September 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Would you like him to post a map of January 1950 anomalies next, in case you didn't know about that month?

It was just kind of a d****** thing to say. Not to mention the comment reeked of placism (discrimination against those in a different place/location than you). Close relative to xenophobia.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Believe it or not, some people look beyond a few local stations when studying past weather.

What's your point? How does this relate to my referencing of 1942-43 as a potential pattern analog to 2016-17? Did you read anything I was saying?

Sounds like you're trying to start a fight with me.

It just cracked me up. January 1943 brought the all-time single day snowfall record to PDX along with a low of 3F. Its not like that month is a mystery to anyone who pays attention.

I wasn't aware it was THAT good there.  It was good up here, but not quite so snowy.  Clearbrook had an insane 5 / -3 day that month.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Thanks for the maps Phil!

Maybe instead of running your mouth, you should put together a winter forecast of your own? Live up to your talk.

I don't care as much as you apparently. I just want to discuss weather instead of having someone try and speak on behalf of me about what I want to see.

I'd ignore him, honestly. He's had this stupid gradeschool-esque vendetta against me for awhile now.

• Like 1

This comment came off like you didn't even know what January 1943 had accomplished in the PNW, in the northern Rockies, and in western Canada from BC to MB. 

Looks like January of 1943 was interesting for the NW, at least in terms of temperatures and 500mb departures.

You have to understand this sort of comment comes off as grating to someone who has studied this stuff for 20+ years. Know your audience.

You have to understand this sort of comment comes off as grating to someone who has studied this stuff for 20+ years. Know your audience.

This audience? :lol:

Seems like you just have personal issues.

I wasn't aware it was THAT good there. It was good up here, but not quite so snowy. Clearbrook had an insane 5 / -3 day that month.

This was a little uncalled for honestly

Yes we do. Talk for yourself.

It was just kind of a d****** thing to say. Not to mention the comment reeked of placism (discrimination against those in a different place/location than you). Close relative to xenophobia.

You also completely missed the point of my argument. Just FWIW.

The 0z GFS ensemble has picked up on a good shot of chilly air on the 30th now.  Kind of supports the idea of ending the month with some Canadian air like some models runs have shown.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

And yet you're the one who talks smack every time I question you.

You didn't "question" me, you simply mocked the 500mb reanalyses I was sharing to provide simple insight on pattern progression.

What's funny is you probably don't even understand what geopotential heights are, or what they represent. :lol:

Nice little late September ridge popping on the 0Z Euro.  Right on schedule. 

Most runs have picked up on this and then quickly retrograde it.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Nice little late September ridge popping on the 0Z Euro. Right on schedule.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2016091800/ecmwf_z500a_namer_9.png

Colorful maps?? We don't need those here. You obviously know nothing about PNW weather..know your audience!!

:lol:

You're such a tool.

So, are you going to make a seasonal forecast?

I'm sure everyone here would be quite interested in hearing your thoughts, given your incredible, unmatched wisdom in the realm of PNW weather. :)

This comment came off like you didn't even know what January 1943 had accomplished in the PNW, in the northern Rockies, and in western Canada from BC to MB. 

You are a part of an audience. The job of participants in the audience is to contribute when they can. Just because you have studied for 20+ years doesn't mean I as a hobbyist has. It's like if I go to a talk for HTML as a web developer by profession. (My profession is web development) It might annoy me to see or hear talks about trivial things, but it's my choice and others don't know everything about it. I have looked at 1950 for my area and surrounding areas in the past. I know how impressive that year was. I won't be grated or annoyed if someone posts a colorful map reminding me how great it was.

• Like 1

You are a part of an audience. The job of participants in the audience is to contribute when they can. Just because you have studied for 20+ years doesn't mean I as a hobbyist has. It's like if I go to a talk for HTML as a web developer by profession. (My profession is web development) It might annoy me to see or hear talks about trivial things, but it's my choice and others don't know everything about it. I have looked at 1950 for my area and surrounding areas in the past. I know how impressive that year was. I won't be grated or annoyed if someone posts a colorful map reminding me how great it was.

I understand what you're saying.

• Like 1

It seems like you're the one who misunderstood what I was talking about.

Since you're obviously struggling, here's a hint.

I wasn't trying to educate anyone about the winter of 1942-43 in the PNW. Rather, I was discussing the broad similarities (in circulation and pattern progression) between 1942 and 2016, utilizing SSTAs and 500mb heights in the process.

Get it? I'm not a historian, local climatologist, or a mesoscale meteorologist. I'm studying atmospheric science on a seasonal to decadal+ timescale. This is where my graduate/postgraduate studies will be largely confined.

• Like 1

Since you're obviously struggling, here's a hint. I wasn't trying to educate anyone about the winter of 1942-43 in the PNW. Rather, I was discussing the overall similarities (in circulation and pattern progression) between 1942 and 2016, utilizing SSTAs and 500mb heights in the process.

Get it?

You're still not getting it. But that's OK. 

Since you're obviously struggling, here's a hint.

I wasn't trying to educate anyone about the winter of 1942-43 in the PNW. Rather, I was discussing the broad similarities (in circulation and pattern progression) between 1942 and 2016, utilizing SSTAs and 500mb heights in the process.

Get it? I'm not a historian, local climatologist, or a mesoscale meteorologist. I'm studying atmospheric science on a seasonal to decadal+ timescale. This is where my graduate/postgraduate studies will be largely confined.

You literally edit every single post after you make it. Its annoying.

Say what you gotta say, dude. Then stick with it.  :lol:

• Like 1

You're still not getting it. But that's OK.

I described January 1943 as if I had no idea what it accomplished in the PNW (which is true, I was completely oblivious).

This is still completely irrelevant to what I discussing. I was looking at pattern tendencies in years with similar ENSO/QBO configurations, noting that 1942, up to now at least, has featured several notable similarities on the large scale, whether it be the hemispheric wavenumber, SST configuration, or low frequency general pattern tendencies.

I don't understand why this is so difficult for you to grasp.

Yeah, I described January 1943 as if I had no idea what it accomplished in the PNW (which is true, I was completely oblivious).

This is still completely irrelevant to what I discussing. I was looking at pattern tendencies in years with similar ENSO/QBO configurations, noting that 1942, up to now at least, has featured several notable similarities on the large scale, whether it be the hemispheric wavenumber, SST configuration, or low frequency general pattern tendencies.

I don't understand why this is so difficult for you to grasp.

And I don't understand why you think that it is. 

Calm down. You actually had a good post until you EDITED it and added that last sentence. 

No doubt the day 10 ECMWF is headed the right direction at day 10 after a brief ridge.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I described January 1943 as if I had no idea what it accomplished in the PNW (which is true, I was completely oblivious).

Now I'm going to reply to this post as it looked before your editing jitters got the best of you.

Thanks for admitting that you didn't know anything about January 1943. I appreciate that. In the future you can always throw out "how was that month in the PNW?" when you make posts about months that you're not sure about. You'll get replies, whether from me or from someone else. 

I wasn't talking about your analysis at all. You can do that all you like. That stuff is actually interesting.  :)

And I don't understand why you think that it is.

Calm down. You actually had a good post until you EDITED it and added that last sentence.

You sure I'm the one that needs to calm down? You were just called out by multiple individuals for throwing a temper tantrum over my benign naïveté in the realm of PNW weather history.

Now I'm going to reply to this post as it looked before your editing jitters got the best of you.

Thanks for admitting that you didn't know anything about January 1943. I appreciate that. In the future you can always throw out "how was that month in the PNW?" when you make posts about months that you're not sure about. You'll get replies, whether from me or from someone else.

I wasn't talking about your analysis at all. You can do that all you like. That stuff is actually interesting. :)

I never claimed to know anything about January 1943. That wasn't the point of what I was discussing, at all.

I don't want to stereotype you or anything, but consistently missing argumentative cues and micro-analyzing irrelevant details is a classic autistic trait. I guess I don't know whether you're just being a d**che, or if you're truly unable to control yourself. Either way, this is getting ridiculous.

I never claimed to know anything about January 1943. That wasn't the point of what I was discussing, at all.

I don't want to stereotype you or anything, but consistently missing argumentative cues and micro-analyzing irrelevant details is a classic autistic trait. I guess I don't know whether you're just being a d**che, or if you're truly unable to control yourself. Either way, this is getting ridiculous.

Good lord, fella. Since you keep bringing it up - no, I don't have Autism. Or Aspergers. Or anything like that. 

You just don't like being questioned, so you resort to insults. Including accusing those that disagree with you of having mental illnesses.  :lol: