August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

63 now.

That would be as impossible and unprecedented as a coolish October following a coolish September.

This may indeed be this fall's Picasso. October on the other hand may end up being some random wall art from Ross.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Low of only 60 at AST this morning.

Someone needs to spearhead an investigation if they haven't already.

Phil is on a Delta flight westbound over Lincoln, NE right now to do just that. That and visit his droves of family members living in the Space Needle's basement.

• Like 3

Long range la la land shows snow for parts of the middle of the US around the 12th. That was the 6Z though.

Not the 12Z ECMWF

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls19/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls19-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-T9saia.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The ground is nearly wet! Been spitting off and on for the last few hours. Looks like 20 muddy dog paws from here on out!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Long range la la land shows snow for parts of the middle of the US around the 12th. That was the 6Z though.

Noob question here....Do the different model runs (i.e. 6z vs 12z) focus on different aspects of the forecast, or analyze the data in a different way?  I ask because over my year or so of lurking on this forum I have noticed a few times where someone would mention an unusual characteristic or outlier for a given model run, to which someone will reply "oh that because its the 6z run" 

I read into it that the model run in question is (presumably) programmed with a specific bias.

I have't quite been able to tell if it's sarcasm or a genuine observation as there is rarely follow up dialogue.  

Noob question here....Do the different model runs (i.e. 6z vs 12z) focus on different aspects of the forecast, or analyze the data in a different way? I ask because over my year or so of lurking on this forum I have noticed a few times where someone would mention an unusual characteristic or outlier for a given model run, to which someone will reply "oh that because its the 6z run"

I read into it that the model run in question is (presumably) programmed with a specific bias.

I have't quite been able to tell if it's sarcasm or a genuine observation as there is rarely follow up dialogue.

The different runs of each model run data the same. The 6z and 18z GFS use slightly older data so their is a belief they may be inherently less reliable. There is no specific reason either run can't be accurate however.

• Like 1

The CFSv2 shows a Clinton victory.

The CFS and latest ECMWF weeklies are really warm from mid-September through mid-October (never had access to these models).

On the flip side... the 12Z ECMWF shows SEA below 70 for the next 10 days.   Also shows PDX below 70 until Sunday and then only low 70s after that time.

Last year SEA was in the 60s for 8 consecutive days beginning on 8/30.     And the rest of September did not torch last year.   It was basically normal for the remainder of September.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The CFS and latest ECMWF weeklies are really warm from mid-September through mid-October (never had access to these models).

On the flip side... the 12Z ECMWF shows SEA below 70 for the next 10 days. Also shows PDX below 70 until Sunday and then only low 70s after that time.

Last year SEA was in the 60s for 8 consecutive days beginning on 8/30. And the rest of September did not torch last year. It was basically normal for the remainder of September.

Thought it was supposed to be 80 on Monday?

The different runs of each model run data the same. The 6z and 18z GFS use slightly older data so their is a belief they may be inherently less reliable. There is no specific reason either run can't be accurate however.

I believe I've seen it a couple places that the 6z and 18z are slightly less accurate. But I think it really depends on the pattern and how fast things are changing.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Thought it was supposed to be 80 on Monday?

I agreed it was probably too warm.   

And the models have changed .   :)

Maybe its still 10 degrees too high??!