February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

The Canadian keeps it notably colder in WA on Sunday than previous runs. We still have NE wind gradients and 528 thickness. Oregon may be the big winner for snow though. This is such a big change that we'll have to see a few more runs to know what's really going on. Looking more likely somebody will have some serious snow though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This is by far the most interesting run, especially if this low can reinforce the modified cold air + lock in low elevations into the freezer with snow cover. All of the overrunning ones were 33 in one way or another, with none amounting to much more than December's transition storm.

Yes I dont understand why people are upset with this. Could be huge.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

wouldn't surprise me. Would put most places around 31 32. I was 36 at work today in port orchard.

It would shock me. 850s are way colder later in the week than they were today. It would make no sense to only have it 5 degrees colder than today. I still say people are going to be surprised by how cold this ends up.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 00z still shows the overrunning event, so no worries even if this run were to verify.

IMO the run is a wash for the Seattle area. Less moisture, but the cold hangs on longer. The Canadian is dangerously close to something that could end up really good.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The Canadian keeps it notably colder in WA on Sunday than previous runs. We still have NE wind gradients and 528 thickness. Oregon may be the big winner for snow though. This is such a big change that we'll have to see a few more runs to know what's really going on. Looking more likely somebody will have some serious snow though.

I love the trend of keeping it colder.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Seriously??

No precip up here through the entire weekend?

http://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/colour_images/00_054_G1_north@america@zoomout_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@012_144.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Any warmer trend like this will initially start out looking like a good thing. "Durrr-it's warmer but we get more snow!"

Watch, now that the general pattern the models had been showing up until tonight has been warmed so drastically, the models will only continue warming. The whole thing will probably dig offshore and we will be left with warm SW flow and rain up to the ski resorts.

Any warmer trend like this will initially start out looking like a good thing. "Durrr-it's warmer but we get more snow!"

Watch, now that the general pattern the models had been showing up until tonight has been warmed so drastically, the models will only continue warming. The whole thing will probably dig offshore and we will be left with warm SW flow and rain up to the ski resorts.

As opposed to nothing?

Well I just copied the link and wen through the frames over the weekend. It seems like a solid 25mm+ of liquid, so over a foot for portland? I don't see any reason for precipitation to be anything other than snow.

If the low tracks south of PDX it will be all snow, so yea over a foot.

If the low tracks south of PDX it will be all snow, so yea over a foot.

It seems like it to me, unless there is another low in a missing frame that goes a lot further north than central Oregon coast. Btw if you live in Pyuallup and low tracks to your south you can still get a bit of nothing/rain thanks to SE downslope winds when everyone else is getting snow. I'm sure there is an uninhabited location like that in Willamette valley too.

Wow.

It seems like it to me, unless there is another low in a missing frame that goes a lot further north than central Oregon coast. Btw if you live in Pyuallup and low tracks to your south you can still get a bit of nothing/rain thanks to SE downslope winds when everyone else is getting snow. I'm sure there is an uninhabited location like that in Willamette valley too.

Yeah we have that here in the Valley in Milwaukie.

Guest Monty67

:lol:.  Wait are you serious.  Are you about to have a breakdown?

Did Andrew hack your account? ;)

:lol:. Wait are you serious. Are you about to have a breakdown?

:lol:

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

Guest Monty67

63 degree rain for PDX on the long range 00Z!

Looks over done. Unlikely they top 60F.

I think maybe you have been putting a little too much weight in the ensemble mean for short term forecasting the last few days. Its still going to be very cold and windy in the gorge. As for snow, probably some of that too, sometime between Friday night and sunday. It will all work out in the end for you.

Looks over done. Unlikely they top 60F.

I think maybe you have been putting a little too much weight in the ensemble mean for short term forecasting the last few days. Its still going to be very cold and windy in the gorge. As for snow, probably some of that too, sometime between Friday night and sunday. It will all work out in the end for you.

Not really. The WRF, EURO and Canadian were all pretty solid on a major cold outbreak. Even the operational GFS came around the last few days. Until tonight. And now the Canadian is following it.

Just feels like the whole thing is falling apart on us all of a sudden, and to add insult to injury certain people are rubbing it in. Maybe it would be best if I just stopped posting for the night.

• Like 1

Guest Monty67

Is this comedy night? What's going on? Now we have 2 snowstorms for PDX, 63 and rain in LR, 0Z GFS is freakin' out, winter cancel, a foot of snow for PDX, and the cold spell is now not so cold. How can all this happen in such a short time???

Probably global warming interacting with the polar vortex, and something about a rossby wave-train.
  • Like 2