January Weather In The PNW 2024 (Part III) - The Warming Shot

iFred

2 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Agreed. I root for as much mountain snow as possible until mid March, then it's time for spring. 

Mid march to mid April can be a huge cascade snow time.  If this crap we have now continues we just might get that snowy spring. 

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

19 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I think we might get a real taste of spring after the upcoming cooler period.  EPS looks ridgy by Valentines Day and we are well past the winter inversion season by then.    That might set the stage for another chance by early March though.  

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-7912000.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-7912000.png

Oh wow i though this was a valid map, this is 360hrs lol i thought it was 160. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Oh wow i though this was a valid map, this is 360hrs lol i thought it was 160. 

Oh... its valid.   That is a very strong signal for a 50 member mean at that range and every run looks the same.  And all the ensembles look the same.   As Phil said earlier... its one way road with no forks this time. 

• lol 2
  • Sun 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

I'm worried this sets the stage for a miserable cool and cloudy April/May. I am going to get real annoying if that's true. After mid March I am ready for garden season. 

Sounds like you moved to the wrong climate. But that was already pretty clear by last summer.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Sounds like you moved to the wrong climate. But that was already pretty clear by last summer.

Because every April/May is cool and cloudy 🙄

• Weenie 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Oh... its valid.   That is a very strong signal for a 50 member mean at that range and every run looks the same.  And all the ensembles look the same.   As Phil said earlier... its one way road with no forks this time. 

Why is a warm map valid at 360 but when we post a cold map at 360 it isn't. No map at 360 is accurate.  It is possible to get a idea of a pattern at this range but even that can be off thousands of miles. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Why is a warm map valid at 360 but when we post a cold map at 360 it isn't. No map at 360 is accurate.  It is possible to get a idea of a pattern at this range but even that can be off thousands of miles. 

I think Tim was trolling you and not being serious.

• Confused 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Nah... this is pretty straightforward this time.   Huge AL pattern developing.   Tropical forcing and all that other mumbo jumbo.    It's definitely coming.     Sometimes the pattern in the long range hinges on minor details earlier.  Not this time.

• lol 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Because every April/May is cool and cloudy 🙄

Cool and cloudy (at least by transplant standards) is pretty typical for those months. Even more so at 1,000’ in the Olympic Mountains, I’d imagine.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I think Tim was trolling you and not being serious.

No... the ensembles can't be any more in agreement or consistent. 

Here is the GEFS for comparison. 

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-7868800.png

• lol 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Nah... this is pretty straightforward this time.   Huge AL pattern developing.   Tropical forcing and all that other mumbo jumbo.    It's definitely coming.     Sometimes the pattern in the long range hinges on minor details earlier.  Not this time.

I think we can officially rule out a Feb 2019 redux.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • scream 2

A forum for the end of the world.

I would be shocked if I don’t get at least another 3” of snow before April. 

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

14 hours ago, Phil said:

Best El Niño coupling of the winter starts in a couple of weeks.

Monstrous Aleutian Low is present across guidance as we move through week-2.

IMG_0067.pngIMG_0069.pngIMG_0070.png

8 hours ago, Phil said:

Yeah because it’s a regime of constructive interference (MJO reinforcing niño base state w/ in-situ high AAM/extended jet) and strong PV.

So there is nothing to disrupt the establishment of a canonical niño type pattern across the NH.

Metaphorically speaking, instead of a winding country road with multiple forks/turnoffs (like January), instead we have a highway as straight as an arrow. Only one place we can go.

Bumping Phil's analysis from earlier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

I would be shocked if I don’t get at least another 3” of snow before April. 

I would bet on it for your backyard during March.    

• Excited 1

Hopefully next winter will be the complete opposite PNA wise than this positive vomitfest. 
My dog is dreaming of snow goodness! 

IMG_2423.jpeg

IMG_2424.jpeg

IMG_2421.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

34 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

I'm worried this sets the stage for a miserable cool and cloudy April/May. I am going to get real annoying if that's true. After mid March I am ready for garden season. 

Hard to say.   One of the hallmarks of Nino around here is an early and warmer than normal spring.   You wouldn't have believed the spring of 2016.    To say it was the polar opposite of 2022 is an understatement.   Trees were all leafed out here in March and April looked like a summer month.    Of course 2016 and 2022 are at opposites ends of the possible spectrum here for spring weather.    Something in the middle is always much more likely.

11 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Also three straight 60+ days here. I'd imagine that doesn't happen both place often in January.

SEA’s departure to date is now -2.3 (excluding today’s data). During this warmth period, we’re seeing +0.5 to +0.6 to the negative departure. At this rate, the month will end up between -1.0 to -1.5. Which is still below normal, but what is normal anymore? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Another early spring was 2015... this pic was taken in North Bend on Valentines Day that year.

10872859_768939299840947_8359418284627005941_o (2).jpg

That’s great and all…Bur what I wouldn’t give for a 2021 repeat! 

IMG_2425.jpeg

IMG_2426.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Angry 1

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

That’s great and all…Bur what I wouldn’t give for a 2021 repeat! 

IMG_2425.jpeg

IMG_2426.jpeg

2017 was the start of the February craziness!

• Like 2
  • Snow 1
  • bongocat-test 1

25 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Sprinkler and all!

Actually only on the garden at that time.  The young plants coming up need to stay damp at that stage.  Usually not an issue in April or May.    After about mid-June the garden is so big that it shades itself and you rarely have to water even when it doesn't rain for a couple weeks.

Just so no one is surprised... the ECMWF shows another nighttime temp spike late tonight ahead of incoming front offshore.   Outside chance SEA secures a 4th 60+ day before sunrise tomorrow. 

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f-1706637600-1706637600-1706702400-20.gif

• Excited 1

Just another typical 60/53 degree January day! 
could go higher, temp has popped back up to 59 currently. 

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 1
  • Sick 1

2 hours ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Mid march to mid April can be a huge cascade snow time.  If this crap we have now continues we just might get that snowy spring. 

True. If February and half of January end up being a complete dud for mountain snow, I wouldn't mind March and April dumping snow in the cascades. As long as that means it won't be cloudy in Texas for the solar eclipse this April. 

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

Down to 38 now, our high temp was 59.9 so we unfortunately BARELY managed to dodge 3 days in a row reaching 60.

Edited by Sunriver Snow Zone
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Shivering 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

8 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

A nice long moist chilly spring would be amazing!!

That's what she said.  😁

• Windy 1