May 2016 Observation and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

What would we put on cereal if cows were rudderless?

You are thinking of udderless.   That is a common mistake.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Didn't read through it all. Looks like the heat is focussed over the interior west, but that's not a big surprise.

To be fair, it looks like he is forecasting pretty much all of Canada to be either warm or very warm/hot this summer. We are actually underneath the orange part, luckily not the red. :lol:

image.png

His reasoning for the west coast is interesting:

"Along the immediate West Coast, the summer will be slightly warmer than normal thanks in part to the large area of above-normal sea surface temperatures over the northeast Pacific. Increasingly dry soils over British Columbia will also enhance summertime warmth."

12Z ECMWF is still messy in the long-term... to use Jesse's preferred terminology.

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls09/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls09-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-5OX3Da.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

According to Cliff Mass, "Troughzilla" will be with us for a little while and that we need to protect our Tomato's and get our sweaters washed and ready. Even though I am a huge fan of warm to hot and dry weather this time of the year, I do have the urge to take a drive up the North Cascades Highway sometime over the next few days as it sounds like the snow level will be down as low as 4,000ft.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

According to Cliff Mass, "Troughzilla" will be with us for a little while and that we need to protect our Tomato's and get our sweaters washed and ready. Even though I am a huge fan of warm to hot and dry weather this time of the year, I do have the urge to take a drive up the North Cascades Highway sometime over the next few days as it sounds like the snow level will be down as low as 4,000ft.

Sweaters? Highs will be in the mid-60s most days.

Troughzilla will take us down to normal. Maybe a bit below for whoever gets lucky and gets a good all-day soaking.

Sweaters? Highs will be in the mid-60s most days.

Troughzilla will take us down to normal. Maybe a bit below for whoever gets lucky and gets a good all-day soaking.

Its a ridge then!

Mark Nelsen seems to think there is little chance of a "cool" summer. Though he said that does not necessarily mean it will be "hot."

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

No mention of the building La Niña anywhere in that outlook.

Hard to believe since this forum is so hyper-aware of it, but it is a very recent development, as far as the actual anomalies surfacing.

Looks like he's just going with rudderless persistence.

A forum for the end of the world.

Meh. It's summer, ENSO is overrated.

I don't know. He had a lot to say about El Niño during his summer outlook last year.

Considering it is looking like we will be in a Niña within a month, it seems worth mentioning to me. ENSO lag notwithstanding.

I don't know. He had a lot to say about El Niño during his summer outlook last year.

Considering it is looking like we will be in a Niña within a month, it seems worth mentioning to me. ENSO lag notwithstanding.

I agree. It is worth mentioning because the warm anomalies are likely to fade later in the summer.

Good point, although I don't specifically remember his forecast for last summer. Just seems like overall, ENSO correlations are pretty weak during the summer in comparison to winter.

Good point, although I don't specifically remember his forecast for last summer. Just seems like overall, ENSO correlations are pretty weak during the summer in comparison to winter.

They certainly are. Even so, I was still surprised to hear no mention. Not that it matters.

They faded to some degree last summer as well. September was legitimately cool here. With the opposite ENSO trends.

True.

ENSO is not a big driver of our summer weather.   1995 featured a developing Nina and had the 3rd warmest September on record at PDX.

Nonetheless... I think June and July will be well above normal and either August or September might be a little below normal based on history.  

Surprised to see the 18z GFS/12z EPS both develop a stable Niña forcing/-AAM background. That typically doesn't happen until July/August.

If this is legitimate, I'm probably going to bust warm in both June and July.

• Like 2

True.

ENSO is not a big driver of our summer weather.   1995 featured a developing Nina and had the 3rd warmest September on record at PDX.

Nonetheless... I think June and July will be well above normal and either August or September might be a little below normal based on history.  

At the same time, if you look at all the years where -ENSO was developing by summer.

1954: Very cool Aug/Sep

1964: Very cool Aug/Sep

1970: Cool Aug/Sep

1973: Very cool Aug/average Sep

1983: Average Aug/very cool Sep

1988: Coolish Aug/Sep

1995: Cool Aug/very warm Sep

1998: Warm Aug/Sep

2005: Average Aug/very cool Sep

2007: Coolish Aug/Sep

2010: Average Aug/Sep

Overall, a tendency much more towards a cool second half of summer. Seems like a very good chance that at least one of those months is easily below normal for the region, and a decent chance that both are below normal.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

At the same time, if you look at all the years where -ENSO was developing by summer.

1954: Very cool Aug/Sep

1964: Very cool Aug/Sep

1970: Cool Aug/Sep

1973: Very cool Aug/average Sep

1983: Average Aug/very cool Sep

1988: Coolish Aug/Sep

1995: Cool Aug/very warm Sep

1998: Warm Aug/Sep

2005: Average Aug/very cool Sep

2007: Coolish Aug/Sep

2010: Average Aug/Sep

Overall, a tendency much more towards a cool second half of summer. 

Yes... I agree on the overall tendency.

Strange you cited Sep 1995 then, an obvious exception.

I was just giving an example in response to Shawnigan's statement about how last summer cooled down later with a developing Nino.      Citing an example of the opposite occurred with a Nina developing.

Looks like there's a heavy shower popping up next to Ferndale now. You could be in a good spot for picking up on the convergence between the Strait of Georgia and Juan de Fuca.

Not watching radar, but the rain is pretty consistent right now. Why can't this ever happen during the winter? :P

Looks like there's a decent band of rain moving across the central island. It's slowly sliding south so maybe we'll catch some showers a bit later.

Looks like Nanaimo picked up close to 1/2" in places. Just broken skies here to the south. I usually find that when there is a C zone to our E or SE, things end up being pretty dry here locally. That could change towards the morning though.