August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Pretty crazy they will make it through July and August with no sub-70 highs. There were ample opportunities.

I wouldn't call it crazy since it was a fairly warm summer overall and the coolest period was during what is typically the peak.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I wouldn't call it crazy since it was a fairly warm summer overall and the coolest period was during what is typically the peak.

There were a couple days that came pretty close and for all practical purposes shouldn't have hit it. My point was it's not like we saw a summer that lacked opportunities.

There were a couple days that came pretty close and for all practical purposes shouldn't have hit it. My point was it's not like we saw a summer that lacked opportunities.

I think I have had at least 4 or 5 sub-70 days since July 1. That extra latitude goes an extremely long ways if you're a summer cold enthusiast.

I think I have had at least 4 or 5 sub-70 days since July 1. That extra latitude goes an extremely long ways if you're a summer cold enthusiast.

69 at SEA today.   They managed to do it.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

If they shouldn't have hit it they wouldn't have.

Even the last two summers each had a sub-70 haven because we got what we typically need for it. Rain.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Exactly.

Turn that map over and it's an east-based event.

I wonder if Eleven could vouch that for us!?

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Pretty crazy they will make it through July and August with no sub-70 highs. There were ample opportunities.

If we can re-establish cold troughing in the July 1-10 and August 20-31 periods, we'll be back in business. This was the 4th straight summer without any real cold troughing in those periods, at least not enough to bring sub-70 highs to PDX.

• Like 1

Looks like for winter fans, the important stuff begins in ~ 10 days.

Over the next two weeks, the polar-stratospheric circulation will make the seasonal flip from its summer mode (anticyclonic/high) to its winter mode (cyclonic/polar vortex). http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=nhem&pkg=Tz10&runtime=2016083118&fh=18&xpos=0&ypos=83

Once the cold season PV develops (mid-September) we'll have to watch how the dynamic between the troposphere and stratosphere unfolds and/or changes, as this can often provide clues as to the behaviors we'll observe during the winter.

• Like 1

So Sunday appears to be the next dry day around the Puget Sound? I can't put off staining our new fence much longer

Take exactly as shown on the 12Z ECMWF... Sunday and Monday are dry for the Puget Sound region but quite cool.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Stranger things have happened...

Glad someone got the reference!  :)

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

So Sunday appears to be the next dry day around the Puget Sound? I can't put off staining our new fence much longer.

You had all of those dry days and now a few wet days come and you're screwed? :lol:

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Pretty remarkable SEA had 11 below normal days this month, and yet the month ended up being one of the warmer Augusts on record.  No easy trick.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looks like for winter fans, the important stuff begins in ~ 10 days.

Over the next two weeks, the polar-stratospheric circulation will make the seasonal flip from its summer mode (anticyclonic/high) to its winter mode (cyclonic/polar vortex). http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=nhem&pkg=Tz10&runtime=2016083118&fh=18&xpos=0&ypos=83

Once the cold season PV develops (mid-September) we'll have to watch how the dynamic between the troposphere and stratosphere unfolds and/or changes, as this can often provide clues as to the behaviors we'll observe during the winter.

Back when I was interested in the LRC (reoccurring cycles), the "new" cycle would always set up around September... guess the changing PV is what they were referring to. Thanks for the info

• Like 1

You had all of those dry days and now a few wet days come and you're screwed? :lol:

Yes! I was too busy enjoying the sun and warmth with my family in my rare down time! At least the grass finally slowed down so I don't have to mow constantly!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

But didn't you just say this AM that PDX shouldn't hit 70 today? ;)

I recall him saying it would be a fluke if they did.

I would define a fluke as a day where they really shouldn't have (several things working against it) but they still did. There have been a handful of such days this summer.

Back when I was interested in the LRC (reoccurring cycles), the "new" cycle would always set up around September... guess the changing PV is what they were referring to. Thanks for the info

And by October it's well established. Which is why that month can be telling for the following winter.

A forum for the end of the world.

Pretty remarkable SEA had 11 below normal days this month, and yet the month ended up being one of the warmer Augusts on record.  No easy trick.

Please don't be displaying that picture over and over with every post.  Make it your avatar.   Having that pic show up so large with every post is just screeeeeaaaaaaming jinx for this winter as well.    :lol:

Almost as annoying as Andrew having endless stats from his house in his signature. 

You're welcome. Hoping to avoid another raging +NAM/+EPO, coupled to the mesopause like early last winter. That was ugly stuff right there.

And by October it's well established. Which is why that month can be telling for the following winter.

Sometimes the winter waveguide will organize earlier, in early/mid September, usually in years where the hemispheric wavenumber is lower than average. In other years, it'll take until November, usually in years where the hemispheric wavenumber is higher than average.

Sometimes the winter waveguide will organize earlier, in early/mid September, usually in years where the hemispheric wavenumber is lower than average. In other years, it'll take until November, usually in years where the hemispheric wavenumber is higher than average.

Yeah, I guess what I meant was usually the wave pattern is established by October.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Yeah, I guess what I meant was usually the wave pattern is established by October.

I agree. I wouldn't want to rely solely on the October tendencies in extrapolation, though.

In years like 2012-13, for example, entire system was unstable and/or in transition through boreal winter, so we never really managed a dominant waveguide that winter. The pattern swung differently every month until A/M/J that spring/summer, when that notorious wave-3 pattern set in for the next 2 years.

Regarding my above post, I'm concerned this be another "unstable" year, where the tropics and higher latitudes/external forcings won't coherently resonate. In other words, seasonal scale unpredictability might be quite high, and the pattern might fluctuate frequently.