August 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

In London right now and it is incredibly humid.

Got caught up in a severe warned storm in Chicago, while we were in the plane while it was being taxied to the terminal. Golf ball sized hail, a downpour that turned everything to a foam for a minute, and lightning every few seconds.

Expecting severe storms in Berlin later this week, with thunderstorms almost every night.

Meanwhile there's been a dearth of thunderstorms at least from EUG-BLI on the I-5 corridor this summer. Maybe you'll bring something back with you.

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

It's a consensus table that takes the available data from reputable sources and quantifies anomalies in their forecast. I can see why you find serious issues with a so called "pro met" taking data that we all know as being dirty and lazy. It is data none the less, and can offer insights into methodologies that we couldn't see before.

As for it being "dirty and lazy" the verification stats seem to indicate there's value in "the Wrong Channel" and "Inaccuweather" forecasts, at least over longer time periods. I've been using the table for a month now and have seen several times where NWS bends toward consensus...for instance on one day the consensus forecast for day 5 is 3 or 4 degrees lower than NWS and next day NWS lowers their forecast which then closely follows consensus.

Another use for the forecast is seeing uncertainty at a glance. It's easy to see what days are likely to have fluctuations in the forecast going forward and which are likely to remain fairly stable.

Perhaps the simplicity is off-putting, which is fine. Can't please everyone. I'm looking for useful and functional.

Got caught up in a severe warned storm in Chicago, while we were in the plane while it was being taxied to the terminal. Golf ball sized hail, a downpour that turned everything to a foam for a minute, and lightning every few seconds.

Expecting severe storms in Berlin later this week, with thunderstorms almost every night.

That's awesome, how long are you going to be in Berlin?

One of my best friends just moved to Trier last week.

Sounds like a glorious honeymoon. Hopefully your partner appreciates severe weather as well.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Someone is really on guard now!

It's all good, my friend. We all know you're a smart guy and in tune with the local weather. You have nothing to prove, especially after nailing temps throughout this last heatwave.

Armchair stalker.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

There are no great bands from Colorado. You should change that.

Earth, Wind and Fire!!! 

No, I agree. No great ones from Portland, either. The Shins are based there (though originally from elsewhere), and probably my favorite "Portland" band.

I have no musical talent.

A forum for the end of the world.

LR models keep wanting to give us another hot spell mid-month.

Bring it on! It will add to the best summer (weather wise) of my lifetime.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Six 90s on the 12z.

The only high clouds will be centered directly over Lake Goodwin. Check the MM5s.

I was a bit irritated on Saturday when a thin band of high clouds obscured the sun for about 10 min while I was trying to enjoy the lake, I do not want a repeat.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Did a hike around the Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge this afternoon after an appointment in Vancouver. Partly cloudy skies and refreshing NW breezes. Pretty amazing how much the area around Ridgefield has been developed since the last time I was out there, though.

I'll be here for 9 days. Even with the heat, this lace is awesome. I'm now somewhat motivated to see what it would take for someone of my background to emigrate here for a couple of years.

Probably fairly doable, especially if you have a college degree.

My friend and former roommate is a dual-citizen (his mom is German) so he was a shoe in. We hope to visit within the next year or so.

The climate of West-Central Germany is VERY similar to here. Slightly colder winters.

Temp-wise the summers in Berlin are very similar to Seattle while the winters are tough to compare to a major US city...days are similar to Boise or SLC while the nights are a bit milder due to more maritime influence. Hot temps this summer appear to be very close to all-time records rather than a common occurrence (at least historically). Record highs are pretty similar to those of Seattle, if not a hair cooler, while record lows are quite a bit colder most months. With Berlin sitting at 52.5 N latitude (nearly the latitude of Edmonton, Alberta) versus 47.5 at Seattle the colder winter temps in winter aren't surprising.

The lack of a degree hurts, but I hope to rectify that soon and use my professional experience.

The weather seems to be a mix of continental, where strong storms and 95°+ days a common for the summer. The winters are cold enough for snow season long, but warm enough to allow people to live comfortably.

I have relatives in Berlin and they love the climate there. It's a bit more continental relative to the climate of the PNW, but lacks the seasonal extremes of a true temperate/continental climate.

I'm also looking to relocate after completing my degree, but unfortunately the bulk of the market for atmospheric science majors is, well, right here.