August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

September 2013 was the wettest ever and that December it hit -10 in Eugene...Hmmmm....

A good chunk of that precip was from the t'storms on the 5th if I recall correctly. If all of it were frontal precip, different scenario.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

You weren't referencing Dewey's post, you were referencing Jim's post and being typical Tim.

So the same posts were not made at the beginning of August? Dewey's response was valid too. Double standard to protect the sensibilities of anyone who likes cold as to do.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I've noticed the Tim hatred has been kicked up a couple notches, at least since the last time I was a regular here. Its interesting. I don't think he's changed that much over the years.

It really comes down to:

1) His obsession with Jim, and refuting all Jim-isms (Dewey, supposedly above the fray, has called him out on this many times).

2) His passive aggressive attempts to get under other people's skin - in certain cases succeeding all too well.

3) You missed it, but for about 6 weeks this summer, an epically ridiculous debate raged between him and Phil. Even in our heyday, Justin and I never approached these levels.

A forum for the end of the world.

Same weather over here... but it will all change for arrival home tomorrow. :)

92 at SEA at 5 p.m.

Yeah I will be freezing when I get home tomorrow evening...looking at all the "mega trough 2016" posts I might not be putting my jetski back in the water at the lake house...I did after last years late Aug trip east and never did ride it again before pulling it out again and winterizing in late September.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Why bellyache so much when he does? They're just eggs. Chickens and dinosaurs will lay more of them.

It's a weather forum, but yet half of the posts come from one member who has an agenda to piss certain people off. This doesn't fly on any other forum, so why does it here?

Why bellyache so much when he does? They're just eggs. Chickens and dinosaurs will lay more of them.

I guess if you wanted to get really crazy you could also imagine the complaints about him to be eggshells that you should/could easily avoid stepping on and bellyaching about. :)

Could keep going and going with that analogy.

• Like 1

Its funny but after 6/5 I totally thought we had blown our load for the summer.

Since there is a high probability of a wave or two in late summer, statements like this usually don't make sense and hold no water. Regardless if we have an early start to summer or not, never think summer will just up and disappear.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

It's a weather forum, but yet half of the posts come from one member who has an agenda to piss certain people off. This s**t doesn't fly on any other forum, so why does it here?

BS.

Nature has done a good job of that in recent years. Not in my control.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You're the bastard behind the keyboard, it's 100% in your control

Really? I guess I need to start reporting you again if you want to do this crap. You want this to be a cold circle jerk? How boring.

It really comes down to:

1) His obsession with Jim, and refuting all Jim-isms (Dewey, supposedly above the fray, has called him out on this many times).

2) His passive aggressive attempts to get under other people's skin - in certain cases succeeding all too well.

3) You missed it, but for about 6 weeks this summer, an epically ridiculous debate raged between him and Phil.

I caught parts of it. Even when I don't post, I still usually check in once in a while.

And I totally understand why people react the way they do to Tim. It just seems like they tolerate his style even less these days...maybe the years are adding more and more weight, like in a bad marriage.  :lol:

• Like 1

Anyhow, glad this stretch is ending. I'm kind of numb to warm records these days. On to some more interesting weather!

Yup, onto windstorms, downpours, and more dehydrating beverages! :P

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

I caught parts of it. Even when I don't post, I still usually check in once in a while.

And I totally understand why people react the way they do to Tim. It just seems like they tolerate his style even less these days...maybe the years are adding more and more weight, like in a bad marriage.  :lol:

Phil stuff should have all been in another thread. That was both of us.

Since there is a high probability of a wave or two in late summer, statements like this usually don't make sense and hold no water. Regardless if we have an early start to summer or not, never think summer will just up and disappear.

It can happen. See 1983. Just like this year, it hit 100 ridiculously early but then stayed relatively cool afterward.

I had that vibe about this summer, since we were also transitioning out of a strong Nino. But obviously vibes don't count for much in the world of science. 

• Like 1

And I totally understand why people react the way they do to Tim. It just seems like they tolerate his style even less these days...maybe the years are adding more and more weight, like in a bad marriage. :lol:

He's upped the ante a bit recently. I think you have been on during a period of relatively better behavior, he was getting pretty bad a week or so ago.

Personally I've found that ignoring him is the best option, but it's hard when people quote his posts! :lol:

I guess if you wanted to get really crazy you could also imagine the complaints about him to be eggshells that you should/could easily avoid stepping on and bellyaching about. :)

Could keep going and going with that analogy.

Just like with the weather, there's more questions than answers.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

It can happen. See 1983. Just like this year, it hit 100 ridiculously early but then stayed relatively cool afterward.

I had that vibe about this summer, since we were also transitioning out of a strong Nino. But obviously vibes don't count for much in the world of science. 

I'm aware of 1983, however summers like that are rare and shouldn't be expected. Once again law of averages Trump all. ;)

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

Really? I guess I need to start reporting you again if you want to do this crap. You want this to be a cold circle jerk? How boring.

The fact that you think you spice this place up for the better doesn't even surprise me. Reading through the forums isn't enjoyable with you posting

And I totally understand why people react the way they do to Tim. It just seems like they tolerate his style even less these days...maybe the years are adding more and more weight, like in a bad marriage. :lol:

Yeah, that's probably a valid analogy for some. :lol:

Tim circa 2010-2011 was probably his worst. He's improved somewhat since then, but no one really knows if he's changed, or it's just been the string of warm, sunny years.

That's his cue to point out what an angel he was in winter 2015-16, despite how endlessly wet/miserable it was. Apparently he didn't complain one bit, though now he constantly has to point out what he was enduring without complaint.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

He's upped the ante a bit recently. I think you have been on during a period of relatively better behavior, he was getting pretty bad a week or so ago.

Personally I've found that ignoring him is the best option, but it's hard when people quote his posts! :lol:

He's been relatively good the last 10 days or so. Not worth jumping on.

We should definitely have a daily Tim neurosis index for all forum members to utilize. 

• Like 2

The constant innocent act is the thing that makes it hardest to stomach.

You make a great point. Tim acting innocent seems more forced than organic, he doesn't mean it. He has just figured out another way to make himself feel better about what he does and when in all actuality, to me, is harder to stomach on this forum than how he used to be.

Also, Tim's infatuation with Jim is borderline psychotic if not fully, so sad....

• Like 3

A good chunk of that precip was from the t'storms on the 5th if I recall correctly. If all of it were frontal precip, different scenario.

Yeah about half the precip was on one day in Eugene thanks to the thunderstorms. Later in the month we got hit by potent typhoon remnant(s) which provided a thorough soaking as well. September 2013-December 2013 was awesome. After that, not so much.

Anyway, we just don't see months like Eugene had in September 2013 very often in the PNW.

• Like 1

You make a great point. Tim acting innocent seems more forced than organic, he doesn't mean it. He has just figured out another way to make himself feel better about what he does and when in all actuality, to me, is harder to stomach on this forum than how he used to be.

Also, Tim's infatuation with Jim is borderline psychotic if not fully, so sad....

Jim and I actually get along way better than you and Mack indicate. Sad that it has to be presented in such a way.

Jim and I actually get along way better than you and Mack indicate. Sad that it has to be presented in such a way.

All we see is what you do on this forum, and it does not indicate you guys get along. The sad part is most of us can see a post from Jim and we know that within minutes, sometimes seconds you usually comment on it tearing him down because you don't agree, so sad.... you have been doing it for years.

• Like 1

All we see is what you do on this forum, and it does not indicate you guys get along. The sad part is most of us can see a post from Jim and we know that within minutes, sometimes seconds you usually comment on it tearing him down because you don't agree, so sad.... you have been doing it for years.

Not true at all. Only when it makes sense to challenge. Many posts are never mentioned or I agree with as well. And never hateful. I really like him personally and he knows that.

No way! I am hoping for a fun winter.

You mean three days of cold weather surrounded by months of rain? The kind of fun winter you usually viciously mock when you aren't trying to manipulate people into thinking you're an innocent little fawn? :lol:

• Like 1

You mean three days of cold weather surrounded by months of rain? The kind of fun winter you usually viciously mock when you aren't trying to manipulate people into thinking you're an innocent little fawn? :lol:

No... the frequent offshore flow events type of winter. With the occasional cold and snow fun for all. Actually more fun for me when low elevation members get nailed.

Yeah about half the precip was on one day in Eugene thanks to the thunderstorms. Later in the month we got hit by potent typhoon remnant(s) which provided a thorough soaking as well. September 2013-December 2013 was awesome. After that, not so much.

Anyway, we just don't see months like Eugene had in September 2013 very often in the PNW.

What about February 2014?

• Like 1

What about February 2014?

Ah yes, the time where all of the lowlands got 5x more snow in 1 day than I had the entire winter in K-Falls.. :P

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"