Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

September 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Phil

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21569 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.

Yep, I have nearly a year worth of data on Wunderground now, but the previous mount was about half as tall and close to a tree. It was also sitting much lower than the roof of the house so readings were definitely being affected.

Oh, can you post a link to the station? I have Bryant's and a few others' stations saved to favorites on Wunderground, but I don't think I've added yours yet.
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...pwsdash#history

VancouverIslandSouth

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

VancouverIslandSouth

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1753 posts

Oh, can you post a link to the station? I have Bryant's and a few others' stations saved to favorites on Wunderground, but I don't think I've added yours yet.

Here it is: https://www.wundergr...rd?ID=ISAANICH3

• Phil likes this

Timmy

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:15 PM

Timmy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2649 posts
  • LocationNorth Plains, OR - 1540ft

The terrain is rocky and fast draining, it doesn't take much heat to amplify a drought. It's pretty common to see 80F+ days away from the water, but then temperature doesn't seem to have an impact on drought. It's just as bad in James Bay, which averages maybe 10F colder than inland suburbs. Whereas Butchart Gardens runs warmer but a bit rainier and is clearly doing better.

Sounds like you just hate your climate

snow_wizard

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:25 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 13783 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

Yep, it was a bit of a trade-off with this; in its old lower spot the wind/rain readings were likely being interfered with by the big tree in the back. Wind/rain should be more accurate now but nighttime temperatures may run a little warmer. I'm already at the top of a local hill so it may not affect temperatures too much, and being a little higher up temperatures will generally be more indicative of the airmass.

You could get an inexpensive wireless thermometer and mount that at 6 feet and see how they compare.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 27

Lows 32 or below = 4

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows Below 20 = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

Geos

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

Geos

Special Contributor

• Mods
  • 8080 posts
  • LocationKirkland/Kenmore line

The weather station is back in action with a new 20ft pole. Getting some quick-hitting heavy showers and gusty winds right now, last chance for rain before yet another ridiculously dry stretch. 

qaKen3j.jpg

What kind of a system do you have?

Finn Hill, elevation: 460 ft

2018 moisture: 33.99", 11/12
Lowest Temp of Autumn 2018: 29°, 11/11

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 0.00"2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam: http://map.bloomsky....qBxp6apnJSnqqm2
https://www.wundergr...OTHE144#history

Phil

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21569 posts
Tim should get a station and post it on Wunderground. I've always wondered how much rain actually falls there.
  • Geos and Front Ranger like this
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...pwsdash#history

Phil

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21569 posts

That looks like a Vantage Vue, but it's hard to tell from that distance.
  • VancouverIslandSouth likes this

VancouverIslandSouth

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:37 PM

VancouverIslandSouth

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1753 posts

Sounds like you just hate your climate

September - early January and April - May are usually pretty nice. The remainder of the year leaves something to be desired.

VancouverIslandSouth

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

VancouverIslandSouth

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1753 posts

It's a Davis Vantage Vue.

• Geos likes this

VancouverIslandSouth

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:42 PM

VancouverIslandSouth

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1753 posts

You could get an inexpensive wireless thermometer and mount that at 6 feet and see how they compare.

I have a really old thermometer mounted to the side of the house, but I'm not sure if it's accurate enough to make a direct comparison. A wireless sensor located directly under that would be the way to go. I've thought about setting up an array of them to compare it with low lying areas down in the yard as well. 

Geos

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

Geos

Special Contributor

• Mods
  • 8080 posts

It's a Davis Vantage Vue.

Ok. I'm looking to get a system for my location. 

Raining moderately here now.

VancouverIslandSouth

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:13 PM

VancouverIslandSouth

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1753 posts

Ok. I'm looking to get a system for my location. 

Raining moderately here now.

It's a bit pricey, but definitely worth it. You'll probably want the WeatherLinkIP unless you plan on building your own data uploader.

• Geos likes this

stuffradio

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:20 PM

stuffradio

Advanced Member

• Mods
  • 3096 posts
  • LocationMaple Ridge, BC

I've received about 0.3" of rain today.

Geos

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:28 PM

Geos

Special Contributor

• Mods
  • 8080 posts

Tim should get a station and post it on Wunderground. I've always wondered how much rain actually falls there.

Yeah Tim has some really interesting weather there. Not many locations this side of the mountains gets as much snow as his location does. Not many stations period at that elevation.

• Phil likes this

stuffradio

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

stuffradio

Advanced Member

• Mods
  • 3096 posts
  • LocationMaple Ridge, BC

Yeah Tim has some really interesting weather there. Not many locations this side of the mountains gets as much snow as his location does. Not many stations period at that elevation.

I think it's just a made up conspiracy theory by Tim to make us all jealous.

• Phil likes this

Phil

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21569 posts

It's a bit pricey, but definitely worth it. You'll probably want the WeatherLinkIP unless you plan on building your own data uploader.

Have you tried Weatherbridge? It's so much better than Weatherlink, IMO. It uploads to Wunderground every five seconds and it's completely wireless.

Here's a link to mine. Captures the temperature variations extremely well with the rapid upload interval (5 secs):

https://www.wundergr...BETHE62#history

VancouverIslandSouth

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:55 PM

VancouverIslandSouth

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1753 posts

Have you tried Weatherbridge? It's so much better than Weatherlink, IMO. It uploads to Wunderground every five seconds and it's completely wireless.

Here's a link to mine. Captures the temperature variations extremely well with the rapid upload interval (5 secs):

Yep, I looked at it originally and would have bought it but I couldn't find any businesses willing to ship it to Canada at a reasonable price.

Kayla

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:04 PM

Kayla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2755 posts
  • LocationBozeman, MT

I just got the Airbridge/Weatherbridge setup. Are you running the system without a console? As in just directly uploading to Wunderground or some other interface? How do you like it?

I just got the whole setup and am in process of getting it all setup for my Davis Vantage Pro2. I definitely like the idea of not having to run through a computer and worrying about missing out on data if the computer shuts down or whatnot. 

• Phil likes this

Cold Season 2018/19:

Total snowfall: 23.0"
Highest daily snowfall: 7.0"

Highest snow depth: 7.0"

Coldest high: 26.6º
Coldest low: 4.6º

Number of subzero days: 0

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...OZEM152#history

Phil

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:24 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21569 posts

I just got the Airbridge/Weatherbridge setup. Are you running the system without a console? As in just directly uploading to Wunderground or some other interface? How do you like it?

I'm running mine through the Vantage Pro 2 console, right through the datalogger port.

It's so easy and has run so smoothly that I haven't even touched the WxBridge unit since I installed it last December. Post the link to yours once you've set it up!

I just got the whole setup and am in process of getting it all setup for my Davis Vantage Pro2. I definitely like the idea of not having to run through a computer and worrying about missing out on data if the computer shuts down or whatnot.

Yeah, that was a pain in the a** when I had WxLink. We'd have a power surge or my PC would update and I'd have to restart the system. Also the fact it rapid-fires to Wunderground every five seconds is incredible and is actually my favorite part about it.
  • Kayla likes this

Phil

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:29 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21569 posts
I'm currently in the process of installing two 4K live stream weather cameras with night vision and a 35fps upload speed. Will probably run the streams on YouTube or something.

I'm also installing both a small generator and a battery backup unit w/ solar panels to run both cameras, router/modem, and the weather station/WxBridge units so they'll remain up and running even when the power is knocked out.

snow_wizard

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 13783 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

Yep, I looked at it originally and would have bought it but I couldn't find any businesses willing to ship it to Canada at a reasonable price.

How much are they quoting for a shipping cost?  They should be able to do insured priority mail for $50 to $60.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 27

Lows 32 or below = 4

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows Below 20 = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

snow_wizard

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 13783 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

The 18z GFS is a tad colder than the 12z.  I'm surprised how solidly the cold shot hits around a week out consdidering how the trough doesn't dig very sharply.  If future runs sharpen it a bit that could be a nippy one.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 27

Lows 32 or below = 4

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows Below 20 = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

snow_wizard

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:29 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 13783 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

He gets a ton.  I know Preston which is west of him gets over 80 inches a year.  Out in his area it could be 90.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 27

Lows 32 or below = 4

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows Below 20 = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

ShawniganLake

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:43 PM

ShawniganLake

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5917 posts
  • LocationShawnigan Lake, BC. Southern Vancouver Island, 500ft

He gets a ton. I know Preston which is west of him gets over 80 inches a year. Out in his area it could be 90.

I would guess 90-100 seems possible.

VancouverIslandSouth

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:45 PM

VancouverIslandSouth

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1753 posts

How much are they quoting for a shipping cost?  They should be able to do insured priority mail for $50 to $60.

Most of the ones I found outright wouldn't ship to Canada and the ones that do are asking for $500 CAD (~$400 USD), which was more than I was willing to pay given you can buy directly from AmbientWeather down there for a little over $200 USD.

Kayla

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

Kayla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2755 posts
  • LocationBozeman, MT

I'm running mine through the Vantage Pro 2 console, right through the datalogger port.

It's so easy and has run so smoothly that I haven't even touched the WxBridge unit since I installed it last December. Post the link to yours once you've set it up!

Yeah, that was a pain in the a** when I had WxLink. We'd have a power surge or my PC would update and I'd have to restart the system. Also the fact it rapid-fires to Wunderground every five seconds is incredible and is actually my favorite part about it.

Great, thanks for the info! Glad to hear that you've had good success with it.

I'll be sure to post it once it's all online. Good news is I'm setting it up in a really wide open wheat field at the base of the Gallatin Range so it'll record those Arctic front winds accurately! I was hoping to get it online before this weeks snowstorm but it's not going to happen unfortunately. It'll be up for the next snowstorm which could be as early as next weekend now!  :blink:

My snowfall measuring board is all setup and ready to go though! Ughh... I'm such a weather geek!  :lol:

• Phil and VancouverIslandSouth like this

Cold Season 2018/19:

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...OZEM152#history

TT-SEA

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 34971 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

The 18z GFS is a tad colder than the 12z. I'm surprised how solidly the cold shot hits around a week out consdidering how the trough doesn't dig very sharply. If future runs sharpen it a bit that could be a nippy one.

Do you ever look at the ECMWF? You should. Its been trending some the other way. And its far more accurate. All basis of model discussion should at least start with the ECMWF. You will have a better idea of what is going to happen. :)

VancouverIslandSouth

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:25 PM

VancouverIslandSouth

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1753 posts

I'll be sure to post it once it's all online. Good news is I'm setting it up in a really wide open wheat field at the base of the Gallatin Range so it'll record those Arctic front winds accurately! I was hoping to get it online before this weeks snowstorm but it's not going to happen unfortunately. It'll be up for the next snowstorm which could be as early as next weekend now!  :blink:

My snowfall measuring board is all setup and ready to go though! Ughh... I'm such a weather geek!  :lol:

Snow already? How much is expected?

Phil

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:29 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21569 posts

I'll be sure to post it once it's all online. Good news is I'm setting it up in a really wide open wheat field at the base of the Gallatin Range so it'll record those Arctic front winds accurately! I was hoping to get it online before this weeks snowstorm but it's not going to happen unfortunately. It'll be up for the next snowstorm which could be as early as next weekend now! :blink:

My snowfall measuring board is all setup and ready to go though! Ughh... I'm such a weather geek! :lol:

Nice! Lucky you. I'm definitely looking forward to tracking your weather observations this winter, especially given the La Niña.

And yeah, I'm struggling to measure wind speeds accurately here. Last winter we had a windstorm so powerful it blew cars out of their parking spots, and my station only hit 43mph, which was at least 30mph underdone. I'm almost thinking of just cutting down one of those big trees myself, but I love nature too much to to that. 😒
  • Kayla likes this

Kayla

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:35 PM

Kayla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2755 posts
  • LocationBozeman, MT

Snow already? How much is expected?

Well I already had around an inch of snow on the 19th, 22nd and the 23rd but it was very wet and melted off within a few hours. So this Monday and Tuesday won't be my first accumulating snow of the year but it should stick around longer with much colder temps in the 20's and likely teens Tuesday night.

At this point, I'm probably looking at around 3-5" of accumulation.

• Phil likes this

Cold Season 2018/19:

Kayla

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:48 PM

Kayla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2755 posts
  • LocationBozeman, MT

Nice! Lucky you. I'm definitely looking forward to tracking your weather observations this winter, especially given the La Niña.

And yeah, I'm struggling to measure wind speeds accurately here. Last winter we had a windstorm so powerful it blew cars out of their parking spots, and my station only hit 43mph, which was at least 30mph underdone. I'm almost thinking of just cutting down one of those big trees myself, but I love nature too much to to that. 😒

Yeah, it was impossible to get any sort of accurate wind readings when we lived in the West Hills in Portland as well. Missed out on some crazy wind storms!

For those interested, this CWOP is actually located VERY close (I can see it) to my upcoming station and is really accurate so you can follow along and track the cold air this week if you'd like! http://www.wrh.noaa....map&raw=0&w=325

• Phil likes this

Cold Season 2018/19:

ShawniganLake

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:02 PM

ShawniganLake

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5917 posts
Picked up 0.07" in some light showers today. Brought me very close to 1" of rain for the month now.

ShawniganLake

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

ShawniganLake

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5917 posts
Hopefully we can pull off a pattern similar to this in another couple months.Attached File  IMG_0969.PNG   161.66KB   1 downloads

Phil

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 21569 posts
Solar minimum years sure seem to feature more frequent western troughing than solar maximum years. At least over the last 30yrs or so.

Jesse

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

Jesse

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 25999 posts
  • LocationEast Vancouver, WA (300')

Hopefully we can pull off a pattern similar to this in another couple months. IMG_0969.PNG

October patterns like that tend to be a very good sign in cold ENSO years. Of course it would need to verify to count.
  • ShawniganLake likes this

snow_wizard

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:54 PM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 13783 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

Solar minimum years sure seem to feature more frequent western troughing than solar maximum years. At least over the last 30yrs or so.

We seem to do especially well on the downhill side of the cycle.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 27

Lows 32 or below = 4

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows Below 20 = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

VancouverIslandSouth

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:55 PM

VancouverIslandSouth

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1753 posts

Picked up 0.07" in some light showers today. Brought me very close to 1" of rain for the month now.

The afternoon showers weren't very impressive here, added a few hundredths of an inch more to the monthly total. Finishing with 0.65" for another below average month.

wx_statman

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:48 PM

wx_statman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4605 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Hopefully we can pull off a pattern similar to this in another couple months.attachicon.gifIMG_0969.PNG

Worked in '08

Attached Files

• ShawniganLake likes this

Front Ranger

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

Front Ranger

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 15522 posts
  • LocationWestminster, CO

Dude... what is the normal summer rain there?    It can't be much.    Getting nothing is just slightly below normal.  And you rarely even see 80.  You live in a cool, dry summer climate.    Its never hot.  

Uh, no.

Getting nothing to .10" over a period that averages 2-3" is kind of a big deal.

Cool anomalies soothe the soul.

ShawniganLake

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

ShawniganLake

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5917 posts
Looks like Shawnigan Lake pulled off a record Warm September (since 1913). Data for the 30th hasn't updated yet, but we are 0.5F clear of the 1995 record.
  • wx_statman likes this

snow_wizard

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:29 AM

snow_wizard

The Snow Wizard

• Mods
  • 13783 posts
  • LocationCovington, WA

Worked in '08

That pattern brought some of the earliest mins of 25 or below on record to a few stations.  VERY similar to the pattern we are in now.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2018-19 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 27

Lows 32 or below = 4

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows Below 20 = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

Geos

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

Geos

Special Contributor

• Mods
  • 8080 posts

I'll have to look at my wx stats when I get home, but I think September ended up with 0.9" of rain with a +2.5 degree departure.