoon disco:  

A more significant winter storm system will potentially move through the area late Sunday through Monday. Given that we are 8 days out, specifics are still quite uncertain. But the potential for winter impacts appear to be increasing. The latest EPS ensemble shows a 10 to 30% chance for over 6 inches of snowfall portions of the forecast area, possibly with very strong winds as well. A lot could still change, but this is certainly a time period worth watching.

• Like 3