August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Nice catch 22 buddy. Accuse me of being worked up for no reason, then when I defend myself, go "see??". :lol:

I've been just fine. This is the second time in the last 24 hours you have implied that I'm either worked up or unrealistic, without any provoking. Cut it out already.

You called me an "a**".

If you don't like me interpreting you as "worked up", perhaps you could interpret what I say a little more kindly. I've been here forever. You should know by now I'm not actually an a**. Again, if you want to interpret what I say WAY more seriously than I intend it, that's on you. Don't make a big deal out of little stuff.

A forum for the end of the world.

You called me an "a**".

If you don't like me interpreting you as "worked up", perhaps you could interpret what I say a little more kindly. I've been here forever. You should know by now I'm not actually an a**. Again, if you want to interpret what I say WAY more seriously than I intend it, that's on you. Don't make a big deal out of little stuff.

You're being an a** again.

I've made maybe a post or two about if. You've probably posted about it 2-3 times more. Are you worked up about it?? ;)

I went slightly above normal for August in the forecast contest, fwiw.

Anyway, Jim is the one who was having issues with cursing or climate last night. Don't lump me in there. Not fair.

Like I said, he obviously expresses himself in a more extreme manner. I'm sorry if mentioning you with him felt unfair. The point was, there's a reason it bothers you both - and others, I'm sure.

Now, please stop taking what I say so personal and goddam serious!  :lol:

No matter what I say right now, you're going to interpret it that way. Catch 22!

Ok. :rolleyes:

Maybe I will start implying negative things about you in conversations you aren't even a part of, and I'll see how you take it.

Again, just cut it out. No need to overcomplicate things. It's a very simple request. :)

Aw. I hope you're not serious. I'm not. You might feel like I'm goading you, but that's really not my intent. Look at my posts. I don't go after one person. I'm not here to beat anyone up.

Sometimes I make light of absurdity. This forum has it in spades. You, me, Tim, Phil, Dewey, everyone. 

Anomalies, obsessions, preferences, model riding - it's all fair game.

Ok. :rolleyes:

Maybe I will start implying negative things about you in conversations you aren't even a part of, and I'll see how you take it.

Again, just cut it out. No need to overcomplicate things. It's a very simple request. :)

See above. Nothing new to say here.

Simple request. Cut it out. :)

You are correct, there is nothing more to say.

So, you could keep telling me to "cut it out" all night, and I could keep telling you to "stop taking everything so personal/serious". I feel that would really get us somewhere, maybe even earn us our own thread!

We've both made our point. I'm me, not going to change for you. You're you, and I won't expect you to change for me. Thank god we're not in a relationship.

• Like 1

back to talking about weather...

what's the consensus on the forecasts for this weekend? the 850s peak just as winds are the strongest, so perhaps a cap on temps on Saturday?

Looks like high fire danger for everyone regardless.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This climate can go f**k itself up, down, and sideways.

Lots of colorful posts flying around lately...

Is it just me or is it pretty hot at the Weather Forums? :P

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Fairly weak cool down on the 18Z GFS:

Sunday:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/18/namer/500_vort_ht/gfs_namer_126_500_vort_ht.gif

Monday:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/18/namer/500_vort_ht/gfs_namer_150_500_vort_ht.gif

Tuesday:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/18/namer/500_vort_ht/gfs_namer_174_500_vort_ht.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This is probably wrong and the exact opposite will happen.  :lol:

Michael Ventrice ‏@MJVentrice "Updated NMME: The NCAR CCSM4 is the only model that is predicting a cold 2016-2017 Winter Season for NA. Odds?"

Pretty much a train wreck for the entire country.  If the GFDL is right the global warming freaks will go nuts.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I was just looking at the forecast for parts of Montana late this week and the contrast between here and there is pretty interesting.

Bozeman is forecast to be 63/41 Friday while it is possibly pushing 100 here. Definitely a fallish setup with a cool, dry airmass spilling down the northern Rockies and triggering hot offshore flow for us.

We should have much lower dps with the next round of heat.  Certainly more of a late season affair.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

"Close to perfection" is your opinion, why make it sound like it's a fact instead? I personally have not been a fan of the hot temps this summer and would have much more enjoyed cooler weather

The thing that really pisses me off is the observed temps should have been lower much of the summer.  I'm fine with what the summer featured for 500mb anomalies, but the relative warmth at the surface has been frustrating.  Now of course we are entering a true warm regime and will likely over achieve all the way.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Right now we are just dealing with a wavy jet stream pattern. The fact this is occurring this early is a good sign. Right now we are seeing west coast ridging because we are still in summer and storms aren't strong enough to break through yet. This is just climatology here in the PNW. This is evident with the models trying to get a trough in here to break up the ridge but it keeps coming back. I think the ridging will finally go away sometime in mid September. I'm confident that the anomalous GOA ridge will be there for us this Winter.

Mid August to mid September can certainly be a time of endless ridges.  Usually the crash is pretty hard with the ones that last a long time.  For once I would like to see a sunny and cool pattern this time of year.  It can happen, but not recently.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

August is on pace to be near neutral. 31 month +PDO streak may finally come to an end soon.

We'll see.  I think the upcoming pattern will raise the PDO.  The surface pressure anoms over the NE Pacific will be more like last year again.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The last week of August through September wasn't especially warm last year.

Anyone remember end of August 2008? That was CHILLY and we had cold core t'storms with funnels. Don't even think 08/31 hit 60...

That whole summer was pretty warm so anything can go this point forward.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

5/8, 

The last week of August through September wasn't especially warm last year.

I'm just saying the general pattern over the NE Pacific favored positive PDO creation last year.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Very similar 83/54 here today. Actually 1 degree warmer than yesterday on both the high and low.

Highs in the low 80s and lows in the mid 50s and sunny in August... what a complete nightmare.

This climate is a joke... it can go f*ck itself up one side and down the other!   :lol:

Another busted thunderstorm forecast. Also, what happened to nocturnal convection? Seemingly so difficult nowadays to get anything going. I wish this was April/May all over again.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

5/8, 

Another busted thunderstorm forecast. Also, what happened to nocturnal convection? Seemingly so difficult nowadays to get anything going. I wish this was April/May all over again.

No way.  That would mean we would have to wait many months for winter or any chance of cold weather.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

No way.  That would mean we would have to wait many months for winter or any chance of cold weather.

Those many months are many more chances I get to dust off my cameras and get some storms ;)

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

5/8,