Super Bowl Weekend Major Snowstorm

Tom

00z NAM increases wind profile on this system now which is characteristic of a storm that is deepening better than previous runs.  Just checked sustained winds in IA/IL/WI are 20mph+ with gusts up to 35mph!  Should be a wind driven fluffy snowfall and LES is certainly on the rise considerably which will want to drive farther inland with stronger winds.

Did you guys notice when the northern stream comes down it looks to develop a defo band (or something) across northern Iowa? Is that phasing??? Cuz it looks like the main event passes by....but then this happens. I haven't seen that yet with this system. Maybe that northern stream is a bit stronger this run.

beautiful lake enhancement signal for NE IL as well.

The LES is setting up to be something of a beauty with about 24 hours of sustained winds off the lake.  Somebody is going to cash in big on lake enhancement.  I think what we will likely see is banding to start forming near MKE initially around 9pm Saturday as the cold front slides down south.  Temps during the onset begin near 30F, then fall into low 20's for the duration of the event.

• Like 1

Did you guys notice when the northern stream comes down it looks to develop a defo band (or something) across northern Iowa? Is that phasing??? Cuz it looks like the main event passes by....but then this happens. I haven't seen that yet with this system. Maybe that northern stream is a bit stronger this run.

Yes--- it's like partly trying to phase-- or at least earlier-- so close.

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Yes--- it's like partly trying to phase-- or at least earlier-- so close.

The trend has been to phase a bit earlier on the Euro as well.  Tonight's full suite of runs should be interesting.  NAM really beefed up the qpf totals northward this run.

The LES is setting up to be something of a beauty with about 24 hours of sustained winds off the lake. Somebody is going to cash in big on lake enhancement. I think what we will likely see is banding to start forming near MKE initially around 9pm Saturday as the cold front slides down south. Temps during the onset begin near 30F, then fall into low 20's for the duration of the event.[/quote

Yep, from what I can see on my phone the lake enhancement gets going fairly early on and continues for a good 24+

• Like 1

Different look...nice slug of moisture and still snowing in IA/WI/IL...posting the last simulated radar image at 60hr from WRF...the model is picking up on banding near MKE.

Check out the WRF's wind profile...solid NNE wind off the lake...

Lake water temps still in the low 40's for a large part of Lake Michigan and with 850's in the teens Celcius sub zero, there should be some intense banding with this set up.  Hope trends continue.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/ncast/mswt-00.gif