December 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Not sure that the pattern depicted is ever going to lead to big results. Those type of systems don't usually carry a ton of moisture, unless they get invigorated by some arctic air and intensify, which seems unlikely for now.

Third wrf run in a row with snow for northern regions. First one to spread the snow down the sound.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_extended/images_d2/wa_snow24.180.0000.gif

Wow I do like that second shade of blue right over my area on that map!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

That looks fantastic and it's only showing snowfall through hour 180. After that even more moisture comes on in.

Next week has lots of interesting possibilities. There probably won't be a full on arctic blast, but at least there are multiple chances for lower elevation snowfall. At the very minimum TT will see some flakes in the air.

The past 30 days have been more exciting than anything we witnessed last winter. Ski conditions up until Christmas will be a nice present.

Wow, it's actually starting to get sunny here...

Went from heavy rain and very dark to mostly sunny in about a half hr span here!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

A friend in Seattle said she was suddenly woken up this morning by a huge clap of thunder and extremely heavy rain/hail.

Pretty cool little squall lines moving through this morning.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

The fighting has begun!

http://content.boards.baltimoreravens.com/public/style_emoticons/default/popcorn%20drama.gif

Brightside #1: The Holiday season is approaching

Brightside #2: We can drive at normal speeds without having to worry about skidding off the road.

Brighsidet #3: We can exercise and workout if we see dry weather. Ever wonder why everyone out east is fatter come March? My friend in Chicago gained 30lbs in 4 months last winter. 30 lbs! :huh:

• Like 1

The fighting has begun!

http://content.boards.baltimoreravens.com/public/style_emoticons/default/popcorn%20drama.gif

Brightside #1: The Holiday season is approaching

Brightside #2: We can drive at normal speeds without having to worry about skidding off the road.

Brighsidet #3: We can exercise and workout if we see dry weather. Ever wonder why everyone out east is fatter come March? My friend in Chicago gained 30lbs in 4 months last winter. 30 lbs! :huh:

We will fatten them up for Spring to fund the exercise businesses!

People back east just don't get outside. Has nothing to do with the weather and everything to do with culture lifestyle.

This is why I love the Pacific Northwest.

On a more serious note. How reliable is the JMA? I never see it mentioned on here.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/jma/2015120912/jma_z500_mslp_namer_9.png

Looks like it is snowing at Timberline again. And all their snow didn't melt. Yay.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

City of Carnation just posted this on their FB: "The City is expected to become an island soon and remain that way til tomorrow morning. Choose your side of the river and get there now." Looks like I need to be leaving work now. Hopefully it isn't too late to get back into town. Deep, swift waters were seen in the whole valley on my way into work at around 8AM. Hopefully all the farmers got their livestock to high ground.

Just saw that. I dont think WD will be closed until later this evening but I'd head home. I have multiple friends that just stayed home today.

Wanted to throw a video together to demonstrate visually how OLR/CHI/Convection in the tropics can alter the jet stream, which has down stream implications on our weather.

Pause if needed, but at the 00 hour you'll see -OLR over the Pacific on the bottom map (green's) with +OLR over the Maritime Continent (Orange's). -OLR/Convection over the Pacific is typical in an El Nino regime due to lift/upward motion in that location. The convection over the Pacific excites the jet stream if you will, causing it to extend clear over the Pacific as you can see in the top image, which is the jet stream @ 250mb. The extended jet/Aleutian low combo is one we know all too well here in the PNW, and one that is pretty easy to spot when tracking tropical projections. 

Run the video forward to hour 24 and you'll see the -OLR quickly breaking down over the Pacific, allowing the jet to relax to retract. This decrease in the jet stream also allows more amplification to take place over the US, in the form of troughs and ridges. 

Skip to hour 96 and we can now see -OLR over the Maritime Continent. For those who follow the MJO discussions, convection over the MC is what we like to see when looking for cold patterns in the West. The placement of the jet streak east of Japan causes surface cyclogenisis to pump up a ridge over the Aluetians/GOA, producing a downstream trough over the PNW. 

Although you have to have the perfect placement to produce a true snow even in PNW, hours 120 and 144 continue to show -OLR over the MC, and heights continue to rise over the GOA. 

**You'll have to click on the Vimeo button and watch on their site so you get a larger view... not sure how to fix it

[media=500 281]

[/media]
  • Like 3

Nice to see some echo training over the Kalama area.  The last thing you want now is for all those mud flows to dry and crack.  

Making jokes during such a horrific drought is tasteless.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Hard to believe it's been almost 24 hours since that 18z life-altering run initialized.

Just wait until today's 18z... I think it might put some here into labor... Even the men.  I just wonder if it is good enough for another 18z video Part II

Anyone have any info on late January 2002? What kind of pattern was it? Blocked? Transitory?

That was mostly a maritime cold airmass with the trough axis moving in from the NW. The arctic air largely stayed well to the northeast. Deep trough, it brought valley snow down as far south as Sacramento. Trough impacted us for the normal 3-4 days, there just wasn't a ton of cold air available and the CAA was entirely with onshore flow south of Bellingham. 

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2002/us0126.php

• Like 1

and then a snowstorm to pdx at hour 216 as a low slide on shore near newport.

The low placement Could suck for us Puget Sounders being that far south, BUT This far out from that date the details really do not matter much. The bigger scale evolution is nice. :)