August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

September has actually overtaken June in terms of average temp @ PDX between the 1961-90 and 1981-10 baselines. Its not necessarily the same story on Vancouver Island. 

September is still capable of being colder than June though especially on min temps.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

They both have their strengths and weaknesses. 

Look, I've laid into Tim plenty of times. He has a much less blunt way of attacking people than Phil, no doubt, and still very irritating. But whatever, we've seen what happens with they both narrow their sites on each other. I think they'll learn from that. And we'll all be better for it.

Unless wxstatman decides a repeat is in order.

attachicon.gifdownload (1).jpg

At least with Phil, he is fairly up front with his attacks. Not to excuse him, he needs to get better at taking criticism and learning humility if he's going to last here, but at least if he calls you a brainless sh*thead you have something to work with.

With Tim it is subtle, underhanded, pervasive and constant, delivered under a permanent guise of mock innocence. Very passive aggressive.

Kind of like comparing getting mauled by a grizzly to a slow, months long bout of chinese water torture. :lol:

• Like 2

I'm still not totally sold on the warmer pattern being shown after September 10.  Still tons of potential for that 150 ridge to amplify unexpectedly around a week from now.  It could easily go either way.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

At least with Phil, he is fairly up front with his attacks. Not to excuse him, he needs to get better at taking criticism and learning humility if he's going to last here, but at least if he calls you a brainless sh*thead you have something to work with. With Tim it is subtle, underhanded, pervasive and constant, delivered under a constant guise of mock innocence. Very passive aggressive.

Kind of like comparing getting mauled by a grizzly to a slow, months long bout of chinese water torture. :lol:

Nailed it.  :lol:

A forum for the end of the world.

The fake attempts to objectively "critique" my personality, the intentional mischaracterizations, the strawman arguments, etc..I could go on.

Would you call me a "rampaging animal" to my face? Given the fact you don't even know me personally?

I disagree with the first line. The answer to the second line is no, because I didn't call you a rampaging animal. I said you're the equivalent of a rampaging animal in this forum. That's how I see you right now. Now, if I felt you were acting that way in a live group conversation (actually insulting people to their faces) I would probably say it in that setting as well. Although chances are, the group would have cleared out by that point because nobody would want to talk to you. 

Whoa, whoa, whoa. September is now the third summer month, didn't you hear? Left June in the dust.

Seriously, I still say June 15 to Sep 15 is the PNW summer per long term climatology, and I'll beat my chest with machismo at anyone who disagrees.

I like those dates.  To me, hot days feel less summery in the second half of September.  Shorter days and longer and cooler evenings.  June is still warmer than September here and I believe Shawnigan has only hit 90 once after Sept 15th.  In fact, May has a higher all-time monthly maximum than September. 

I'm still not totally sold on the warmer pattern being shown after September 10.  Still tons of potential for that 150 ridge to amplify unexpectedly around a week from now.  It could easily go either way.

Definitely not outside the realm of possibility. There are many cool ensemble members at that range.

@ Phil and wx_statman- that's enough with the off topic comments. This is a weather and climate forum lets stick to that subject area and drop the rest now or I will continue to delete posts. 

If you have something further to say take it to PM. Other members don't want to keep reading these off topic posts including myself.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

So, you claim you're not "critiquing" me or building strawmen, yet that's exactly what you just did in this post. :lol:

Again, thanks for proving my point for me. You're making this quite easy.

No.

Look, we're clearly not going to get anywhere with this. I've had enough of you for one day.

@ Phil and wx_statman- that's enough with the off topic comments. This is a weather and climate forum lets stick to that subject area and drop the rest now or I will continue to delete posts. 

If you have something further to say take it to PM. Other members don't want to keep reading these off topic posts including myself.

I agree. I'm here to talk about the weather. 

• Like 2

On that note - probably about time to start a September discussion. Only 24 hours left for this month.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

They certainly aren't identical months. June tends to be a steadier climb from spring into summer, while September can be either a long extension of it, or a quick descent into fall.

I love me a September like 2007. No readings above the mid-70s after the 11th. That month put me into a winter mood like no other September that I can recall. 

• Like 1

The temp has already fallen to the mid 50s here which has been the low temperature many days this summer.  Nice to see it get there before midnight.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The temp has already fallen to the mid 50s here which has been the low temperature many days this summer.  Nice to see it get there before midnight.

That's what it is here too. 56°

Mercer Island, 350 ft

FWIW my NE Pacific surface pressure index ended up the highest ever for any June - August back to 1948.  A few of the really high years include 1948, 1955, 1985, and 2010.  All winters that featured major Arctic blasts in the NW.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

If only statman's name was Ned, this would be too perfect. Clearly a cinematic premonition of their eventually meeting...

I lol'ed. :lol:

Needed that one, thanks.

Amazing how different it feels tonight.  The summer feel is gone.

The ECMWF looks pretty promising for it stay cool well into the month.  Looking possible we may get into a sunny regime with chilly nights and slightly below normal days as we get into the 6 to 10 day time frame.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9