December 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Hard to believe that Montreal, CA on Christmas Day will be in the mid to upper 50s w rain, just unreal!

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

5 minutes ago, james1976 said:

Nice bullseye right over me

I got one of those too but in my case I'm afraid I'm going to have a significant amount of freezing rain and sleet I feel like I've seen this kind of setup before were the cold air gets trapped in but it's not deep enough to keep precipitation type of snow time will tell still lots of days to go.

8 minutes ago, Clinton said:

I got one of those too but in my case I'm afraid I'm going to have a significant amount of freezing rain and sleet I feel like I've seen this kind of setup before were the cold air gets trapped in but it's not deep enough to keep precipitation type of snow time will tell still lots of days to go.

Exactly bud. Many, many more models run to go, but If I were to guess, unless we get a GB going, this (for my area at least) looks to be a rainer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, gabel23 said:

Euro with a record breaker for us if this came to fruition. 

sn10_acc.us_c.png

sn10_acc.us_mw.png

Worth noting that the Euro will be upgraded in May 2021, and this upgraded version is running parallel to the operational. Parallel ECMWF attached, more or less in line with the operational one

Edit: note 10:1 ratios on this chart

pecmwf_acc_snow_mw_240.png

• Like 6
  • scream 2

4 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Looks like it splits it into 2 pieces, looks funny to me.  Unless another model comes out with a similar solution I would scroll past this run.

Unrelated but the ICON also has a low on Christmas morning here of -5, a solid twelve degrees colder than the NWS model blend and even more extreme relative to the GFS & ECMWF. Anyone have any performance stats from the ICON by chance?

2 minutes ago, The Snowman said:

Unrelated but the ICON also has a low on Christmas morning here of -5, a solid twelve degrees colder than the NWS model blend and even more extreme relative to the GFS & ECMWF. Anyone have any performance stats from the ICON by chance?

Hasn't been good this year outside of 72hrs.  Has been know to sniff out a trend in the past.

3 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Hasn't been good this year outside of 72hrs.  Has been know to sniff out a trend in the past.

2 minutes ago, clintbeed1993 said:

It's REALLY bad

Found statistics from the CMC and ... yeah, not ideal.

24-hour RMSE isn't too bad relative to other models but 120-hour RMSE puts the ICON at accuracy levels of the JMA(!!)

• Like 2

Just now, The Snowman said:

Found statistics from the CMC and ... yeah, not ideal.

24-hour RMSE isn't too bad relative to other models but 120-hour RMSE puts the ICON at accuracy levels of the JMA(!!)

Last bit on this; a better view of RMSE for the month of November 2020 over forecast hours is attached, also from the CMC ... ICON definitely not ideal in timeframes beyond a day or two. Fascinating how the JMA apparently had slightly better verification in November than the ECMWF(!) from the 180hr - 216hr window.

202011_eg_rmse_GZ500_NA.png

• Like 2

Perhaps not in the best taste to analyze model runs before they fully come out, but in any event I'm noticing the 0z GFS is a bit weaker & more detached with a piece of energy stringing on the tail end of our main system at the 120hr mark.

In the 18z run (attached) note that minor vorticity maxima in the Pacific Northwest; this eventually follows the main energy south and east and - at least in the 18z run - seemed to keep the trough a little more positively tilted. Wonder if more separation between the main trough & this secondary vorticity max could let the system dig a little more. Thinking out loud. 

gfs18z 500mb vort.png

• Like 2

Attm, getting some light spotty showers and its breezy as well. Turning colder tanite w snowshowers by morning.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clinton said:

12z GFS mean.  Still a lot of spread among members.

1609470000-RDJ1SYrlPa0.png

1609405200-OkMBnP6zoTo.png

#31 hammers your area amigo. It really destroys you. Hope that verifies for ya. 😲

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Thanks, I wish there was some artic air near by.  My gut says this guy goes north.

I agree w you 100%. We need that GB to strengthened. We still have a few days to track this, but I could see this taking different paths. Tbh, my area is looking risky as well. Could go from snow (getting some accumulations ) to a cold, hvy rain or ice mix.

- I remember past Winters when there was deep arctic air in place and at the same time a snowstorm was brewing. Then, a couple days later, after a few days of sunny weather and frigid temps, another snowstorm followed. Now, that is what Winter should be like.

- Gotta admit, best part is seeing the clouds develop ahead of a major snowstorm, especially, when they lower and thicken, along w frigid temps.

• Like 1