March 2024 Weather in the PNW

Looks like southern Snohomish County is getting the good winds! Quite windy but nothing crazy here yet. 
Was out at Big Lake earlier and it was blowing pretty good there! 

IMG_3515.jpeg

IMG_3508.jpeg

IMG_3509.jpeg

IMG_3510.jpeg

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 hours ago, T-Town said:

A man of your means and sophistication should not have to take that blade off and on. Get a second mower dedicated to mowing. 

That will probably be my next big purchase, though I would prefer to have my tractor paid off before buying a new mower so it won’t be this season. But when I do I will keep my old mower for strictly plowing! 

• Like 1
  • lol 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Anyone see my video?

Looks like a couple of small branches fell of some of the trees in that video.

• Excited 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

5 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

@TT-SEA getting some bolts??

IMG_6820.jpeg

• Like 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

Surprisingly windy and active day out there. Strong south winds along with rain squalls. Even had a brief rainbow and some hail earlier. Looks like PDX had a SW wind gust close to 50mph earlier.

54/44 on the day so far. Definitely some southwest wind gusts in the 45mph + range here.

• Windy 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Just now, RentonHill said:

Nothing on your side of the ridge probably blocks the sound pretty well. 

No idea.   Usually strikes that close produce loud thunder here.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

20 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Truly was a very fun weather event. One of my best weather videos for the collection.

Awesome video! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iFred said:

Chaos

IMG_0546.jpeg

IMG_0547.jpeg

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

Why the repetition?

• Weenie 1

35 minutes ago, MossMan said:

That will probably be my next big purchase, though I would prefer to have my tractor paid off before buying a new mower so it won’t be this season. But when I do I will keep my old mower for strictly plowing! 

I knew it!!

• Excited 1

1 hour ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Lots of rain could also be a blessing. 

Yeah I wouldn’t mind seeing a brief wet period after some warm weather. However it’s bad timing because it’s Spring Break for @RaleighHillsRunnerand other people March 25-29. If it could hold off until after the spring break then it would be even better.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

35 minutes ago, iFred said:

Chaos

IMG_0546.jpeg

IMG_0547.jpeg

Not sure what this means, but it sounds fun!! 

18 minutes ago, T-Town said:

I knew it!!

Bought my current mower brand new 13 years ago, the same mower (equivalent anyway) has nearly doubled in price…Like everything else unfortunately. 

IMG_3517.jpeg

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Front blade for tractor??

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Interesting.

This is according to weatherspark for SEA and PDX. So sort of makes sense. West of the Cascades we are a warm-summer Mediterranean climate after all.

“Paris, France (5,011 miles away) is the far-away foreign place with temperatures most similar to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport”

https://weatherspark.com/y/145236/Average-Weather-at-Seattle-Tacoma-International-Airport-Washington-United-States-Year-Round

“Vilela, Portugal (5,230 miles away) and Chalais, France(5,257 miles) are the far-away foreign places with temperatures most similar to Portland International Airport.”

https://weatherspark.com/y/145223/Average-Weather-at-Portland-International-Airport-Oregon-United-States-Year-Round

• Like 2
  • Troll 1

1 hour ago, RentonHill said:

Nothing on your side of the ridge probably blocks the sound pretty well. Assuming the map @Cold Snap posted is perfectly accurate

I'm not sure.  That map showed some strikes pretty close to here as well.  Didn't hear anything, but it got very nasty for about 15 minutes or so.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

44 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

This is according to weatherspark for SEA and PDX. So sort of makes sense. West of the Cascades we are a warm-summer Mediterranean climate after all.

“Paris, France (5,011 miles away) is the far-away foreign place with temperatures most similar to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport”

https://weatherspark.com/y/145236/Average-Weather-at-Seattle-Tacoma-International-Airport-Washington-United-States-Year-Round

“Vilela, Portugal (5,230 miles away) and Chalais, France(5,257 miles) are the far-away foreign places with temperatures most similar to Portland International Airport.”

https://weatherspark.com/y/145223/Average-Weather-at-Portland-International-Airport-Oregon-United-States-Year-Round

It actually shows the Portugal match way south of PDX.  Up here I'm almost on the border of UK / France.

Edit:  Vilela Portugal is at 2,200 feet so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Interesting.

A big problem with the China match in the SE is some parts of China have brutally cold winters.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

29 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Front blade for tractor??

I contemplated that, but that is a couple grand right there and I will still need a new mower in the next couple of years, so the $$$ are a lot at that point! Plus I do like the smaller blade on the mower as it’s easy to feather/float it over the gravel rather than pushing it with the snow. Would be more cumbersome with a front blade on the tractor. I did buy skids for the tractor bucket just incase we had a January 1950 redux and needed to push feet of snow at a time! 😀

• Like 1

Going to Vietnam next month for 1 month. Their monsoon season wrapped up couple months ago and peak heat is ramping up.  No more rain and averaging triple digits with 95%+ humidity. Need to mentally prepare for this one. 😭

• Like 5
  • scream 1
  • Shivering 2

1 hour ago, snow_wizard said:

It actually shows the Portugal match way south of PDX.  Up here I'm almost on the border of UK / France.

Edit:  Vilela Portugal is at 2,200 feet so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

It’s hard to find an exact match with another Mediterranean city of the same elevation. If you factor in elevation I think it’s the best similarity they could find. But it does show we live in a slightly colder climate than them since SEA and PDX are close to sea level and they need elevation to match us.

• Weenie 1

28 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

It’s hard to find an exact match with another Mediterranean city of the same elevation. If you factor in elevation I think it’s the best similarity they could find. But it does show we live in a slightly colder climate than them since SEA and PDX are close to sea level and they need elevation to match us.

I’ve always dreamed of seeing the mossy Douglas fir forests of Portugal.

• Confused 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

35 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’ve always dreamed of seeing the mossy Douglas fir forests of Portugal.

I’m most likely graduating early so I might spend next spring traveling. Portugal is one of my top choices currently. Maybe I’ll get to report back to you!

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1