August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

I don't think anyone forecasted that.

The consensus was for a generally warm/ridgy spring (overall) and a cool/troughy summer (overall), with a particular emphasis on J/A/S in regards to the latter.

This has verified for the most part, localized/microscale anomalies aside. The mean 500mb height anomalies and full-column temperatures will reflect a trough in the PNW for J/A/S.

More and more riding on September...

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

For PDX based on 1981-2010 normals, September is warmer with an average high of 75.8. For June it's 73.5. Our biggest swing is the Sep to Oct period, followed by the Oct to Nov period. There is a big pattern change here that occurs. Autumn comes fast here in the PNW and you can feel it. In about 2 months our normal highs here will be in the low 60s.

Cooler lows in September, though. Much shorter days, too - less summery.

And for the Puget Sound region, where Tim lives, September temps average almost the exact same as June.

Yeah but just barely. 53.6 for June and 53.1 for September. What's interesting is that the mean maximum for PDX in June is 91.3 and in September it's 90.6 even though September averages +2.3 degrees warmer overall. So one would think June has a better chance for the hottest temperatures but that's not the case. September has reached 105 here and in June it's only 102.

Seasonal lag?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Cooler lows in September, though. Much shorter days, too - less summery.

And for the Puget Sound region, where Tim lives, September temps average almost the exact same as June.

September is usually sunnier, though, so it feels more "summery" in that way, but yeah, the lower sun angle is very noticeable. As far as averages:

BLI: 66.6/50.3 in June, 66.9/47.6 in Sep

SEA: 69.9/51.9 in June, 70.5/52.1 in Sep

OLM: 70.6/47.6 in June, 71.8/46.0 in Sep

PDX: 73.5/53.6 in June, 75.8/53.1 in Sep

SLE: 73.9/49.3 in June, 76.8/48.4 in Sep

EUG: 73.2/47.6 in June, 76.9/47.0 in Sep

So the farther south you go, the warmer September is in comparison to June. I'd say September is clearly a bit more "summery" in the Willamette Valley than June, while it's about the same for the Puget Sound (with an advantage to June when you get up to Bellingham). September also has less precip days than June at all stations other than Bellingham.

We'll be camping near Mount Adams again Thursday and Friday night. This is a big group trip with friends we've planned all year. Expecting the winds to get pretty crazy at points. Wonder if the Gifford Pinchot will be putting out a campfire ban.

• Like 1

Yeah but just barely. 53.6 for June and 53.1 for September. What's interesting is that the mean maximum for PDX in June is 91.3 and in September it's 90.6 even though September averages +2.3 degrees warmer overall. So one would think June has a better chance for the hottest temperatures but that's not the case. September has reached 105 here and in June it's only 102.

Like I said, it's a bit different when you get further north.

And there's no doubt in my mind June is capable of September's warm extremes...the 102 record at PDX is one of their weaker monthly max's. And Sep 1988 was easily the top end of what can historically occur in September. No other historical event in September has really come close (1944 was the closest). If that extreme of a pattern occurred in late June, I think it would produce very similar temps.

Like I said, it's a bit different when you get further north.

And there's no doubt in my mind June is capable of September's warm extremes...the 102 record at PDX is one of their weaker monthly max's. And Sep 1988 was easily the top end of what can historically occur in September. No other historical event in September has really come close (1944 was the closest). If that extreme of a pattern occurred in late June, I think it would produce very similar temps.

Thing is, airmasses as warm as September 1988 are generally harder to come by in June. As well as deep offshore flow driven by surface high pressure in the basin.

Thing is, airmasses as warm as September 1988 are generally harder to come by in June. As well as deep offshore flow driven by surface high pressure in the basin.

Yeah, it seems 20c+ is generally a little easier to come by in September, as is offshore flow.  Onshore flow in general tends to be weaker as the typical summertime thermal gradients begin to wane.  The biggest equalizer in September is the fact subsidence inversions become a real factor and without offshore flow a considerable amount of energy is spent breaking them despite the warmer air masses overall.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Meteorologist Mark Nelsen updated his forecast. He's going 7 degrees warmer now on Friday. He went with Friday being the coolest day to it now being the hottest day.

http://lmgcorporate.com/kptv/weather/ibs_web_7-day.jpg

Friday turned into a real wild card.  Went from looking to be the hottest day to looking to struggle to get much above 90 with an incredibly well-mixed air mass.  Now it's back to looking like the peak of the event with again the possibility of a perfect storm.  

Friday turned into a real wild card.  Went from looking to be the hottest day to looking to struggle to get much above 90 with an incredibly well-mixed air mass.  Now it's back to looking like the peak of the event with again the possibility of a perfect storm.  

NWS is still forecasting Friday as having the strongest winds, but we get to 103. The well mixed air mass is hot top to bottom.

Nights around 60 should feel like a pleasant reprieve.

They're very hard to come by in September. Which is why 1988 blows away any other event after Aug 17 in the airport era.

That event was as extreme and rare as they come. Look at it this way: PDX has hit 100 twice in September: 1988 and 1944. They've hit 100 six times in June.

NWS is still forecasting Friday as having the strongest winds, but we get to 103. The well mixed air mass is hot top to bottom.

Nights around 60 should feel like a pleasant reprieve.

A set up like this can bring about a gap wind as well, basically a hot version of a backdoor cold snap. The models edged away from that scenario but a very well mixed air mass from start to finish on Friday would take a little edge off the highs in the metro area.

Love the roller coaster coming up.  I don't mind extreme quick hitting heatwaves that crash and burn as fast as they arrived.   The WRF shows it going from 90s in the lowlands around Seattle on Saturday to freezing nighttime temps in the North Cascades by Monday morning!

Meanwhile very pleasant here with a temp of 79.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

October is the single most important month for providing clues for the following winter. All others pale in comparison.

I've personally found higher correlations/anticorrelations in November.

Also, there are many years where October provided no predictive value for DJF whatsoever.

Love the roller coaster coming up.  I don't mind extreme quick hitting heatwaves that crash and burn as fast as they arrived.   The WRF shows it going from 90s in the lowlands around Seattle on Saturday to freezing nighttime temps in the North Cascades by Monday morning!

Meanwhile very pleasant here with a temp of 79.

Big roller coaster.    ;)

A couple very warm days... then back to maybe a little above normal... and then probably a little more above normal.   

Doesn't it normally stay in the mid to upper 90s for all of the second half of August and September?  

And remember... this climate sucks beyond comprehension.  Loathe it right?       Don't be praising anything here.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I've personally found higher correlations/anticorrelations in November.

Also, there are many years where October provided no predictive value for DJF whatsoever.

No month is perfect. But I've shown my work before...October is the best bet overall, at least for the PNW/West.

The last couple Octobers certainly did nothing to disprove this hypothesis.  ;)

Big roller coaster.    ;)

A couple very warm days... then back to maybe a little above normal... and then probably a little more above normal.   

Doesn't it normally stay in the mid to upper 90s for all of the second half of August and September?  

And remember... this climate sucks beyond comprehension.  Loathe it right?       Don't be praising anything here.   

Classic Tim. Just can't resist.

• Like 3

Yeah, it seems 20c+ is generally a little easier to come by in September, as is offshore flow. Onshore flow in general tends to be weaker as the typical summertime thermal gradients begin to wane. The biggest equalizer in September is the fact subsidence inversions become a real factor and without offshore flow a considerable amount of energy is spent breaking them despite the warmer air masses overall.

Indeed. I know September gets a lot of flack for being boring, but I find it to be a fascinating month because of dynamics like this. Summer's ghost.

• Like 1

Indeed. I know September gets a lot of flack for being boring, but I find it to be a fascinating month because of dynamics like this. Summer's ghost.

September on the east slopes is much like May, without the storms.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 22
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Classic Tim. Just can't resist.

Ha! He goes on a typical Jim rant and then the next day is praising our weather. I would say he welcomed some ridicule. :)

I hope we get another Indian Summer in early October. Really looking forward to a few days I jump from 28 and freezing fog to 80+ and clear. ;)

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 22
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 5/15, 

Severe storms: 2