December 2014 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Certainly!  Block, arctic outflow, southern stream energy undercutting...  could be fun. Since this is high res and upper pattern is in the sweet spot, could be fun.

Isn't it interesting though that the fun is always at 240?  Life at 240 would be sweet!

Indeed!

You have to love how far west and south the PV center is at day 10. Pretty hard for the PNW to not get nailed if that verifies.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Don't know. I did not look at how the various models handled things over Asia or the West Pacific (low development, etc.) A single model bias won't explain all of the variance. Like, ENSO explains 60 percent of the variance in the Northern Hemisphere winter circulation. That leaves 40 percent to other factors (explains Jan 1969).

When you reference ENSO's effect(s), are you talking on a seasonal-scale resolution, or are you speaking of tropical forcing in general? I've read some studies that attribute 30-40% of the variation in seasonal seasonal circulations to solar activity and QBO progression, with these factors increasing in importance with weak/neutral ENSO.

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

When you reference ENSO's effect(s), are you talking on a seasonal-scale resolution, or are you speaking of tropical forcing in general? I've read some studies that attribute 30-40% of the variation in seasonal seasonal circulations to solar activity and QBO progression, with these factors increasing in importance with weak/neutral ENSO.

By broad statement may be 10 yrs or so old - and yes, seasonal. But that wasn't my point (I may not have used a good analogy).  I was trying to say that simple biases can explain a good deal of the variance, but not everything is known.  Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1

00z ECMWF has begun..... I hope it's decent, but I fear this won't be good at all due to crummy Ensemble support....

Oh, and 00z GEM HR 180 500mb holds some promise. Main body of block is further south and not yet cut-off

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gem/2014122100/gem_z500_vort_namer_31.png

00z ECMWF has begun..... I hope it's decent, but I fear this won't be good at all due to crummy Ensemble support....

Oh, and 00z GEM HR 180 500mb holds some promise. Main body of block is further south and not yet cut-off

Very nice!

The parallel GFS and GEM both have the ridge axis further west than the GFS. Also...the Euro ensemble has been shockingly erratic lately.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

00z GEM bit cold after day 8-9

Let's hope we can build on this. That makes two good looking models so far tonight.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

if know one understands what you post. why post

Don't expect everyone to dumb everything down for you  Most people on here are self taught.  Not all, but many.  Start looking things up.  Start doing some digging and teach yourself.   Ask some  intelligent questions instead of expecting.   But being a smartass towards others that are good contributors on this board, really makes yourself look entitled and lazy. 

• Like 3

The GEM is absolutely gorgeous tonight. Pretty hard to ignore an extremely cold 12z GFS and an extremely cold 0z GEM. No doubt the chance is there.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The GEM is absolutely gorgeous tonight. Pretty hard to ignore an extremely cold 12z GFS and an extremely cold 0z GEM. No doubt the chance is there.

Pretty minor right now as far as model waves go. Overall trend has to be discouraging if you want to see anything these next two weeks. 00z Euro and GFS are in pretty good agreement, as are the ensembles.

The lack of amplification on the ECMWF is a real puzzle. The other models and the GFS ensemble show the amplification as a given with placement of the block being the main point of disagreement.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This is just so far from good...

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!192!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2014122100!!chart.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The lack of amplification on the ECMWF is a real puzzle. The other models and the GFS ensemble show the amplification as a given with placement of the block being the main point of disagreement.

Honestly that is always the place of disagreement year after year. I do not see this being all that puzzling.