January 11-13 Major Winter Storm/Blizzard

3 minutes ago, metallica470 said:

Agree. I would be happy with anything more than a few inches. Didn't even use my snow brush last season which has carried into this season as well.  We may get some in the morning before the rain melts it away.

I'm hoping the melt is kept to a minimum.  Going to be a letdown if we have to start all over in the afternoon.

• Sad 1

Forgot to mention a wind chill warning was also issued for wind chills reaching 45 below zero. That is insane! It runs from 6pm tomorrow all the way through noon Tuesday. So not only do we have bitter extreme cold but we have it for at least four days. Most models show a brief warmup next Wednesday for about 6-12 hours but then drop us right back into the below-zero freezer. 

In sum: Winter is here, folks.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Shivering 3

Today, the Euro has shown a significant trend toward increasing snow across eastern Iowa.  The 06z run had a dry hole over us.  12z filled the hole.  18z is even wetter.  As with a few other models, there is a trend toward extending the low farther west and blowing up heavier precip over east-central/southeast Iowa.

• Excited 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Just now, Hawkeye said:

Today, the Euro has shown a significant trend toward increasing snow across eastern Iowa.  The 06z run had a dry hole over us.  12z filled the hole.  18z is even wetter.  As with a few other models, there is a trend toward extending the low farther west and blowing up heavier precip over east-central/southeast Iowa.

Is the king playing catch up?

Lows in DFW area 20 Saturday,  12 with Wintry mix Sunday, 11 with wintry mix Monday.  
Wind chills should be brutal.

That’s a nice way of saying ice.  
They don’t want to scare all the Californians that just moved here.  
(Wonder how many will leave for Az?)

• lol 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

1 minute ago, Pros3lyte said:

I’m amazed at DTX’s ability to hold out for as long as they do. The storm arrives tomorrow and we’re still sitting with watches out.. they’re gonna have to make a move pretty quickly here

GRR jumped the gun.  This is moving north.  Probably will be like last storm.   Detroit gonna get skunked.  

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, indianajohn said:

So GFS is outlier or the big winner for our area??? where you putting your money on ? Euro Or GFS.?. Gonna be interesting where the low passes roughly a 190 mile difference between the 2 models!

The latest HRRR also has the low pressure down by Indianapolis. 

Good news is this storm looks like it'll fill in the gaping snowless hole in SE MN, including in the cities. That'll leave the southern Red River Valley as the only place in the state under 1".

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

The trend had been great for my area, but the the 00 NAMs went the other way... 🤦‍♂️.  The 3k NAM has really dried out for the Omaha to northern Iowa corridor.

trend-nam4km-2024011112-f048.snku_acc-imp.us_mw.gif.2b93c2d5d3b051b0c375818c8ce4de57.gif

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Another trend is for tonight's surge of good snow to mostly veer east of my area, with northern Illinois getting the heavy stuff.  I may only get an inch or two through morning.

1 minute ago, Clinton said:

Interesting trend on tonights Hi-Res models, some are showing a couple inches of snow down my way and along the I-70 corridor.  It's not much but better than none.

those all have fremont in a dry bubble lol

• Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Pjjanthony said:

Someone turned the Omadome on, but I have inside information that it is going to be turned off later tonight. Expect around 7-8 inches.

Chicagodome too! It’s the same thing here, riding the edge. I’m not confident we’ll get a lot yet. Sounds like a rich get richer setup imo, but I’m happy to be proven wrong! 

• Like 1