January 11-13 Major Winter Storm/Blizzard

Last storm the ICON never wavered starting about this range. Monday 12Z runs- it was the  only (EURO also) that didn't go South in Iowa.  It turned out to be the most accurate. Doesn't mean a thing this time around though.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

13 minutes ago, ATW said:

I think we need to bank on a different storm! The trend has been to go north. The last storm kept trending north then came back a little south right before it hit….at least in Missouri. 

Yeah I haven't had a good feeling about this storm for central Missouri for a couple days now. Maybe I'll get proved wrong but I don't know. I'm more interested in the Monday system. Most models are putting a WIDE area of snow down on Monday and ratios look to be 20:1 or better.

• Like 1

😆 Well, well, lookee who’s finally getting some winter weather!  
Put the chili on! 
High of 64 today. Sunny

DF75D749-BA85-4ECF-98D0-940404DC54CE.jpeg

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

To eliminate today/ tonights system-- 24 HR snowfall mainly for IOWA- ( still -SN E.IA)snku_024h-imp.us_mw.png

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

26 minutes ago, KTPmidMO said:

Yeah I haven't had a good feeling about this storm for central Missouri for a couple days now. Maybe I'll get proved wrong but I don't know. I'm more interested in the Monday system. Most models are putting a WIDE area of snow down on Monday and ratios look to be 20:1 or better.

Yeah, I've pretty much written this next one off. The Topeka/I-70 snow dome is taking control again.

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

Longtime lurker, rarely post. What time is this thing going to ramp up across Iowa on Thursday? College kid is inexperienced winter driver and needs to go about 4 hours from far NW corner of the state to NE corner of the state (UNI, for those familiar) via US Highway 20. Help me with what time she needs to leave (in the morning) to beat it. 

Appreciate you all. Especially a fan of @hawkstwelve, I am located pretty close to you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BojiMom said:

Longtime lurker, rarely post. What time is this thing going to ramp up across Iowa on Thursday? College kid is inexperienced winter driver and needs to go about 4 hours from far NW corner of the state to NE corner of the state (UNI, for those familiar) via US Highway 20. Help me with what time she needs to leave (in the morning) to beat it. 

Appreciate you all. Especially a fan of @hawkstwelve, I am located pretty close to you.

We got someone from Okoboji, nice! Welcome. :) 

It really depends on what model you believe is right.

Here's how the NAM views things. I'm choosing to show you this one because it's among the worst case scenarios (for traveling, not for snow lovers) for N Iowa. This loop starts at 9AM Thursday and goes through Midnight Friday. Between Noon Thursday and Midnight Friday, it puts down 1-3 inches across N Iowa. The vast majority of heavier accumulations fall on Friday.

Again, this is assuming the NAM is right which who knows at this point. As evident by the final GIF which compares the RDPS, NAM, GFS, and GEM things are still very much in flux for being so close to the start of the event. In general though I'd say the earlier the better, just in case the snowier solutions pan out. 

floop-nam4km-2024011012.ref1km_ptype.us_nc.gif

NAM12zhour.png

models-2024011012-f042.snku_012h-imp.us_nc.gif

• Like 1

I am very nervous about this one bleeding north or just having warm air be an issue for my area.  Will be happy to have any snow in advance of the much colder pattern, but have had high hopes for this one here and it will sting a lot more than the last storm if it underperforms.

On a meteorological note, it is wildly impressive to see two 980 mb or lower storms take such a similar track only a few days apart.  

• Like 2

Canadian and GFS both very favorable for Iowa.  The NAM and CAMs are further north.  Typically not their best time frames for accuracy.  The NAM sort of did good with the last storm showing further north earlier than most, but it was too far north as it had the SLP at one point going through Dubuque, IA.  It ended up actually tracking through St. Louis, but it was on the right path with a further north snow shield that other models were not initially showing.  

snku_024h-imp.us_mw.png

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I am very nervous about this one bleeding north or just having warm air be an issue for my area.  Will be happy to have any snow in advance of the much colder pattern, but have had high hopes for this one here and it will sting a lot more than the last storm if it underperforms.

On a meteorological note, it is wildly impressive to see two 980 mb or lower storms take such a similar track only a few days apart.  

Yep the current trend is a little worrisome. So fascinating how all the stars have to align perfectly for a generational type snow storm for our area.. 

Just now, indianajohn said:

Yep the current trend is a little worrisome. So fascinating how all the stars have to align perfectly for a generational type snow storm for our area.. 

That's why it takes a generation.😀

• Like 1
  • lol 2

1 hour ago, mlgamer said:

Yeah, I've pretty much written this next one off. The Topeka/I-70 snow dome is taking control again.

We are building a nice snow glacier in up here in Nebraska and Iowa... once that's in place I can see the storm track shifting south for you guys down in Kansas (hopefully). 

Finally our "snow dome" appears to be cracking a bit. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Blitz Warning's up in the PNW is just a precursor of what you guys out East should endure...

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 6.10.47 AM.png

AccuWx just said for most of the Cascades it's the first Blizzard Warning in more than a decade. Spot on Tom

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Euro paints a Blizzard over C.IA--- sustained winds at 30-35 mph sure Gust over 45. Even 2-4" on top of current snow pack and the ditches full off main roads is not pretty.

sfcwind_mslp.us_mw.png

• Like 3
  • Windy 1

2 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

Euro weaker this run in Iowa.  QPF overall is lower in the state.  Snow totals lower for most areas through 63 hours vs. 00z. 

snku_acc-imp.us_mw.png

Not in C.IA to South Central, IA-- in increased from 00Z

The front end of the event appears it will be a wetter snow unless temps cool a couple degrees as we get closer to the main show.  Needless to say, it should be a snow day for most of N IL and NW IN.  @Hoosier @indianajohn you guys are still in the crosshairs.  Might be a big frontend thump, then briefly switchover to RN as the low passes on by, then the backside defo band.