January Weather In The PNW 2024 (Part III) - The Warming Shot

iFred

This reminds me of growing up and hearing the weather radio say quick snow to rain transition and then waking up to see a winter wonderland.  Or snow in the north interior only and rain south of Seattle and it ended up as snow in Seattle.  Models are 10 times better now but this same crap happened to the weather guys back then.

I remember the AVN model lol. 

• Like 8

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

This reminds me of growing up and hearing the weather radio say quick snow to rain transition and then waking up to see a winter wonderland.  Or snow in the north interior only and rain south of Seattle and it ended up as snow in Seattle.  Models are 10 times better now but this same crap happened to the weather guys back then.

I remember the AVN model lol. 

I remember the AVN!  

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Good point... its only 30 hours away now and it might be less stressful to watch observations and eventually radar and just enjoy it.     There won't be any model consensus anyways.  

Such odd model differences. Euro same low position as gfs but stronger and no snow, RGEm stronger low south and lots of snow.

• Shivering 1

Just now, Slushy Inch said:

Such odd model differences. Euro same low position as gfs but stronger and no snow, RGEm stronger low south and lots of snow.

Strong and south is what would be needed for Seattle.  

• Like 4
  • Shivering 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I think that is the nam now

And the MRF which became the GFS correct? 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just noticed that the satellite shows the snow on the ground down south today... it was easier to see earlier before some high clouds moved it.  

COD-GOES-West-subregional-Pac_NW.02.20240115.190618-over=map-bars=none.gif

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I remember the AVN!  

How about the NGM?  That model had no consideration for terrain at all.  It was kind of cool to see what would happen in that case.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Looks like Bellingham stayed below freezing, I hit 34 and back down to 32 with a 16 dewpoint. 

Same here.  Up to 34 and already dropping.  Amazing how this cold is hanging on so long after the blast.

NW OR is really interesting.  PDX is actually lightly north of the coldest tongue.  Some places just south of there are stuck in the upper teens to low 20s.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

And Eugene looks like a mess.  

ORE58 WB MP0.86_pid4614.jpg

ORE58 EB MP0.86_pid4616.jpg

I-5@Goshen_pid1504.jpg

Yup.  A hard freeze after a big ZR event.  Bad stuff.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Jim how is the graph cast looking?

About like the others now.  It's still razor close though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I-5@Goshen_pid1504.jpg

Looks amazing!!! 

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, SnowWillarrive said:

I wish Puget Sound looked like that 

That is ice though.  Not fun.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, SnowWillarrive said:

I wish Puget Sound looked like that 

I don't think the extensive tree damage and extended power outages would be very fun.  Except for maybe Randy.  😀

• Excited 1
  • lol 2

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Just noticed that the satellite shows the snow on the ground down south today... it was easier to see earlier before some high clouds moved it.  

COD-GOES-West-subregional-Pac_NW.02.20240115.190618-over=map-bars=none.gif

Can see the little snow at my place

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

36 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Jan 27th

8FB531EF-0BBF-4C9A-8EA4-3ABC553A6C4B.png

MJO 7.

• Like 7

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I-5@Goshen_pid1504.jpg

I've been waiting for a decent news article to come out, but there was a traffic jam yesterday that was up to FIFTEEN hours long with temps in the 20's on I-5 northbound. A bunch of big rigs wrecked, flipped, jackknifed, took out power poles, etc. A backup of 25 miles. EV cars running out of battery, people freezing, just an unbelievable situation. It was around the Cottage Grove area. I'll post an article when I find one. ODOT was completely inept and did not close the freeway so thousands of people got on the freeway not knowing what was ahead of them. No way to get out. Just a total nightmare.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Sick 2

2 minutes ago, Dave said:

I've been waiting for a decent news article to come out, but there was a traffic jam yesterday that was up to FIFTEEN hours long with temps in the 20's on I-5 northbound. A bunch of big rigs wrecked, flipped, jackknifed, took out power poles, etc. A backup of 25 miles. EV cars running out of battery, people freezing, just an unbelievable situation. It was around the Cottage Grove area. I'll post an article when I find one. ODOT was completely inept and did not close the freeway so thousands of people got on the freeway not knowing what was ahead of them. No way to get out. Just a total nightmare.

These ev cars just aren't there yet with the technology,  sure they work but this is a great example of why battery technology has a ways to go.

• Like 4

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, Dave said:

I've been waiting for a decent news article to come out, but there was a traffic jam yesterday that was up to FIFTEEN hours long with temps in the 20's. A bunch of big rigs wrecked, flipped, jackknifed, took out power poles, etc. A backup of 25 miles. EV cars running out of battery, people freezing, just an unbelievable situation. It was around the Cottage Grove area. I'll post an article when I find one. ODOT was completely inept and did not close the freeway so thousands of people got on the freeway not knowing what was ahead of them. No way to get out. Just a total nightmare.

No big deal on the EV's just plug them in and charge them up right?

I'm a petrol head, so I'm not a fan of any sort of electrical vehicle, but I can at least acknowledge practicality of a hybrid.  Hybrid runs out of gas, once you have the gas can, dump the gas in and your are off to the races again.  EV, gotta plug it in and wait......and wait.......and wait.......

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

These ev cars just aren't there yet with the technology,  sure they work but this is a great example of why battery technology has a ways to go.

The distance you can go on a charge has become pretty good but not in a situation like this 

• Like 1