June 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

I mean I don’t get the point of rooting for huge summer troughs either. The PNW has some of the best summer weather in the country for outdoor activities and such. Why wish that away?

If you hate summer so much, we have a coast where temperatures rarely break 70 and there’s a constant strong ocean wind that makes it feel 15°F colder than it actually is.

Popocatepetl doing its thing again overnight.

I want a supervolcano eruption. Let’s cool off the earth for some better winters. 92-93 feels ancient.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1143176378290003968?s=21

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I mean I don’t get the point of rooting for huge summer troughs either. The PNW has some of the best summer weather in the country for outdoor activities and such. Why wish that away?

If you hate summer so much, we have a coast where temperatures rarely break 70 and there’s a constant strong ocean wind that makes it feel 15°F colder than it actually is.

So people who root for the occasional big summer trough now hate summer? Interesting.

Wouldn't your ideal climate have like 5" of rain each summer. Might need troughing nearby at times for that.

So people who root for the occasional big summer trough now hate summer? Interesting.

Wouldn't your ideal climate have like 5" of rain each summer. Might need troughing nearby at times for that.

Not that I want to get into this debate... but you did say you wished that a big summer trough was the default pattern and not just occasional.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Not that I want to get into this debate... but you did say you wished that a big summer trough was the default pattern and not just occasional.

Of course you do. :lol:

I never said that. Was talking about temperatures IMBY.

Of course you do. :lol:

I never said that. Was talking about temperatures IMBY.

I don't care if you want Sitka weather all summer... it will not change what actually happens either way.

But it would take a permanent big trough for Portland to have a high of 70 all summer as you wish.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I don't care if you want Sitka weather all summer... it will not change what actually happens either way.

Yes, just like you stating your opinions ad nauseam won't change anything either. Nice strawman attempt though. ;) Now I want Sitka weather all summer. :lol:

Yes, just like you stating your opinions ad nauseam won't change anything either. Nice strawman attempt though. ;) Now I want Sitka weather all summer. :lol:

That was just an example.

But I am sure there would be no complaints ever from you if you had Sitka-like summers down there.

Popocatepetl doing its thing again overnight.

I want a supervolcano eruption. Let’s cool off the earth for some better winters. 92-93 feels ancient.https://twitter.com/abc/status/1143176378290003968?s=21

1993 was a terrible year, and it wasn’t just summer.

Rainy season didn’t start until December that year thanks to the extreme seasonal lag. November was utter trash. That winter was mostly pathetic save for 2 slushy inches that fell at the end of February (yup, backloaded winter) and were quickly washed away by the nearly 2” of rain that fell that day. Mountain snow was probably pathetic.

1993 was a terrible year, and it wasn’t just summer.

Rainy season didn’t start until December that year thanks to the extreme seasonal lag. November was utter trash. That winter was mostly pathetic save for 2 slushy inches that fell at the end of February (yup, backloaded winter) and were quickly washed away by the nearly 2” of rain that fell that day. Mountain snow was probably pathetic.

92-93 was an awesome winter though.  I was in 2nd grade and I remember multiple Willamette Valley Specials that dropped snow from EUG-PDX on a regular basis.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

00Z EPS looked troughier for that period. Seemed to want to hold lower heights over us leading up to the 4th.

Yes... and likely to be the case.

But the control run was more ridgy and warm next week and sometimes that is an indication of which way the EPS will trend.  

EPS mean for the 4th of July...

eps-z500-noram-45.png

And the control run...

eps-z500-c-noram-45.png

Meh. I sleep fine when it’s hot. Don’t you have air conditioning anyways?

But you guys don’t have air conditioning. Which makes it even more stupid to root for heatwaves.

Again, what’s the fooking point? Why root for heat? WHY? Just because you can? What good does it do for you or for the ecosystem? It’s absolutely 100% pointless.

But you guys don’t have air conditioning. Which makes it even more stupid to root for heatwaves.

Again, what’s the fooking point? Why root for heat? WHY? Just because you can? What good does it do for you or for the ecosystem? It’s absolutely 100% pointless.

Heat can be a fun novelty sometimes.

This discussion is pointless.   Nature will do what its going to do and people like different things.

This discussion is pointless. Nature will do what its going to do and people like different things.

Not that I want to get into this debate...but that could be applied to thousands of discussions you have started as well.

• Like 1

Not that I want to get into this debate...but that could be applied to thousands of discussions you have started as well.

Definitely.

And still true.   

Heat can be a fun novelty sometimes.

Is this a troll post? Here, I’ll check outside just in case I’m dumb and crazy (it’s 89/70 and climbing).

Opening the back door.

Nope, nothing “fun” about this garbage.

Closing the back door as a cloud of mosquitoes moves in for the kill.

The fact people enjoy this is truly insane.

57 and mostly cloudy currently. Looks like we’re going to close out the 1st half of the year with only 4 80+ high temps this year. Lowest number of 80+ highs in the April 1st-June 30th time period since 2014 when we had 3. Overall meaning it’s just been a bit of a slower start to summer heat than in recent years. 2015 had 12, 2016 had 13 and 2017 had 7 for example.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Is this a troll post? Here, I’ll check outside just in case I’m dumb and crazy (it’s 89/70 and climbing).

Opening the back door.

I thought you swore off polluting our forum with this stuff?

Opening the back door.

Well you, probably the majority of people on here and I aren’t fans of heat but people are going to want what they want. no matter how many times you try to change their opinion it isn’t going to change nor is it worth it trying to change it lol.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Opening the back door.

We almost never have that weather here... its so rare that its not even a thought.   But its your default summer weather.   Big difference.    You are projecting.

I understand why people in Portland and Eugene like summer troughing... it results in nice weather there.   I don't like it here because its often gloomy.   I would feel differently if I lived down there.   

Guest CulverJosh

12Z WRF shows an explosion of convection mainly east of the Cascades on Wednesday afternoon...

olr.60.0000.gif

Yep. Hoping for something good starting tomorrow afternoon through friday perhaps.

Yeah 92-93 was a great winter in the valley.

PDX 14.1"

SLE: 32"

EUG: 18"

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

12Z ECMWF shows the convection that forms east of the mountains on Wednesday afternoon and evening wrapping around the ULL and pounding Vancouver Island on Thursday morning...

ecmwf-precip-06-nw-14.png

Gfs is showing 0.5-1.0” of rain for all of western WA and NW OR over the next 7 days. Probably won’t be exactly like that some spots will get little to none and some spots more. hopefully there’s a good amount atleast I definitely need it at my house.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Gfs is showing 0.5-1.0” of rain for all of western WA and NW OR over the next 7 days. Probably won’t be exactly like that some spots will get little to none and some spots more. hopefully there’s a good amount atleast I definitely need it at my house.

Total precip through Sunday per the 12Z ECMWF.     That wrap around band on Thursday morning is quite evident.   

ecmwf-tprecip-washington-27.png

Total precip through Sunday per the 12Z ECMWF. That wrap around band on Thursday morning is quite evident.

Central sound seems to get shadowed still unfortunately but good to see a lot of areas getting much needed rain.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Central sound seems to get shadowed still unfortunately but good to see a lot of areas getting much needed rain.

Not shadowing from the Olympics though... the flow is from the E and SE this week.    Its actually shadowing from the Cascades.

Total precip through Sunday per the 12Z ECMWF.     That wrap around band on Thursday morning is quite evident.   

Pretty lame amounts, even for this time of year. Going to be one of the driest June's on record for the Willamette Valley. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Not shadowing from the Olympics though... the flow is from the E and SE this week. Its actually shadowing from the Cascades.

Yeah wrap around moisture. Well if it verifies exactly this way it’ll be about 0.20-0.30” total. Would be 0.30”-0.40” total for the month of June which would be either 2nd or 3rd driest I’ve recorded here in Tacoma. Other places have done better in Western WA obviously but down in the willamette valley in OR like Andrew said it’ll still be one of the driest in that area.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Models seem kind of lost after day 5 or so right now.

Details during the transition are muddled... but there is consistent trend towards retrogression which is climo in early July.