August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

I was completely off-base. I was completely wrong. I has no basis for my interpretation. What else do you want?

You posted excitedly and with strong, dramatic language about the developing Nina and I interpreted that to mean a strong Nina was coming. I don't care about the timing of events.

I showed you the posts that led me to my incorrect conclusion.

You called for a strong Niña, which excited me and caused me to be overly dramatic.

:rolleyes:

You called for a strong Niña, which excited me and caused me to be overly dramatic.

:rolleyes:

OK.   That is what happened.    Sure.    Lets go with that.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I said its my fault and I take the blame... what else do you want?

Just don't blame me for your forecast busts, that's all I'm asking.

I'm obviously not the reason you were forecasting a strong Niña, because you were already predicting that before the posts in question even existed. :)

Though I'm not surprised you two would fail to pick up what should be obvious and straightforward, you should know that my posts on the IO had nothing to do with the ENSO progression, there wasn't even a hint of me suggesting otherwise.

You were predicting a strong Niña well in advance of that. Unless you can find ENSO-related posts preceding that forecast, your claim is baseless.

There you go again.  ;)

So, let me get this straight.

I'm not allowed to label an ENSO cooling of greater than 1.5C over 8 weeks a "crash", because Tim might accidently misinterpret that as me forecasting a strong Niña? Despite me having explicitly stated otherwise?

I don't know why I still post here. This is beyond ridiculous.

You can always take a break. 

• Like 1

There you go again. ;)

How can I possibly come to any other conclusion? Really?

You and Tim are the only people that were somehow "duped" by my (nonexistent) drama regarding the ENSO evolution, despite me having explicitly stated that I wasn't forecast a strong Niña.

Are you a scientific minded human being who thinks for himself?

How can I possibly come to any other conclusion? Really?

You and Tim are the only people that were somehow "duped" by my (nonexistent) drama regarding the ENSO evolution, despite me having explicitly stated that I wasn't forecast a strong Niña.

Are you a scientific minded human being who thinks for himself?

You are the expert.   Remember that when using dramatic language.   It can lead people astray.   You have a reputation here of doing that for years.   Just something to work on.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You may have not forecasted them, but your interpretation of the models at the time and thinking their face value would translate to anomalies of that magnitude was pretty outlandish. Even Big Mac, your west coast surrogate, I'm sure scoffed at that one.

There are many members here who translate the models knowing full well they won't verify as shown. The whole -10 topic to me was just a sign of cooler weather ahead, never expected that kind of negative departure to actually occur.

Looking at his call from a 500mb perspective, he was absolutely correct. From a micro climate perspective, not as much.

• Like 2

12z Euro does look a little dangerous at day 10.

Yes... if that trough digs out into the Bering Sea we might be able to pump up a ridge here and savor a little more summer.      :)

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls09/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls09-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-bfFWRb.png

Why put the brakes on when you have Tim continuing to push?

Tim could shoot me in the head, and WxStuntman would still find a way to justify it. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Looks like the 12Z GFS is trying to follow Tim's schedule, bringing summer back after the 10th of the month.

GFS is reverting back to an El Nino like circulation in the tropics in the long range, resulting in the depicted 500mb pattern. As of now, GFS is the only model currently showing this reversal

• Like 2

There are many members here who translate the models knowing full well they won't verify as shown. The whole -10 topic to me was just a sign of cooler weather ahead, never expected that kind of negative departure to actually occur.

Looking at his call from a 500mb perspective, he was absolutely correct. From a micro climate perspective, not as much.

It was hyperbole fueled by a lack of intimate knowledge of our climate.

An example of two areas where he needs work, beside the tendency to hurl personal insults when he feels discredited.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

It was hyperbole fueled by a lack of intimate knowledge of our climate.

An example of two areas where he needs work, beside the tendency to hurl personal insults when he feels discredited.

Yes, maybe he needs to work on his filter a bit. However, debating with Tim can be very infuriating. We all know that

• Like 2

Tim isn't the only one pushing. And Phil is the one personally insulting people.

Tim has thrown more insults at me today than I have to him. He's made all the accusations, actually.

You just have some stupid little vendetta against me.

• Like 1

Tim has thrown more insults at me today than I have to him. He's made all the accusations, actually.

You just have some stupid little vendetta against me.

:lol:

Oversimplifying things.

There is a difference between normal warm ups and cool downs and the nauseatingly persistent warm anomalies we have seen the past 2.5 years.

I get it.

I have a feeling it will indeed warm up however.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Yes... if that trough digs out into the Bering Sea we might be able to pump up a ridge here and savor a little more summer.       :)

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls09/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls09-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-bfFWRb.png

Looks more likely to retrograde again to me.

A forum for the end of the world.

Looks more likely to retrograde again to me.

Certainly possible.   No way of knowing.

Unless Matt is now in control of the global weather patterns?    If so... he should get his act in gear here!  

God Almighty... is this a weather board or a battle to see who is more stubborn? Here, I'll try to fix this since you guys don't want to:

Tim is stubborn, doesn't want to admit he is wrong. Will continue to point out/insult the other for inconsistencies.

Phil is stubborn, doesn't want to admit he is wrong. Will continue to point out/insult the other for inconsistencies.

Is there such a thing as 'agree to disagree' with you guys, or will you continue this pissing match for the foreseeable future?

I mean, we are heading into September. There should be more things to talk about than who-said-what-when about a summer that is already over. Don't you guys have a board specifically for this sh*t?? I think arguing for 3+ pages is enough. Move on.

This.

Let's wrap up the pissing match or move it over here...

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php/topic/1371-the-tim-and-phil-thread/

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"